Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,
Planning on replacing the original carb on my Simplicity 970with 8 horse Tecumseh. I am tired of all the surging and tuning issues
Any advice on what to replace it with? I've heard there are some decent aftermarket carbs any recommendations. Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey Fellas,
Planning on replacing the original carb on my Simplicity 970with 8 horse Tecumseh. I am tired of all the surging and tuning issues
Any advice on what to replace it with? I've heard there are some decent aftermarket carbs any recommendations. Thanks
Before doing that......I would give it a good cleaning......save yourself a few $$$

Go to NAPA, get the gallon can of carburetor cleaner ($24.00), soak the carb in the cleaner as per instruction on the can. I did this on my carb, and it works great......amazing stuff.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hey Fellas,
I'm thinking you either got some debris in the tank or your fuel line could be going bad and sending particles down into the carb or your fuel is contaminated because of ethanol separation. In which case you would put a new carb on and have the same problems all over again. Be sure to ensure that the fuel system is giving it fresh clean fuel and get ethanol free if you can and after a good carb cleaning your problems will be gone. That said with the cleaning you probably will have to replace the bowl gasket at a minimumbut that's only a couple dollars max. Inspect the float for leaks, and inspect the bowl for corrosion if there is any corrosion at all around the top edge where the gasket seats replace the bowl because it doesn't cost much at all :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,672 Posts
I also recommend a good cleaning first. A full carb kit was something like $10 IIRC the last one I bought. I don't have the number right now bit all 7-10 hp pretty much took the same kit from what I've gotten.

I like to use brake cleaner to clean up the carbs, it gets stuff off well though keep it off plastic and painted parts.

If it comes down to getting another carb, I've had good luck with Oregons, just insure it's for the right size engine and has the correct throttle and choke arms and linkage as your existing one had. I've bought a few off Ebay with good luck.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
+1 on the clean/rebuild.

I've been using the same 1gal can of gunk carb/parts cleaner for years.

Wear hand/eye protection.

Once I'm done soaking , I wipe off as much of the carb cleaner as possible, then soak the carb in hot water. When finished, blow the carb off with compressed air making sure to hit the tiny passages.

Other guys have been using big jewelry cleaners with success as well.

don't forget to install a fuel filter if you haven't done so already...keep that like-new carb spick-n-span!

·
Registered
247 Posts
When I was a kid we had a Lawn Boy lawnmower that was a bit anemic. We were racing go karts at the time so we took a Tillison carb off of one of our engines and put it on the Lawn Boy. it was anemic no more.
If you want to increase hp do a bit of research for one that is compatible and get a bigger carb. It works.
It the power you have is adequate rebuild the one you have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I was a kid we had a Lawn Boy lawnmower that was a bit anemic. We were racing go karts at the time so we took a Tillison carb off of one of our engines and put it on the Lawn Boy. it was anemic no more.
If you want to increase hp do a bit of research for one that is compatible and get a bigger carb. It works.
It the power you have is adequate rebuild the one you have.
This would achieve more HP by increasing max rpm. This is a bad idea on a constant speed snow blower motor.

But I will say I did this on my Nissan outboard boat motor to take it from 4hp to 6hp - worked great!

·
Registered
247 Posts
This would achieve more HP by increasing max rpm. This is a bad idea on a constant speed snow blower motor.

But I will say I did this on my Nissan outboard boat motor to take it from 4hp to 6hp - worked great!
Probably true. As we said in the day... "You have to spin to win".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts