Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say this sight is awsome,,i posted about my snowbird n a belt problem,,it is fixed n worked great today in 46 cm of snow,,,so now i would like to get the electric start going but the wires or off,i guess its a rectifier from my reasearch n i have no idea how to hook it back up,,help again you guys are wicked

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
never heard of a rectifier on a starter

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Wouldn't it be an inverter, maybe?

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
You need to take better photos. The square thing is a rectifier for converting AC input into DC output.

What are the numbers on the starter itself ?? Part number ??

Was there any more to the wiring ??

IF , , , it's a 12 volt starter it might have had a 120 to 12 volt transformer that put out AC and that rectifier was used to convert the AC into DC.

But if so that wiring on the starter is terribly small to try and carry the current a 12 volt starter would use. The lower the voltage the higher the amperage to get the same job done, thus the thicker the wire.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If it is a dc starter, it would also need a stepdown transformer from 120 to 12 volts, which would be a pretty good sized chunk of iron to supply the DC load current.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Better pic of the starter label please. If I zoom in I think I see "120 VOLTS" but would need a better pic to be sure.

This looks like a bodge to me, to be honest. Maybe someone thought you could hook a battery up to a rectifier and get 120VAC out. It probably once looked like this:

but now looks like the mess you've got. From the image it looks like someone took a saw or dremel and hacked the AC mains receptacle out of the plastic cover (is the switch still there?)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
never heard of a rectifier on a starter
Old Toro S-200 snow blowers used the same setup with a rectifier in the push button box. Not sure why, but it converted 120 volts AC to 120 volts half wave pulsed DC ?

The white wire from the extension cord or neutral prong in the receptacle on the starter goes to the rectifier terminal with the white arrow.

The black wire from the extension cord or the positive prong in the receptacle on the starter goes to the push button switch terminal marked with the blue arrow.

Oh, the green wire with no terminal goes to the ground prong on the starter receptacle.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Old Toro S-200 snow blowers used the same setup with a rectifier in the push button box. Not sure why, but it converted 120 volts AC to 120 volts half wave pulsed DC ?
That's interesting. The circuit shown is a full-wave rectifier so it looks like that starter setup is getting straight DC.

I found a pic of a starter for the S-200 online and see it marked as "28-9140 ... American Bosch ... 100 V.D.C." So it's a DC motor.

I think the OP's starter is AC. Maybe someone saw that schematic and thought that's how it should be wired.

Who knows. Wonder if the OP coming back?

Oh, the green wire with no terminal goes to the ground prong on the starter receptacle.
Good point. Anytime AC mains is connected to equipment like this the green ground wire should be connected to the equipment and to the 3rd prong in the AC outlet. There's a pretty good electric shock hazard without that ground made.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Just learned something new! I never paid any attention to the starters on the old 200's I guess. Usually the gear was plastic and got worn, but they held up good otherwise. They don't sell well now days - so I quit fixing them. Good machines for lightweight dependability.....

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Usually the gear was plastic and got worn, but they held up good otherwise.
I just removed the electric starter from a running S-200 I had to put on my friends low use S-200. He got it from a neighbor who used it for an hour total since 1980. Someone tried starting it and fried the commutator and brushes beyond repair. Since he has a pace maker in his chest, I gave him my starter. The fuel line and diaphragm also had to be replaced because of dry rot. Good little blowers for what they are, but as you said, no money to be made flipping them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
the guy's that buy them are usually roofer's or crews that get hired to remove snow from rooftops that have to hand carry them up ladders. Not a better machine out there for that job. I used to weld up the mufflers since the factory only tack welded them, and beef up the axle mounts too. That made the frames much stronger. We don't get the snows we used to so everybody has forgotten how nice they are for that.......a lot of Walmarts were saved by Toro's!!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
This is the sticker on the starter
That just means it requires 120 volts AC 7.5 amps input to run. The rectifier converts it to 120 volts DC output to the starter. Have you tried connecting the wires to the rectifier yet to see if the starter is good?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Power goes to the starter just fine it blowes the breaker,,,i dont wanna ruin the starter thats why i would like to get some more info on it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just need to no ,,on the rectifier it has ac with arrow is that wat i hook white n black from my house to ??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts