Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody
I was wondering which gasoline did you use in your snowblower, regular or higher octane? the dealer told me to use high octane gasoline to avoid engine pinging. yet, I use in my lawn mower john deere regular gas to which I add stabilizer. I never had a problemwith any engines I own. I always empty tanks and carburettors at the end of the season and everything starts without problems with a minimum of maintenance. what do you think?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Seems like you answered your own question. You know how to take care of your equipment. I don't subscribe to super unleaded in OPE. We are not dealing with high compression turbo charged engines here. As you said regular 87 octane gasoline with a good stabilizer like Star Tron or Marine Stabil, you should be fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it's not a high compression engine and the manual doesn't state to only use premium, then stick with regular. In my area however, I cannot get regular gasoline without ethanol anymore, so I do use premium.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Like Cardo111 said, these are not high-compression, high-performance engines. There is no reason for the engine to be pinging. Regular 87-octane is fine.

Using stabilizer, and emptying the carbs at the end of the season, is an excellent idea, however, and is a simple investment in keeping your machines happy.

Edit- As drmerdp said below, I'm assuming we're talking about 4-stroke blower engines. I do use 91 octane in my 2-stroke chainsaw, per its manual (which calls for at least 89, maybe 91).

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Seems like you answered your own question. You know how to take care of your equipment. I don't subscribe to super unleaded in OPE. We are not dealing with high compression turbo charged engines here. As you said regular 87 octane gasoline with a good stabilizer like Star Tron or Marine Stabil, you should be fine.
Only exception are 2 cycle engines. I would use 91 or 93oct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use 89 octane ethanol free gas. Ethanol is corrosive to carb parts.
Download the Pure Gas app. You can find where to buy it. Usually near/at marinas.
I use it it all my yard equipment. I will use stabil towards the end of the season.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree with Mike above. Here in the Buffalo, N.Y. area, I have access only to 91 octane ethanol free gas - which I use, thanks to wise folks here at Snowblower forum. Absolutely no regrets!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
A buddy of mine Just brought me 10 gallons of ethanol free 91 from his sledding trip. I won’t start using it until later in the season though.

I store my HSS with a full tank, and a drained carb.

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
when we had zero degree weather around here for 4-5 straight days , every gas station pump in town was froze up except one......

Chevron.

so we use Chevron with stabil and seafoam.

nada problems.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
And the vast majority will never see issues with using fuel with ethanol in it. I use 85/87 Octane with ethanol and my personal equipment has never had any issues. Been using it for about 20-25 years since they started putting the stuff in the gas. Although for the past few years I have been using Stabil-360 as a stabilizer and it supposedly helps with ethanol that is in fuels.

·
Registered
871 Posts
using ethanol is not the issue, letting it sit idle in the carb for months is.
i bought 91 eth free as a precaution and cheap ins

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I use 91 octane with seafoam and have no issues.

I love my snow pups, I wish I still had all four of them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
That is so true.

Most 2 cycles are high compression and require at least mid-grade.
more like high test for a 2 stroker. they have more compression than most think, and fixed timing so they need the slower burning HT blends 91 or 93

4 stroke ope engines run 9 to 1 or lower, have fixed timing making 87 good enough when one adds stabilizer

·
Registered
178 Posts
I run whatever the highest octane I can buy at a regular pump is. Here we have 87/89/91 with 91 being ethanol free so I go with that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts