• You paid a bit too much

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • This was a fair deal for both

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • You got a good deal

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • You got an excellent deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Damn, you stole this thing off that guy!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might have read my previous threads about purchasing a new snowblower.

I was originally thinking about buying a brand new snowblower. My budget for a new snowblower was cut drastically, because of having to put a new roof on my house ($9,000.....ouch). So I had been looking around for a used blower.

My main objective was to get a blower in decent condition, but nice and strong, my minimum was 10HP as my previous 5HP was not cutting it anymore.

I saw this baby advertised a few days ago, and couldn't resist. I think its about 10 years old, but in great shape, starts and runs perfect. I will take the summer to go over it, and inspect it, to make sure everything is perfect, as I am a bit OCD that way.

Things I plan on doing....disassembling the auger, inspecting the gears, replacing the oil seals, re-lubricate upon assembly (which brings up a question of which lubricant to use in there?), inspect auger/shaft bearing, replace if nessessary....replace belts if required, disassemble and clean carb, replace spark plug, and do an oil change,

Its an MTD/Yardman 29 inch 10.5HP tecumseh.....I paid $280 Canadian for it, which I think is about $200USD.....which I think is a pretty good deal, what do you guys think??

IMG_20200611_162353.jpg IMG_20200611_162403.jpg IMG_20200611_162415.jpg IMG_20200612_143105.jpg

·
Registered
947 Posts
Should do fine. I suggest adding a belt cover to keep the belts dry and installing an impeller kit to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
$206 USD

fair deal to both of you, good price, on the cheaper side

Check the RPMs, 3450-3600

Use synthetic grease on the auger shaft

Reactions: jerryvvv

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i think the seller came out ahead on that. those machine just are not worth that much with thin the metal is and how easy stuff bends. last one i bought with that type of bucket only cost me $40 and then the one before that only cost me $20 and it was a 10hp/28" machine. it wasn't the fancy model with the deflector control but it could have likely been converted for not too much. i feel like considering the what shape the machine is in and its age $150-200 would have been a fair price. you can see the bucket looks like it will need maintenance/parts. most likely need new skids which will cost about $30. i wouldn't be surprised if you found some worn out bushings. heck even my yard works machine cost me less than $100 and it is newer than yours with the briggs and straton OHV 250cc engine. it is only a 26" machine but even if i had to buy the parts needed to fix it would have still been under $200. mine also has the longer style skids which i think they realizes was necessary with how much the buckets bend without them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i think the seller came out ahead on that.
yeah i get the point, this is your third post saying i payed too much, enough already,

to each their own i guess,

im not really hurting for money, and even if i end up spending another $100-$200 on this machine (which im sure i dont need to), i still consider it to be a good deal, these older 10HP tecumseh engines are solid, and will last a lifetime,

the fellow i bought it from was losing his house because of covid and losing his job, there was a sold sign on his lawn,

he was asking $300 for it, and i offered $250, he accepted the $250 because he was desperate, and i felt bad so i gave him $280

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i still consider it to be a good deal, these older 10HP tecumseh engines are solid, and will last a lifetime,
when it comes to snowblowers most of the time it comes down to who owns it and how they take care of it. look at what it takes to adjust the exhaust valve on one of them Tecumseh engines. it is a lot more work than a newer OHV engine and it seems like a common issue that has to be dealt with eventually. the OHV engines are noticeably better on fuel. other than engines and shoot/controls they never really changed much on this style machine. pretty sure you can get a taller shoot off a newer machine if you felt the need for it. i guess as long as you are happy with it that is all that matter

at least you over paid for good cause.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
yeah i get the point, this is your third post saying i payed too much, enough already,

to each their own i guess,

im not really hurting for money, and even if i end up spending another $100-$200 on this machine (which im sure i dont need to), i still consider it to be a good deal, these older 10HP tecumseh engines are solid, and will last a lifetime,

the fellow i bought it from was losing his house because of covid and losing his job, there was a sold sign on his lawn,

he was asking $300 for it, and i offered $250, he accepted the $250 because he was desperate, and i felt bad so i gave him $280
Ha, I have done the same thing. That is giving people more than they asked or more than the negotiated price because I felt better for it after learning their circumstances. having done hundreds and hundreds of buying and selling over decades I am pretty sure I know the genuine article so to speak. Plus I sleep better at night. It's not about winning . Its about win-win.

Anyways ,if it looked like a fair deal to you , that is all that matters. As with most snowblowers It depends on how the owner takes care of it. I usually just deal with Honda but have worked on all brands from time to time. The owner has a lot to do with condition with machine regardless of cheapness of brand or quality of brand.

I have worked on 5 year old Honda's that are JUNK because owner abused it and never took care of it and have worked on heavily used 25-30 year machines that are in excellent working order because the owner was proactive on maintenance .

good luck with your machine next winter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gave my new baby a fresh oil change today, thought it would be better to have nice new oil sitting in the engine over the summer, then old oil,

I will probably do another oil change in the fall before winter, just because its so cheap and easy,

Didn't take pics, because there isn't much to see with an oil change.....Lol....but maybe I will keep updating this thread with pics in the future of the work I do over the summer (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts