Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi! my drive belt is not straight on the idler pulley (pic 1). if i pull the pulley on the crankshaft about 1/4 it’s fine (pic 2). can i leave it pulled and lock it there or there’s a better way? thanks!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The idler pully bracket wears out where it connects to the pivot point on the frame. You can either take it apart to fix it, or just put a small spring to hold the idler bracket in towards the frame, so the idler pulley will be in line with the fixed shaft pulley.

·
Registered
994 Posts
hi! my drive belt is not straight on the idler pulley (pic 1). if i pull the pulley on the crankshaft about 1/4 it’s fine (pic 2). can i leave it pulled and lock it there or there’s a better way? thanks!
View attachment 167061 View attachment 167062
I am not familiar with your model so it may operate differently to later models. The Pic 2 appears to give better alignment for both the wheel drive pulley and the impeller pulley. So the set screw can be tightened to set the pulleys at that place.

The belt has to accommodate the drive plate movement when it swings inward (at the bottom of pulley) and changes alignment when the wheel drive clutch is engaged. So when you hold the wheel drive clutch lever to the on position the driven pulley will move left and take the belt with it, that is the alignment you want to be in a straight line (between the drive and driven pulley on the tension side of the belt). When the clutch is released the belt will move right slightly out of alignment from drive pulley. Some Ariens had a problem with the driven pulley moving to far right and caused the belt to come off the pulleys. There was no factory like fix, but owners who complained were told to put a 1/4" inside diameter hose over the threaded part of the stop for the drive plate and affix with a tie wrap. The drive plate stop is near the bottom of the chassis on the left side from the operator's position. The machine would need bucket separated from the engine chassis for access.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re-align the idler pulley. It is out of alignment for sure.

Pull the drive pulley out as far as you can (like in pic 2). And then, re-align the idler pulley so that it is closer to the engine (the belt will touch the other edge on the idler pulley instead). You can put a washer/spacer in there to re-align it.

when you engage drive, the drive disc will position the belt even closer toward the engine. There is a very high change, that your belt will slip out and wear immaturely.

Trust me, it can be out of alignment, even when new. I have saw that many times. I have re-aligned mine as well. Not the drive belt, but the auger belts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It seems like your auger idler pulley can move toward the engine a little as well. Just a little bit.

Check for bent brackets, or loose anything before you re-align it. The brackets are thick and strong, so I don't think they bent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts