Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken parts from a newer machine and retrofitted an older machine with a dash controlled deflector? I have a vintage Simplicity Snowbuster that seems to be bullet proof. Throws everything. I’m jealous of my fellow forum members and their new machines. Tired of stopping to keep my snow from going where I don’t want it. I want to join the world of remote control:)

·
Registered
871 Posts
there are vids on guys usung car electric window motors and wiper blade motors.
there also mechanically made ones that turn the chute quicker than motorized ones.
one of these ideas is going to be my summer project.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i have thought about using a medium sized motor and some threaded rod. the only thing that got me thinking to upgrade to electric is that the chute deflector cable on my 1 machine is $70 to replace if it fails and it sticks until the engine has been running for a few. i am pretty sure i could build something for under $70.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I love that joystick control, I forget who makes it. Outside of electric controls that is the coolest way to go, should be able to retrofit one of those.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
If it's a manual joystick, I believe Toro makes one like that.

And I just saw a Honda with electric chute controls for left/right, and up/down, using a little joystick. That sounds really cool, as long as nothing with the system fails.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just remember with electric controls come problems associated with them , I currently have a spare switch and electric motor for my Simplicity as i am sure they will die in the middle of a storm. 2 expensive spare parts never needed for my old Toro.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Just remember with electric controls come problems associated with them , I currently have a spare switch and electric motor for my Simplicity as i am sure they will die in the middle of a storm. 2 expensive spare parts never needed for my old Toro.
but cable run controls are really no better for reliability. i figure a switch and electric motor are about just as reliable as cables. the only thing that is super reliable is all manual chute controls where you move it with your hand but really not that convenient.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
A coworker has a Simplicity with electric chute rotation. If memory serves, he had a motor fail already, but I think he said you can use less-expensive motors (maybe car window motors?) as replacements. Any system can have a failure (a slick manual joystick can have a component break). But yeah, the more complicated it gets, the more likely a failure becomes, and the tougher it may be to temporarily work around the failure.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If it's a manual joystick, I believe Toro makes one like that.

And I just saw a Honda with electric chute controls for left/right, and up/down, using a little joystick. That sounds really cool, as long as nothing with the system fails.
I just got a machine, Simplicity, with electric chute controls. COOLEST THING EVER! I think they're great. With a 3 year warrantee, if they last 3 years, they'll last forever. :D

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
A coworker has a Simplicity with electric chute rotation. If memory serves, he had a motor fail already, but I think he said you can use less-expensive motors (maybe car window motors?) as replacements. Any system can have a failure (a slick manual joystick can have a component break). But yeah, the more complicated it gets, the more likely a failure becomes, and the tougher it may be to temporarily work around the failure.
but what is really the worst that would happen if the motor fails on a old machine that you have upgraded? tighten the nuts an go back to the way things use to be before the upgrade. i really don't see the down side of trying to upgrade an old machine.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You guys got me thinking, hmmmm... I think this summer I am going to use my battery drill and maybe rig a mount/holster for it to control the chute,... just plug it back in the recharge when done .......

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Sorry, it was kind of an incomplete thought. I was thinking more in terms of machines that already come with electric controls, as an example, where you don't as easily have something else to fall back on.

Yeah, if you upgraded a machine to electric controls, and were able to leave some manual capability, that would seem really nice. Heck, even if it was just something where you could manually aim the chute as-needed, then lock it down with some Vise Grips or something. Just a way to aim it somewhere so you can continue clearing.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Hey guys, I use these throttle cables all the time. Short money for what it does, twist to unlock... adjust to desired angle... twist to lock. Never had any issues, easy to install. Just cut to length for your application. Make necessary mounting brackets to fit your setup. Don't always need to weld brackets, you can use angle iron and bolts to attach to your machine.

https://www.awdirect.com/in-cab-throttle-cable-ro9d35x10/throttle-cables/?hcs=AI10

·
Registered
871 Posts
i have my kids old mountain bikes collecting dust. im going to see if i can mod up the brake/shift cables

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i have my kids old mountain bikes collecting dust. im going to see if i can mod up the brake/shift cables
you can try it but i don't see it working out very well. it is very common for bike cables to freeze up with very little moisture especially if stored outside. i know i use to bike in the winter all the time when i was younger and keeping cables unfrozen was hard. heck even the deflector control cable on my 1 snowblower freezes up until it warms up and i have tried everything i can think of to keep it from freezing. a cable like a what is used on the park brake system on older vehicles with drum brakes would probably work pretty good but the casing might be a bit too stiff. this is kind of what make actuators nice even tho they are expensive.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Hey guys, I use these throttle cables all the time. Short money for what it does, twist to unlock... adjust to desired angle... twist to lock. Never had any issues, easy to install. Just cut to length for your application. Make necessary mounting brackets to fit your setup. Don't always need to weld brackets, you can use angle iron and bolts to attach to your machine.

https://www.awdirect.com/in-cab-throttle-cable-ro9d35x10/throttle-cables/?hcs=AI10
Cool idea, thanks! Do you have any pictures of these on your machines? It's an appealing thought, to maybe be able to do it without needing to make a lever that can lock into different positions, for multiple angles. Maybe just a spring to push the chute up, and this cable to pull it down, as well as set the angle.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Cool idea, thanks! Do you have any pictures of these on your machines? It's an appealing thought, to maybe be able to do it without needing to make a lever that can lock into different positions, for multiple angles. Maybe just a spring to push the chute up, and this cable to pull it down, as well as set the angle.
Prior to the dash mounted deflector Simplicity had a T handle pull and twist to lock cable on right side handlebars which was pricey at around $100. Those machines are all gone now from my purview but always replaced a broken cable with the twist to lock throttle cable from NAPA for about $15 which was trimmed to fit. An antenna L bracket on handlebars will work good for a retrofit.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Do not have any machines at the moment with these Chute set up. Have a friend with a machine I built, but he is gone away for the weekend. As soon as I get pictures from him I will post them up for you to see what I did.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I added electric window motor to my old 78/79 Ariens. incased from weather, ect. After the cool factor.. I'm considering going to manual control only fast turning ratio of some sort. I'm sure factory electric set-ups are less troublesome as home made ones but I seem to always have issues in one way or another. Keeping battery charged to loose wiring,ect. If you think about it really not a big issue to manually turn for the few times used in winter.. but usage and location obviously would be a factor. For me not. You also have to be sure your engine on older machine has the lighting/amp coil on it. I'm not a wiz on electrical so maybe someone else would have it less troublesome- For me I'm going to give up on the electric chute and play with faster ratio turning of chute - nothing until summer though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts