Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can someone tell me what the physical difference betwee the 33328 and the 33329 starter motors is?

I have a new to me 8HP Ariens that needs a starter and a starter from an older 7HP Ariens which will not work - I cut he tabs to fit...

TIA

Ray

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
the mounts are different, they have the same number of teeth. only thing left would be the torque rating or body size

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Starters

I honestly don't know, but in addition to teeth on the starter there's the possiblity of 'torque'.

I've seen a starter listed for 5 hp through 7 or 8 hp, but the 5 hp I have takes a 33290 due to a different type flywheel cover. The 33328 takes a bulge in the flywheel cover to fit in while the 33290 has a tab that's removed from the flywheel cover and mounts on the outside. The 33290 also only has 3 bolt holes while the others have 4.
I have used a 33328 on 7 through 10 HP, though supposedly a 10 hp takes a 37000. I have not found one incapable of turning the motor over, though again that may be a possible.

One thing to watch is there are starters with 16 teeth, while there is another with a finer teeth count. I think you can just switch the gear on them but I've not done it so I can't say with absolute certainty that's true.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts