Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting on another ariens 10/32 rebuild.
Sadly this one will be lots of work as it has had a hard life, lots of worn stuff. I'll keep pixx as I go as to help others that want to do one of thier own machines.

Augers were a bear to get apart, then gearbox was bad. After teardown it was a bad inboard bearing, which also took out the impeller shaft seal.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Are you sure the autopsy you have done will not sway you from taking it to the happy hunting ground?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Are you going to keep the original engine? I picked up the same blower last year...sans engine....and will restore this winter. I'm trying to decide on the power unit....maybe the 13 hp Predator?

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Are you going to keep the original engine? I picked up the same blower last year...sans engine....and will restore this winter. I'm trying to decide on the power unit....maybe the 13 hp Predator?

the 13hp predator is an awesome engine for that blower but requires longer belts, belt cover risers and the engine basically sits on the edge of the frame. i got mine as a "fresh off the truck" special on ebay for 160 bucks brand new and it has more power then you will ever need. it also opens up a way for you to build your own custom electrical system like i did with mine, there are pics of her on here somewhere

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure the autopsy you have done will not sway you from taking it to the happy hunting ground?
It's an Ariens....... NEVER !!!

Always worth rebuilding. I'll take a 1980 10 / 32 rebuilt by me over a 2018 machine anyday. I'll have less than a thousand bucks into it and it will be better than you can buy.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Cranman, I bought a 414 ( 12.5 hp ) LCT engine for this project. This will be my second one with this engine, just a few mods to make it work. Last one came out nice, performed flawlessly

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It's an Ariens....... NEVER !!!

Always worth rebuilding. I'll take a 1980 10 / 32 rebuilt by me over a 2018 machine anyday. I'll have less than a thousand bucks into it and it will be better than you can buy.
======================================================================

Your right of course, I wish I still had the first 2 Toro Snow Pups I bought I should have just had them repaired and I would have four of them in my stable rather than the two pups I have now.:crying:

_____________________________________________________________________________________
I keep denying my snow blower sickness/obsession:grin:

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
842 Posts
doubt it would be hard to start, glow plugs and electric starter, make it more like my yanmar tractor that fires right up at 0 degs

( Easy to start
designed with automatic decompression, more convenient for user operation; in terms of cold start, the engine with electric starter adopts a electric heating plug to heat the air inlet as to guarantee an easy start for users even in cold conditions.)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shaw, how much was shipping? Length of time? The lct engines say fixed speed, any easy way to make it adjustable?
It was $75 truck freight to Massachusetts, was only about a week from ordering to delivery. About fixed speed..... I never looked under the shroud to see how it was setup,, guessing it's like a generator.

I personally don't like a fixed speed as I warm up my stuff mid rpm range for a few minutes, and I don't like running a cold engine at max rpm. I'm not sure about the lubrication system on an lct engine, but I believe " Dipper " style engines are designed to have proper lubrication at max rpm.

But not all users have the knowledge we mechanics do on these engines / machines, for those people I'm guessing it's easier to operate. Flip switch on, prime, start and go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts