Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
To prevent Carb. icing, snow blowers use a heat box to enclose some exhaust heat . A bigger muffler would run cooler,and may require a different heat box . I would like to hear how HF ' Predator ' engine converters handle this .

My predator iced up, removed air filter, much better . Would like to see a * Winter * version of these engines .
I have a Predator 212cc on my snowblower and it is a lot quieter than the anemic Tecumseh 5hp that was on it. The Predator 212cc has a multi baffle muffler which is modeled after the Honda designed. Much quieter especially if stock with the factory intake. I have a baffle straight pipe on my 50+ mph Rupp Roadster 2 with Mukuni and that is louder along with the bilit rod and flywheel had it up up to 52 mph on a short drive last fall.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Heh, that's quite a collection of cars! A Cobra? Awesome.

For the original question, I'd expect that cost is certainly half of the issue (probably more than half). But as was said, the usage situations probably also factor into the generator being quieter. A machine that might run 24 hours a day is going to have more motivation to be quiet (especially when the neighbors may not have their own ability to even make white noise!). Nobody wants to listen to something roaring away at 2AM. While the snowblower will be used for a shorter period of time, and probably during waking hours.

A few years after we bought our house, an ice storm hit, and we lost power for 3 days. We didn't have a generator, of course, so were sitting in the cold and dark. After a day, our next door neighbor procured a generator, so we got to listen to that (rubbing salt in the wounds :) ). The kicker was that it had a bit of a carb problem, so it surged the whole time. It's a bummer trying to sleep in the cold house, listening to a generator facing the bedroom that's going vrrrRRROOMM-vrrrRRROOMM-vrrrRRROOMM-vrrrRRROOMM..... :)

Now we have an EU2000i setup, so the lights stay on, and they just sit there and purr. Ahhh, much better. To each their own, but I'll happily take quiet equipment.
I understand your pain. I have a 10HP Coleman Portable Generator, this thing sounds like it came off a Harley. The few times I have used it I'm sure half the block could hear. I have changed over to a Standby generator and it is much more quiet.

A few people here commented that the Honda mufflers are very quiet. Could they be retrofitted onto a Ariens snowblower?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have a Predator 212cc on my snowblower and it is a lot quieter than the anemic Tecumseh 5hp that was on it. The Predator 212cc has a multi baffle muffler which is modeled after the Honda designed. Much quieter especially if stock with the factory intake. I have a baffle straight pipe on my 50+ mph Rupp Roadster 2 with Mukuni and that is louder along with the bilit rod and flywheel had it up up to 52 mph on a short drive last fall.
I agree out of all the equipment I've had come through. I think the honda small engine is the quietest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
In my opinion they don't want them quiet as to hide all the other noises the machines make while in operation.. Many would be trying to get repairs that were not needed

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't believe modifications would work unless the muffler is damaged and can be repaired. It's possible to replace your existing muffler with a quitter one. However, mufflers create resistance (called back pressure) and adding resistance can have an adverse impact on your snow blower.
The back pressure was only true on 2 cycle motors with a resonant length to match the half wave
Length of air pressure at max RPM which is why at half speed the muffler added a load

·
Registered
62 Posts
If people riding Harleys truly wanted to be noticed by all, they would point their loud exhaust forward, not backward. of course, then you would also be noticed by law enforcement. this is coming from a 35 year Motorcycle rider, who was run off the road twice by distracted drivers. Loud pipes would not have helped in either case. I always try and make everything I own as quiet as possible- that way, I can get away with whatever I please.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts