Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
~1980 Ariens 924050
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Last summer, I was given my very first snowblower : ~1980 Ariens 924050, 24 inches with an 8 hp tecumseh engine.

It was not in perfect shape, but after changing some parts (oil, spark plug, belts, grease and carburator gaskets), it runs pretty well for a 40 years old machine. I am not an expert of small engine machines, but I was told Ariens from these times are very good.

My question is about the "smoothness" when starting the machine. Last winter I tried my neighbor's snowblower (also an ariens from the 80's, 32 in with 10 hp). When I pulled the cord to start it, it felt completely different : no effort what so ever, even below 0°F. It started after two pulls. Mine is not hard to start, it just not as easy as my neighbor's. It feels "rougher".

I would like to have your insight about this, what may correct this. Different oil? Changing the engine bearings or seals? Piston rings?

Thank you for your knowledge!
Tristan

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Just to mention that all my units.... , summer, winter, new, old, .... all get 5W30 Full Synthetic oil.

Recoil, oil, condition of engine itself, etc., etc.... Too many variables to pinpoint what the "rougher" feeling could be without maybe an on-hands inspection.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
rougher on the pull? the spring may need some lubricating on the recoil.

"It feels rougher" ......need to be more specific.

like. what kind of weight oil do you use?
have you done compression check?
has it been tuned?
has the valve adjustment been checked?

there are a slew of questions here.

·
Registered
~1980 Ariens 924050
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answers. I'll try to precise the issue.

When I pull the cord, it requires a lot of tension in order to make the engine turn. I feel there is much more friction (both static and dynamic) than my neighbor's. In other words, in both ways it is hard to engage a rotation and to keep it rotating.

For example, my neighbor's engine tends to spin by itself after a good pull. Mine does not turn for as long.

The recoil was completely dissassembled, cleaned and greased this summer. It is old, and I may replace it next season.

I use 5W30 conventional. I will give a try to full synthetic next oil change.

I don't have the equipment to do a compression test, and I did not check the valve adjustment. Like I said, I am not an expert. It is my first small engine equipment.

I am not expecting to pin-point the problem, I just want a general idea of what may cause it, and where to look!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Its something that comes with experience .... The feel or sound will tell someone with experience what it may be. Unfortunately, experience is self learned, and not something that can be taught.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The 8 hp Tecumseh on my big Toro was hard to pull also. I would slowly pull the rope until I felt resistance (compression stroke) then give it a good pull which would only rotate the engine a few revolutions.

Is your neighbors engine the same type (HP) and newer or older than yours? Maybe his compression is weaker !

Welcome to SBF Tristan.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Unfortunately, experience is self learned, and not something that can be taught.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Reactions: 140278

·
Registered
203 Posts
Remove spark plug. Squirt 1 tsp of fresh oil into the spark plug hole to lubricate the cylinder and pull the cord a couple of time. Install spark plug and run machine for a few minute...it will smoke a bit. Tell us if it changes anything.I have owned several machines with tecumseh engines and they were all hard to crank. I would use the electric start on most of them for that reason.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
is it possible that the resistance is not from the engine, but the drive line? if you remove the drive belts, does it get better? Maybe one of the pulleys, etc there?

tx

Reactions: Grunt

·
Registered
~1980 Ariens 924050
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick update here!

I changed the recoil rope, and it really improved the issue. I am surprised how much of a difference it does!

I removed the spark plug, and I believe the hole is not directly above the cylinder. Therefore, oil in there will make its way to the muffler and intake, which is not the goal. Maybe I should try with something "spreable" like WD-40 ?

I also want to thank everybody for your feedback!

Here is a picture of the snowblower in question. Happy new year!

·
2,394 Posts
you have a flat head /side valve motor, the plug is not dead center over the piston like with a overhead valve motor, new rope alone or a new pull assembly? if it's still hard to pull my personal guess is the exhaust valve is out of adjustment which means a lot of work and a good mechanics knowledge ,it's not a job for a layman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts