Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's a Wheel Horse emblem but it's close. All the ones I researched have a wheel under the horse. But it's awful close, good eye. I wonder if that Lawn-boy used a different engine manufacturer back then ??

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have one of those Outboard Marine Lawn Boy mowers from 1967 (orignally yellow); 2 cycle on a magnesium platform with a downward exhaust that uses the grass to muffle the noise. Needs rings right now because it lacks compression when cold. With that off-set wheel, it's remarkably maneuverable and very light . . . . ideal for small lawns.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
I fund a pic of a toro like that some years ago but it is on my other computer which is out for repairs

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I don't think it's a Wheel Horse emblem but it's close. All the ones I researched have a wheel under the horse. But it's awful close, good eye. I wonder if that Lawn-boy used a different engine manufacturer back then ??

At 1 time Lawn boy was not owned or part of TORO. They bought them up some time in the 90's. I think???????

·
Registered
397 Posts
". . . I wonder if that Lawn-boy used a different engine manufacturer back then ?? . . ."
Because Outboard Marine owned Johnson and Evinrude Outboard Marine Engines, I think they've always used their own facilities to manufacture Lawn Boy's 2 Cycle engines . . . . right there in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Waukegan, Illinois. That's probably not true for the later 4 Cycles used on the Lawn Tractors.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Because Outboard Marine owned Johnson and Evinrude Outboard Marine Engines, I think they've always used their own facilities to manufacture Lawn Boy's 2 Cycle engines . . . . right there in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Waukegan, Illinois. That's probably not true for the later 4 Cycles used on the Lawn Tractors.
The Iron Horse's flywheel even looks like a test prop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts