Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, for the info, the issue is, Habour freight samples as well as the ones from Princess Auto, all have the release positioned on the push handle as a bicycle grip release, as this one has a foot operated one. It could just be a older version of both companies.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Just searching google images for "Hydraulic Table Cart"....Upper handlebar area for the release does seem to be what I'm finding common.
I wonder if there were changes to the "operator presence" control rules for these.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A little background, that I do know. The equivalent unit at Princess Auto runs $370. tax in, if you are patient you might get it a couple times a year for $260.00. tax in.

A guy from a machine shop had the unit described above as a shop unit and the hand release cable was always breaking.... and he had the unit that I pictured, but he added a floor mount machine and didn't have room for both lifts. After finding the one picture in the post had stopped working again, he listed it for 50 bucks on Kijiji. Sure enough when I get it home it doesn't lift just as he described. I decided to drain the little bit of oil it had in out and replace with hydraulic jack oil. I had turned the unit upside down and removed the plug (not a screw in but a push in) half way up the cylinder. When I flipped the lift over and added 120ml of oil, it still would not pump up. Then I discovered a small steel ball laying on the mat where I had turned the lift over. I knew it had not falling out when I removed the plug for draining. I believe it had been laying on the bottom tray of the lift before I flipped it over.

So one at a time, I removed the cap screw with the slot in it, the left one , shown in the last 2 pics I posted, no place for a ball in there that I could see, so I removed the right hand cap screw with the 10mm socket head, in there I could see a ball that's approx. 7mm in diam., looking below where the ball had been resting, I cleaned out some oil residue with commercial grade Q-tips and I could see a narrow channel with the mystery ball appeared to be the same size and not able to fall all the way thru...this ball is approx... 4mm, so what the heck, I drop the small one in and then the big one and I guess they sit about a 1/2 " apart as the channel has a change in diameter towards the bottom.

Put the the cap screw which also has a copper washer on it , back in and tightened up..........Cart now pumps up, may need to bleed a little more air out of the system, but working great right now.

That's why I was looking for a parts diag for this unit, as the cylinder as pictured above is different than the current Princess Auto units.

Sorry for the long Novel !!!! Maybe tomorrow I will see if it will lift my HS621

BTW, table top measures 32" by 19 1/2 " and lifts to approx. 32" from the ground.

Still would like to find a parts listing for the cylinder ram!!!!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I've found on unknown hydraulics, It's a good idea to probe the area under any cap or plug with a magnetic probe immediately upon removing the plug/cap to find things like this . . .

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestion..... Funny thing is, where I now have the ball bearing and the lift is working, I never had the cap screw out until I tried to find where this ball might go. The lift went from not pumping up at all to pumping up to 29 " before it starts to hesitate...at that point it moves up a little 1/4 " and then falls back, if I help it, it will move up another 1 1/2 ", so I don't know if that's normal, if I still have an air lock or if I am missing a spring. Will keep digging for a manual, so far I haven't found a cylinder that has two openings like mine.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
That sounds like low fluid or air . . . And sounds like the prior owner may have been the one who dorfed the check ball . . . and you got very lucky that it was still there! Also, if a seal let's go, even this generic offshore stuff tends to use standard piston seals, so, if ever needed, a good hydraulic shop should be able to get you what you need.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree on the previous owner trying to fix it, but I feel the price reflected the fact it wasn't working. I was using the PDF for the Princess Auto units and they show how to drain the oil by pulling the small plug half way along the cylinder case, but its on the top so I turned the whole unit up side down to get a good drain on the hydro oil . I always use a old tarp or blanket to catch any mess and on clean up I found the ball on the tarp. I had had a 10 " round cake dish to catch the oil and the ball wasn't in the oil.

I agree on the low oil or air, but I believe there is lots of oil so probably air. The Princess Units call for 120 ml in the similar unit to this and I have all of that in there. I also don't have any leakage other than what I lose by taken a plug out....so will keep playing with it.....Just wish I knew the brand it is. But I do know its wrench and socket plugs are metric size....so probably a C-clone.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So true to form, this morning I received the latest P A flyer May 14-May26, item 8662223, 500lb lift cart is unsale for $260 taxes in.

I am still very pleased with my $50.00 find even with its sluggish performance above 30 ", as well as it has a very consistent lowering speed on like some of reported problems with the current units. Besides it also has a larger table.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts