Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inherited a REO snow blower of unknown model, likely from the 1950s. Used once and a tire shredded.

Can't figure out how to remove the assembly. Including a couple pictures of what I'm dealing with. The end of the axle assembly looks flat (there's no discernible spot to unbolt or otherwise access).

The inside end of the assembly has a narrow hole extending through the entire assembly and out the other side, but I can't figure out what purpose it serves or otherwise how to manipulate an item in there to release anything.

There's no instructions I can find, so hoping someone here has experience with this and can provide some advice before I just cut the old tire off and replace it with a tube and tire. This snow isn't plowing itself.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I wonder if that hole had a roll pin or something in it? Never saw an REO unit.... have you tried soaking the hole with penetrant and use a drift punch on it? Just guessing.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's exactly where I would think a pin would go, but if that's the case, I don't know what's holding the wheel on the axle.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
If it's open at the bottom it's likely a roll pin and once driven out you'd only have rust holding the rim to the axle. Can you see if it has a keyway cut in it. From the link above the manual shows the roll pin holds it in place but there is a key that actually locks it from spinning on the axle. My Jacobsen is something like that and the keyway gets really nasty and makes removing the wheel a nightmare.

Looks like there is a grease zerk on the axle bearing you might want to clean off and give each side a little shot of grease when you have the wheel off.

·
Registered
725 Posts
There is a remote chance that it is a tapered pin and will only exit one way. The first thing I'd do is hit it with brake cleaner and compressed air so you can see what you have in steel.

Pete

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Definitely looks like a roll pin holding it on and then a woodruff key. Those rims are going to be a nightmare to remove I bet. You might need to drill 2 holes in the rim as close to the center as you can and use a bolt style puller on it. You will probably also need lots of heat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, everyone. Can't take it off, so it's remove and replace the tire. The wheel assembly wins.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
You're still not off the hook for photos... we want to see this machine! :)

The very first small engine I owned (found dumpster-diving when I was a kid) was made by Reo. It was a neat little engine and very well built. But I've never seen one of their snowblowers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts