Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the trigger on a Pro Hydro 32.

I hope the China build Briggs lasts 20 years. I hope the chute control isnt as finicky as I fear it will be. I hope the hydro tranny doesnt break in year 6 and cost me a thousand dollars to fix. I hope the auto turn doesnt make it tough to run in a straight line.

I was thrilled yesterday when I left the dealer. Now I'm worried about all of the above. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Well. As to engines today they do seem very reliable and most of them seem well built too. Originally the Briggs and Tecumseh engines used on snow blowers only had bushings instead of ball bearing supports for the crank shaft and even the old Briggs I have only has an aluminum block with out a cast iron sleeve. The new Harbor Freight Predator 212cc has Ball bearing support on both sides of the crankshaft as well as a Cast Iron sleeve for the piston bore. I feel that the old engines were just ok and not greatly over engineered like the snow blowers them selves were. I do feel that the new engines are built very well too and they are all of newer OHV designs that are loosely based on the Honda Designed OHV. I think you will be alright with the Chinese made OHV engine by Briggs and Stratton I think that they too could last 20 years or so especially if you maintain them well and use a good quality synthetic oil like Amsoil or Mobil 1 or Castrol syntec. As to the Auto turn by Ariens hopefully it will be reliable. I am sure they tested it before releasing it to the public. Although with anything no matter how much you test them it is still Murphy's Law once it is in the hands of the consumer since people will occasionally do something whether intentional or non intentional that can break their equipment.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts

I hope the China build Briggs lasts 20 years. I hope the chute control isnt as finicky as I fear it will be. I hope the hydro tranny doesnt break in year 6 and cost me a thousand dollars to fix. I hope the auto turn doesnt make it tough to run in a straight line.

I was thrilled yesterday when I left the dealer. Now I'm worried about all of the above. Any thoughts?
All I can say is worrying isn't going to do anything. If you're that concerned take it back and get something a couple years old and save yourself a pile of $. My very humble 2¢.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
you could come here and drop off your ariens and i'll do some long term testing for you :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers...

Thanks for the insight on the new engine. I like stuff to last.... There is something special about having a 25 year old machine that looks and runs like new. My old 724 is in the shop getting new belts and friction plate. It's going to my brother who will have it at least 10 more years.

Happy I found this forum.

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts

I dont see any reason why you should worry about any of those things..
there is no precident or evidence for any of them..

and the same sort of worries apply to *any* product you could by..
I worry about car reliability..so I do research and buy a Honda instead of a Kia..I assume you did the same thing and bought a high-end Ariens rather than a $500 Craftsman...you have bought from a product line that has decades of reliability behind it...IMO, you probably bought the snowblower you need to worry about the least..

Scot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts