Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Craftsman snowblower about 8 years old. Throws snow great except when only a couple inches are on the driveway and it wet. Then it just pushes snow. Deeper snow is no problem. My neighbors old Craftsman snowblower works ok in same snow.
Auger is turning fine.
Here is what I have done.
Completely disassembled auger housing, removed rust and repainted.
Checked auger gears and cleaned and re-lubed with proper grease.
Freed augers. Lubed shafts and replaced pins.
Replaced auger shaft bearings and blower shaft bearing.Replaced belts.
Replaced scraper blade.
Freed idler puller and lubed pivot.
Like I said, Auger continues to turn well, just pushed wet snow when it's only a few inches.
Any ideas? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
I won't pull my two stage blower out unless there's at least 6" of snow on the ground. I use my SS for smaller amounts.
You may try spraying the bottom of your auger bucket with some type of lubricant such as WD-40 or straight silicone spray. There are lubricants designed specifically for this but I have never tried them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. have tried silicone with no luck. Like I said, neighbors older model Craftsman works fine in same snow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Some of that could have to do with how close you have it set to the ground. I use silicone spray on the bucket and chute and it works pretty well especially if the snow is a little wet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Thank you for the reply. have tried silicone with no luck. Like I said, neighbors older model Craftsman works fine in same snow.
Adjust your auger bucket. Place paint stir sticks under it and adjust to that height. If this doesn't cure the problem I have no other ideas.
Is your scraper bar in good condition?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The scraper is new. So you saying the thickness of a paint stirrer. That would be about 1/8 inch where I have it set. Are you saying that too low will cause my problem? Or are you saying I have adjusted too high is the problem? Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
I think what Micah is saying is that maybe your augers are set to high so they are not processing the snow. I put paint sticks under the scraper bar and then set the skid shoes down to pavement. On a flat service how far off the pavement is your augers?

so you say you had these problems AFTER you did all this work or you had the same problem before and after?

This may be a long shot but I had a guy bring me a Honda and had the same problem. He installed the augers backwards so it would also push snow.and not suck it in to impeller. I think it would also push deeper snow so if your augers are running right I am also stumped.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
The scraper is new. So you saying the thickness of a paint stirrer. That would be about 1/8 inch where I have it set. Are you saying that too low will cause my problem? Or are you saying I have adjusted too high is the problem? Thanks for the response.
Not saying anything except suggesting proper scraper bar height. 1/8" is good. I have no other helpful ideas. Bar in good condition, properly adjusted and has been sprayed with repellent... I have no more ideas. It should be working.

·
Registered
994 Posts
When the bucket loads with snow and pushes it forward, what is happening at the impeller? Sounds like the chute is being blocked by the wet snow. What is the gap between impeller blades and the impeller housing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the famous impeller mod where you remove gap by installing a piece of mudflap between impeller and housing. Ever since mod it rarely clogs.
This problem existed prior to me rebuilding. Unit was getting rusty so I hoped that maybe this would fix my problem also. I double checked augers to make sure they were on correctly. They are on right. In deeper snow, no problem.
I had adjusted so scraper plate touched driveway also. This made no difference.
Guess I'll just have to use it as a snowplow when it's not to deep
I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
there is another thread here somewhere showing a vid of the same issue, not sure if it ever got resolved.

·
Registered
871 Posts
if snow is getting scraped into bucket then its got to be that the auger is set too high within the bucket, probably that's the way it was manufactured or auger blades got worn down.
for testing for the coming winter set blade to ground level and see if u get same results.

fyi its much easier to use any single stage for low amounts of snow, even if its the wet stuff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sad thing is, that video showing the Toro single stage looks exactly like the one I got rid of in favor of a 2 stage. Mine was a little older though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts