Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of an Ariens 924120 - 1024 Sno-Thro from 2000.

However, the only reason I got it is because my neighbor blew the 10hp Tecumseh engine that was on it. He asked me if I would like it for parts.

Heck Yes!

Now I have to decide if I should re-power with a new Briggs and Stratton 14.5 GT (just like the unit I put on my Bolens), or use the LCT 414cc engine that I have. The B&S translates roughly to a 10HP unit (like the HP that the Tecumseh put out) while the LCT roughly translates to 12HP.

I am sure that the B&S would have plenty of power while the LCT could be overkill. However, the LCT is just calling out to be used, and this Ariens is a really nice machine! :icon-shrug:

Another thing, I already bought the adapter plate to mount a B&S where there was a Tecumseh originally mounted. I don't know yet how the mounting holes on the LCT would line up.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
lct but iam bias i have one
outside gov hole vs middle i went from 3576 to 3835 crisp now
you can also put the30 sho 2.75 top pulley on it if your 414cc has a 1 inch shaft
2.50 is stock non sho
lct rates the safe max rpm 3850 plus minus 50

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I am wondering if there are any deals on the B & S engines, like the one that OPE Engines had last year - $220 for the 1450 series snow engine. ???

I'd go with the LCT if it is just sitting there.

Have you been able to put the Bolens/Briggs machine through the paces this season?

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
If you already have the LCT, that makes the most sense if it fits. I have not seen the B&S so I don't know how wide it is on the front of the engine, but the LCT is fairly wide as is the Subaru (so it appears). I've got a 291 LCT on the shelf and there are a couple of gotchas for me to use it in my case. The width is one item I'll have to deal with. Another is the lack of a throttle as that's something I want to see if I can rig up.

·
Banned
474 Posts
A member reported Subaru has exited the small engine business and he is already finding it difficult to obtain parts. There will be no rush by aftermarket manufacturers to produce parts as the numbers are not there like the Tecumseh when they went out. If true about the exit it will be nothing more than a boat anchor in a few years and would stay away from it.

The absence of a throttle control on a larger machine would be a cost cutting measure only.:sad2:

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
A member reported Subaru has exited the small engine business and he is already finding it difficult to obtain parts. There will be no rush by aftermarket manufacturers to produce parts as the numbers are not there like the Tecumseh when they went out. If true about the exit it will be nothing more than a boat anchor in a few years and would stay away from it.

The absence of a throttle control on a larger machine would be a cost cutting measure only.:sad2:
Good to know on the Subaru engines.
On the throttle thing, I think you're right. Then again it could be some govt thing, you never know. If there's enough demand, someone will come up with one in time (I hope).

·
Registered
985 Posts
My Ariens has the 414 cc LCT engine with 20 ft lbs of torque. It is a great engine. Fires on first pull of starter and immediately shut off the choke and engine runs smoothly. Has enormous power compared to my previous machine's 11 hp Tecumseh. The engine does not sound noisy to me and the controls for choke, primer, throttle and fuel supply are easy to use. The gas tank is small at about 3 liters.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Congrats on the new machine! Especially if it was free!!

I believe that's the model # of mine, a 1024 Pro, 24" bucket. Does that sound right for yours?

If so, one thing I've considered from looking at mine (relative to other engine options) is that the chute rotation controls attach to the cylinder head, bolting to the holes for the OHV valve cover.

You'd need to make sure that the engine would still permit mounting the chute bracket somehow.

It's already pretty powerful as is, with the 318cc OHV Tecumseh. Given the narrow bucket, I think you wouldn't make full use of a ~420cc engine unless you also used a larger pulley, to speed up the impeller & augers.

That way you throw further, and would also process & toss more snow per second, allowing a faster ground speed without the snow overflowing around the side of the bucket.

I've considered trying to make this change on mine. But with that much extra power on tap, I think it would almost be a waste NOT to speed up the impeller. Otherwise you'd somewhat rarely be able to fully load the engine. It was already a fairly high power-to-bucket-width ratio from the factory.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
iam pretty sure either member shaw or elaw350 has already done the swap with the 414 420 on a 24
id rather have the oh318 tec engine then the brigs it has more torque should be almost a bolt on
easy to up the engine rpm and over drive it as well
i can load my 28 inch bucket just fine with the 414 even taking 1/2 buckets
more power so nice for eod

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am wondering if there are any deals on the B & S engines, like the one that OPE Engines had last year - $220 for the 1450 series snow engine. ???

I'd go with the LCT if it is just sitting there.

Have you been able to put the Bolens/Briggs machine through the paces this season?
That deal from last year is where I bought 4 of those B&S engines. One went on my Bolens. One I sold to a guy who works at a local small engine repair shop. I have two left. The LCT I got from somewhere else on the interweb - but can't remember off hand where.

The Bolens runs great! It's been my main machine this winter and it really throws the snow.

But regarding the choice of engines for the Ariens - the LCT is just too large. It doesn't leave much room to access the controls - it sits too close to the handle bars. So the B&S it is.

I am going to record the re-power project and share on youtube as soon as possible.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on the new machine! Especially if it was free!!

I believe that's the model # of mine, a 1024 Pro, 24" bucket. Does that sound right for yours?

If so, one thing I've considered from looking at mine (relative to other engine options) is that the chute rotation controls attach to the cylinder head, bolting to the holes for the OHV valve cover.

You'd need to make sure that the engine would still permit mounting the chute bracket somehow.
Yep, it seems that we have the same machine.

I do have to figure out where the chute controls will be mounted. If it's not a simple bolt up, I do have access to a metal fabrication shop so I will come up with something.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Bolens runs great! It's been my main machine this winter and it really throws the snow..
I am reminded of a problem though. When I first fire up the machine, it fires right up and runs great. Then I load it on my trailer and take it to the next job, it doesn't want to start. The first time I had this happen, I ended up flooding the carb because I kept pumping the primer.

I took it home and the next day, it fired up again. OK, says I, it was some fluke.

The next time I had it on the trailer, same thing. Then again a third time.

Here is what I found - After a ride in the open air trailer, it has no spark. I am wondering if the cold air is somehow causing an ignition issue. After allowing it to sit for a few hours, or over night, it starts up just fine.

I am thinking about making some type of engine cover for it to see if it makes a difference.

And if I put the same engine on the new Ariens, is it going to be a problem with that one as well.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
That sounds odd Scott....I can't figure why you should lose spark just going down the road.......I've had needles jam up in the seat from overly rough bouncing with an empty carburetor...but never experienced a spark issue.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Seems strange to me too. If stored in outside temperatures (like a shed), then the engine is already at the ambient outdoor temperature.

Driving it around on a truck in that same temperature doesn't change anything.

Wind-chill is felt because you are warmer than the ambient air. Airflow speeds up the heat transfer, and you get cold faster.

But if the engine is at that temperature already, and it's dry (no evaporative cooling), then the wind shouldn't change anything. The engine shouldn't "notice" it, I would think.

I'm not disputing what you're observing. But I'd wonder about other possible causes. The bouncing around messing with a safety switch under the seat, something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I didn’t realize you still had a Briggs readily available.

Definitely Briggs then

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
iam pretty sure either member shaw or elaw350 has already done the swap with the 414 420 on a 24
Not sure about a 24" but we've both done swaps on older 32" Ariens machines. http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/ariens-snowblowers/69882-st1032-restoration.html starting in the middle of page 15.

But I must say I think an engine like that would be overkill for a 24" blower. Not that that's necessarily a problem but you'd be putting $ and effort into horsepower you'll never use.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe it's the road spray getting water (and salt) in the engine somewhere. After awhile, it dries out? I don't get it either.

The last time it happened, I checked for spark and got nothing. I walked away for the night but the next day, I gave the rope a pull and it fired right up! It's been several days now since it's been used (and not trailered), it starts right up every day that I give the rope a pull.

I will certainly let you know if I figure it out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe it's the road spray getting water (and salt) in the engine somewhere. After awhile, it dries out? I don't get it either.

The last time it happened, I checked for spark and got nothing. I walked away for the night but the next day, I gave the rope a pull and it fired right up! It's been several days now since it's been used (and not trailered), it starts right up every day that I give the rope a pull.

I will certainly let you know if I figure it out.
Buy a cover for it I think road spray or if you use it before you load it might have moisture getting in there. Just my 2cents. Or a shorted switch but that should solve itself by sitting. I bought a cover for mine just to keep the salt off they are cheap enough.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts