Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium GOT Member
10,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm not a tech head like some here. I have rebuilt about 10 of these gearboxes and fill them all the way with red Marine grease. Only been a couple years. Too soon to tell.

will check back in 25.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The original grease is Bentonite-based. It eventually dries up and shrinks.
Bentonite grease advantages
  • High-temperature resistance.
  • Non melting.
  • Good sealing properties.
  • Softening resistance.
  • Maintenance decrease.
  • Non leaking.
Are you advocating to keep using Bentonite, or to switch to marine grease?

And if switching to marine grease, would you clean out the old Bentonite first? (On a machine with 10 winters of homeowner use, albeit with heavy snow?)

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Are you advocating to keep using Bentonite, or to switch to marine grease?
And if switching to marine grease, would you clean out the old Bentonite first? (On a machine with 10 winters of homeowner use, albeit with heavy snow?)
I'm told that cleaning out the original grease is a best-practice, especially if you're looking for damaged parts. Since Bentonite grease necessarily doesn't play well with others, if you have the gearbox open I would certainly clean it out.
Here's what they often look like:
Automotive tire Wood Gas Art Bumper

And after cleaning out and repacking:
Ingredient Recipe Food Cuisine Meat

Reactions: JJG723

·
Registered
920 Posts
You can buy a Honda gasket online for between $11 and $15 or if you are in a hurry and have some gasket material, you can make your own.
This gasket is for a HS50 but you can get the idea.
Gas Circle Metal Fashion accessory Electric blue

This gasket below is for an HS828 but I think all HSXXX right-side transmissions use the same gasket.

Brown Food Material property Paint Art

Light Font Gas Rectangle Plastic wrap

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks.

I do hear an occasional, intermittent squeal/screech noise sometimes when the machine is moving. Haven't pinpointed the source.

Does that sound like something that could be caused by dry parts inside the right-side transmission?

Mike

21 - 28 of 28 Posts