Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum members I have an Ariens 1332 Pro model number 924505 built in 2001.
Still have the original light that came with the unit an auto 1156 incandescent bulb. I want to replace the light bulb ONLY to an LED not add a full LED light bar like I see many do. I want a plug and play LED bulb that doesn’t flicker or burn out in a day or two. I’ve tried to order a number of LED 1156 bulbs online and none seem to not flicker or last. My machine has a 12v battery electrical starter system so I assumed a bulb change would be a breeze as opposed to a magneto only machine. Well I’ve tried a load of 1156 LED’s from eBay and Amazon and they all seem to flicker and fail.
Anyone have a tip on a 1156 LED that they hav found that doesn’t flicker or fail after a few days ⁉

·
Registered
527 Posts
Iirc , The 12v system is for charging and starting. The heated grips and bulb run off AC power, hence why your blowing the LED's up.

·
Somebody
3,557 Posts
I've used these in various equipment and vehicles with very good results. Super bright, zero failures.

Also, as MM mentioned you might be getting A/C at the light; you might have better luck wiring the light and switch directly to your battery.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the responses guys I assumed the 1156 incandescent auto bulb ran on DC current like a car.I’ll need to put a meter on it and figure out what the bulb is running.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am glad I saw this post. I was going to post something similar because I am looking for the exact same thing. I have a Noma with a 1156 headlight that I would like to upgrade to led. I look forward to this thread.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Beyond what everyone else has also said, many of the cheap LED replacement bulbs don't handle vibrations well. Look for ones 'rated' for motorcycle use; search google for "motorcycle 1156 LED" versus just "1156 LED."

·
Registered
329 Posts
Some of the Mechanics where I work put these LED lights on there blowers and then come ask me why they are not very bright ( 9 to 36 volt rating with a built in diode so they do not blow up on AC )

Automotive lighting Rectangle Line Material property Font

Most snow blowers run AC direct from the alternator without any thought towards DC loads.
It was never even a consideration when these older machines were built.
So what you need to do is mount a bridge like this someplace clean and dry to run your new LED lights.
Product Rectangle Font Auto part Gas

I would like to add some new lights to mine as well.
Some flashing blue ones to mess with people.....
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font Rolling Automotive parking light

1 - 10 of 10 Posts