Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the tires on my blower (JD522) looked to be low, before I just arbitrarily pump them up I have a couple of questions.

Is the tire PSI based on make/model snow blower or is there a pretty standard PSI to use? Do you run the same PSI with or without chains?

Dan

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
The max pressure for the tire should be written on the tire sidewall. If there is no recommended pressure in your owner’s manual then I would just run it at max pressure with or without chains.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
The max pressure for the tire should be written on the tire sidewall. If there is no recommended pressure in your owner’s manual then I would just run it at max pressure with or without chains.
Ditto, It may, however, be helpful at some times to let some pressure out of the tires to get more traction. But, like he said, the tire presure doesn't have to be decreased in order to put chains on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Oh sure, take the easy, logical approach....not my style, I like to make things as difficult on myself as possible. :D

Good call, I'll take a peek at the side walls tonight.

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
very little is written in my jd manual other than not to exceed the maximum pressure of 14 psi on the original 16x4.8 x-trac tires, I would run maximum pressure with chains to keep them tight and not slip. i set my pressure once at the start of season and not worry bout it till next season, or if its obvious that i have a flat.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just checked the tire pressure on my Craftsman snow blower. I think the wheels are 16 x 4.8, but I'm not sure. The recommended psi is 20. It was so low that I didn't even get a reading on my gauge for either tire. Granted, I haven't checked the pressure since January of 2009, but that seemed kinda low.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here, max sidewall is 24psi, and couldn't get a reading on the gauge. It rolls around easier now with air in the tires, and the chains fit a little snugger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts