Moving onto the attachment I have new outer bushings and impeller shaft bearing. I noticed on the 1970 attachment the right side rake sits left of center and was up tight against the gear box. Removing the rake i saw why, it seems someone previously had broken a shear bolt and instead of properly removing it they instead drilled another hole in the shaft.
This really irritates me, someone doing hack work instead of doing it right. I probably would just leave it alone but since i have all the extra parts i will change it out with the 1971 shaft. I have the 1971 attachment all dismantled and got done cleaning all the parts to see whats good or not. I learned a few things taking the gear case apart to get the shaft out.
- The shaft had many scratches and gouges that needed to be smoothed down in order to slid off the gear case cover then ultimately get the shaft out. I used a good metal hand file and spent a decent amount of time fixing these areas. The high spots were around the shear bolt locations, roll pin locations and where the washers spun around the shaft.
- The bushings inside the case are in great condition and can be reused. I'm guessing the gear oil properly lubricates these bushings so they hardly wore down. i measured them with calipers and compared them to a set of new bushings I have, they are the same thickness.
Oil seal removed to check fitment of the bushing to the shaft, looks good to me.
This specific attachment has leaks at the oil seals. The other attachment does not have any leaks i can see so i hope to reuse those oil seals, i shall find out when i tear into it.
Gap between the oil seal and the shaft. This oil seal is junk.
The gear and the helicon part of the impeller shaft are in great condition.
Getting the roll pin out of the gear was a pain. It was actually cracked in half lengthwise. I dont have roll pin punches so i use old drill bits of the same size, turn them around to use the shaft side against the roll pins. This has been working well so far. i drove the roll pin out through the fill hole of the gear case, which turned out there wasnt enough room and the roll pin hit the back of the gear case. Thankfully the roll pin was already cracked so i use a big screwdriver to break it into pieces, I was then able to rotate the gear counter clock wise until the roll pin was lined up with the drain hole of the gear case, there was just enough room this way to knock the roll pin out.
I went and picked up a new roll pin at the local hardware store. All they had was a 5/16x2" so i will have to cut it down. i got this in case the other roll pin in the other gear case is also broken.
Since I have the rake assembly out this is a good time to remove the fork assembly and clean everything up. All the hardware and bearing flanges are filthy and rusted in need of a good cleaning.