Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a valve spring compressor for flathead mower and blower engines?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always used the one show here.

Getting it right for removal can be a little a tricky but assembly is a breeze.
Looking at it, looks like it goes in sideways on top of the valve then underneath the bottom of the spring? You can apply enough pressure with that screw knob to close it to compress the valve spring?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Here is our favorite small engine mechanic ( donyboy73) showing how to use the compressor Spectrum recommended.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is our favorite small engine mechanic ( donyboy73) showing how to use the compressor Spectrum recommended.
This is the one! The one to buy. About $25. And it works! Nice to have a tool that works. And it's small enough that my wife won't find it and complain that I'm suppose to be winding down my business rather than buying more tools to increase it!m

I watched this video with DonyBoy73 using this tool, also DarylFixesAll uses the same tool.

Thanks Grunt! Aren't we all grunts on here? Doing the work and getting our hands dirty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I squeezed my automotive compressor in there on the hm80. Donyboy and Taryl are both great. and, Theres your dinner.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Looking at it, looks like it goes in sideways on top of the valve then underneath the bottom of the spring? You can apply enough pressure with that screw knob to close it to compress the valve spring?

Force is no problem at all. Setting the spread to cradle the spring when you sneak under can take me a few tries.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Force is no problem at all. Setting the spread to cradle the spring when you sneak under can take me a few tries.
There are some tools I like to keep in a plastic bag. I like to keep in a plastic bag my compression tester, vacuum gauge, my Briggs tachometer. Seems best to keep this tool in a plastic bag with some extra keeper washers to use to set the width for the engine you are working in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts