Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I posted awhile back with some questions about my 1967 Ariens snowblower (10M5 series) that I inherited from my neighbor. I'm in the process of getting it ready to be stored over the spring/summer, and had a (sorry, probably ignorant) question about one of the parts that I thought was for draining the fuel out of the gas tank, but apparently isn't. I haven't found a way to attach a photo here, so I'll describe it the best I can.

It's a small screw-like knob underneath the gas tank. The black knob can be loosened and tightened, but doesn't come off all the way, and there is a thin black rubber hose attached to the top left-hand side of it that can be pulled off, and goes to the left into the engine.

I found the operator's manual for my machine online, but it unfortunately doesn't show this part, and I have searched, but can't find a Tecumseh engine manual that goes with my model (any links to this would be much appreciated!). I'm wondering if it's a fuel shut off valve and, if so, is 'off' tightened all the way?

Again, my apologies for sounding ignorant - this is my first snowblower and I'm learning. A relative of mine took it in to a repair shop to have it tuned up and started this fall, and only gave me pretty basic information about running it. It's been running well, and I want to make sure I take the best care of it I can. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello! I posted awhile back with some questions about my 1967 Ariens snowblower (10M5 series) that I inherited from my neighbor. I'm in the process of getting it ready to be stored over the spring/summer, and had a (sorry, probably ignorant) question about one of the parts that I thought was for draining the fuel out of the gas tank, but apparently isn't. I haven't found a way to attach a photo here, so I'll describe it the best I can.

It's a small screw-like knob underneath the gas tank. The black knob can be loosened and tightened, but doesn't come off all the way, and there is a thin black rubber hose attached to the top left-hand side of it that can be pulled off, and goes to the left into the engine.

I found the operator's manual for my machine online, but it unfortunately doesn't show this part, and I have searched, but can't find a Tecumseh engine manual that goes with my model (any links to this would be much appreciated!). I'm wondering if it's a fuel shut off valve and, if so, is 'off' tightened all the way?

Again, my apologies for sounding ignorant - this is my first snowblower and I'm learning. A relative of mine took it in to a repair shop to have it tuned up and started this fall, and only gave me pretty basic information about running it. It's been running well, and I want to make sure I take the best care of it I can. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
That knob is your fuel shutoff. Tighten it when not using your machine. This way, if for some reason your carburetor float fails you will not wind up with your entire gas tank contents all over your garage/shed floor. Loosen/open it to run your machine.

You can also use this to drain the tank. Tighten/close it, then remove the hose from the side of it and attach another hose to a gas can. Open the valve and drain the tank. When done put the hose to the engine back one and you're done.

Thumper

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Most of these valves are 1/4 turn on/off but you may have an older valve that you have to keep turning both to open and to close.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
For around $35 I'm a big fan of this.

Simple way to suck all the gas out of a tank. Most gas tanks have a lip and screen at the base of the tank that allows quite a bit of fuel to remain. I simply tip the machine to gather the fuel at a corner and suck it out.

If the tank has a lot of fuel in it I'll use a basic siphon to bring the level down first. I have a lot of machines, and this thing is a big time saver when it comes time to prep for storage.

Remember to drain the float bowl too. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
My dads' 67 10m5 had the screw type fuel shut off. In the 90's the tank was getting rusty and converted to the plastic version with a separate 1/4 turn valve and filter.

Just for your info, the screw type has a screen for the filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts