Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I'm looking to buy a new snow blower for my 20'W x 40'L 2-Car Driveway.

We live in the Denver Metro Area...not in the Mountains were they get some very serious snow.

I believe I have narrowed my choices to the following in the $600 - $700 range:

• Craftsman 24in. 208cc Model# 88173
  • Sno-Tek 24in. 208cc Model# 920402
  • * feel free to suggest another option if you like
I want something that can not only handle the driveway / sidewalk, but because I live on a Emergency Snow Route Street...the plows leave a nice berm in the street in-front of the driveway that I would like to be able to tackle before it gets out of hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
These are similar to the snowblower I have been using on a similar sized driveway and either one should do the job just fine. It is just necessary to slow down a little bit at the end of the driveway. I like the looks of the auger gear case setup on the Sno Tek better than the Craftsman though.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If those are your choices you'll want to choose the Ariens. More bang for your buck.
If you're handy you may want to check local craigslist for a good used blower.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.

If those are your choices you'll want to choose the Ariens. More bang for your buck.
If you're handy you may want to check local craigslist for a good used blower.
Thanks Joe!

Me handy...I don't think so. :)

Do you have any other suggestions in this price range?

Mitch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are similar to the snowblower I have been using on a similar sized driveway and either one should do the job just fine. It is just necessary to slow down a little bit at the end of the driveway. I like the looks of the auger gear case setup on the Sno Tek better than the Craftsman though.
Thanks for the info...I'll remember to put it in 1st gear.

I'll take a look at the auger gear case...anything in particular.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Hi:

I'm looking to buy a new snow blower for my 20'W x 40'L 2-Car Driveway.

We live in the Denver Metro Area...not in the Mountains were they get some very serious snow.

I believe I have narrowed my choices to the following in the $600 - $700 range:

• Craftsman 24in. 208cc Model# 88173
  • Sno-Tek 24in. 208cc Model# 920402
  • * feel free to suggest another option if you like
I want something that can not only handle the driveway / sidewalk, but because I live on a Emergency Snow Route Street...the plows leave a nice berm in the street in-front of the

driveway that I would like to be able to tackle before it gets out of hand.
Here ya go... SNOWBLOWER
Built by Ariens

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm in Castle Rock so we see a bit more snow then the metro area. I have a Honda HS 1332 for about the same size drive. I also like to keep the street side walk area cleared in front of my yard which equates to about 100X12' area.

I'm sure you could find something smaller/cheaper to do the trick, but being a big fan of Honda power equipment I chose this and am very satisfied. Nothing better than throwing the snow 50+ in the air!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Castle Rock so we see a bit more snow then the metro area. I have a Honda HS 1332 for about the same size drive. I also like to keep the street side walk area cleared in front of my yard which equates to about 100X12' area.

I'm sure you could find something smaller/cheaper to do the trick, but being a big fan of Honda power equipment I chose this and am very satisfied. Nothing better than throwing the snow 50+ in the air!
If I spent $3200 on a snow blower I would soon be moving in with you and we could both plow through your neighborhood. :)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Have you considered a single stage unit, such as the Honda 720 or Ariens Path Pro?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you considered a single stage unit, such as the Honda 720 or Ariens Path Pro?
My father in-law has a single stage Honda that he loves, the difference is that he lives on a side-street that never gets plowed so he does not have to worry about the Snowplow Berm that I have to worry about.

I think a two-stage with a serrated auger would do better to "cut" through the berm?

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
hello mitch, welcome to SBF!! I was just at home depot over the weekend looking at the ariens compact 24 and the snowtek. I would also look at the toro 724. you couldn't pay me to buy a new craftsman snowblower

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
hello mitch, welcome to SBF!! I was just at home depot over the weekend looking at the ariens compact 24 and the snowtek. I would also look at the toro 724. you couldn't pay me to buy a new craftsman snowblower
Thank you!

Why do you not like the New Craftsman Snowblowers?

Any comments on the Snow-Tek or Ariens?

Mitch

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I would offer that the metal parts are either not as thick, or formed in a manner that offers too much flex to the unit.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
Thank you!

Why do you not like the New Craftsman Snowblowers?

Any comments on the Snow-Tek or Ariens?

Mitch
whom ever makes snowblowers for craftsman just doesn't make them as good as they use to

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I go to Sears quite often for tools. When I was looking at snow blowers I looked at the Craftsman blowers because the single stage I've used has lasted 15 years is a Craftsman. One thing I noticed, in part from my education here is that every Craftsman snow blower I saw, even the big money over $1000 bucks models, now uses cables instead of metal rods for the impeller and drive functions. That, to me says a lot about quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I go to Sears quite often for tools. When I was looking at snow blowers I looked at the Craftsman blowers because the single stage I've used has lasted 15 years is a Craftsman. One thing I noticed, in part from my education here is that every Craftsman snow blower I saw, even the big money over $1000 bucks models, now uses cables instead of metal rods for the impeller and drive functions. That, to me says a lot about quality.
I'm a computer geek not really mechanical...are cables bad compared to metal rods?

What does the Snow-Tek 24 use?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I spent $3200 on a snow blower I would soon be moving in with you and we could both plow through your neighborhood. :)
I see. Yes, please stick with something a bit smaller..

Convo to wife: I'm not sure babe, he's just some guy from the Snowblower forum that said he had to live with us and plow the neighborhood together"?

:D

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The older models of nearly all makes, used rods. It did offer a lot more positive engagement, whereas cables may stretch, fray, or wear through the pulley.

On newer models, the more popular models have heavier gauge cables.

I think that if you were to actually to put you hands on the machines, that the tactile difference will sell itself. Quality can be quantified, but it is also that you can feel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts