Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking a new ariens this week.

I would like to fire it up and run it for a bit at WOT. I want to break it in and change the oil at least once before the snow flies.

I was reading that the current engines on snowblowers should not be operate for more than 15 minutes if the ambient outside is above 45F?

Is that true? supposedly the cooling on the engines is tailored to operation for the cold.

if this is so, can one at least operate the engine for 15 minutes at a crack and let it thoroughly cool down and then repeat?

I like to change oil in new engines frequently, to get the wear metals out.
I dont feel like changing it in January, would prefer to get one change in and then maybe after the first storm in dec.

·
Registered
140 Posts
it is best to break them in under load.
Break in under load might help the piston rings seat better so i can see how this method could work best.

When i buy a new motorcycle i ride it hard in 3rd gear (just before the red line and let the engine back down, then repeat...) before it hits 90 miles on the odometer but that is my choice and go's against what the Manuel says to-do.

I have seen race teams perform similar actions to their new motors... but i know a SB is no race motor!

·
Registered
346 Posts
You don't necessarily have to wait until the first storm, however having a load to put the machine under would be ideal circumstances.
When you get the machine, drain the manufacturer's oil from the crankcase, add some conventional oil, and run it. You can surely do it for 15 minutes at a time. This will at least help start the break-in process. If you're really ambitious, drain the oil again to remove any metal shavings before the first storm

·
Registered
128 Posts
You could always prop a box fan on a bucket next to the blower to keep air moving over the engine and keep it from overheating.

If you want to put a load on it, put the bucket against a brick wall and cycle the drive on and off. That will load the engine, but it might be at the cost of the drive belt if you're too aggressive.

·
Registered
756 Posts
ring break in occurs best under a load. Running the engine with no load will do little to break in the rings. You could start it up put it first gear and hold back on it while you let go down the driveway. While this wont put a huge load on the engine it will put some. I would not do that for any extended period in warm weather conditions. Just wait a few weeks and it will get much cooler. Carl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts