Snowblower Forum banner

Replace Portable Gas Can?

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Darryl G 
#1 ·
Last summer I made a 50:1 high octane mix for my new blower and trimmer. I had a 2 gallon gas tank and the blower and trimmer came with the small bottle of oil to make one gallon so I dumped each bottle into my 2 gallon tank and filled it up with high octane gas and Stabil 360 Marine. No issues at all all summer and fall.

In the fall I emptied the last of that batch of fuel into my blower but this time I used the bigger bottle of oil that you squeeze to fill up the little cup on top before dumping into the gas can. I put enough for two gallons and again added the Stabil 360 and high octane gas.

My blower eventually ran out of gas from my original batch so I had to use the new mix and a few minutes later my blower began acting up and there was far less power. In fact, even if you pulled the trigger the engine wanted to die. I guess I made a bad batch. :m@d: Keep in mind, the original batch was a few months old and worked great and the new batch was just made a few days prior.

So a few days ago I purchased the premixed 50:1 fuel that Home Depot sells. I took the bad gas out of the blower and added the stuff from Home Depot and my machine was back to it's powerful self.

I still have about 1.5 gallons of the bad gas left in my 2 gallon can but I also have a couple of older 1 gallon tanks laying around. Should I just dump the bad gas into the empty 1 gallon tanks I don't use and make up a new batch into the 2 gallon can? Should I just get a new can for my new gas?

See less See more
#3 ·
My blower and trimmer are ECHO and came with ECHO oil in the 2.6 oz bottles so when I ran out I got the larger squeeze bottle of ECHO oil with the measuring cup on top and I filled it to 2.6 twice and dumped it in my gas can along with the high octane gas and stabilizer.

#4 ·
I dispose of old 2 cycle gas by putting in my truck gas tank.
I take the 2cycle can with me to the gas station. Pour the 2 cycle gas into the truck tank then fill it up. I use my truck because IT HAS A 26 GALLON TANK. This dilutes the 2 cycle gas more than the wife's car 12 gallon tank.
We also refill our vehicle gas tanks at 1/2 a tank to prolong fuel pump life so this dilutes the 2 cycle in my truck more.
Never had a problem.

Reactions: 43128
#9 ·
I would take the bad gas to a recycling center. I've used the Echo semi Syn in that squeeze bottle for my 3 Echo machines for years with no issues and they don't smoke much either.
On the Toro blower which calls for TCW3 oil I use a separate gas can with Pennzoil Marine TCW3 full Syn.

#22 ·
Please tell me you're kidding. It doesn't take much gasoline to contaminate ground water. The components of gasoline are toxic at the parts-per-billion level.

#14 ·
Many people like to run premium (93-95 octane) or canned gas because it does not contain methanol in it. Canned gas comes in smaller quantities so it will tend to be more fresh than using a 5 gallon gas can for instance. The down side, of course, is higher cost

Higher octane will not run hotter or better in a typical small gas engine. Higher octane rating just means it is less prone to pre ignition. There is no advantage to high octane gas in a small gas engine other than some brands do not have methanol in it. I have heard many tales of methanol causing problems but I have not seen any personally. I try to keep my gas fresh and I drain the fuel completely from my snowthrower at the end of the season.

#15 ·
Ah donno guys...in the days of Holleys and Quadrajets I might dump it in the vehicle, but not so for the present day of $750 fuel pumps and fuel injectors, that are also expensive to clean or replace.
Out old boat has a Quadrajet, and a big marine water separating fuel filter, I'd be more likely to dump it there than in any late model vehicle. Why make $$$ trouble for yourself to avoid a simple trip to the recycle center, I'm always bringing them stuff anyway (used motor oil, old cans of anti fouling paint for the boat, etc).....

#17 ·
GEvening Gentlemen, I agree with burning it the everyday drivers. Even if you were dumping in 10 gallons, it's less than a quart of diluted oil. That oil is still a petroleum product, a lubricant, obviously burns and will certainly do no damage to those pricey fuel pumps and fuel injectors. Lets face it, your not going to dump in 10 gallons a day, rite? Once a year, maybe? not to fret....that small amount of oil will not harm the catalytic converters in today's vehicle either. Happy Burning, Jay

#21 ·
The ones I've been to – 2 in southeastern Michigan and 2 in northwest Michigan – sell 90 to 93 octane premium ethanol-free gas along with the usual suspects...

One had a dedicated pump, the other 3 have one hose for 4 grades of gas which usually keeps anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of whatever was last pumped in the line.

When I buy e-free gas, I'll pump 1/2 gallon into my vehicle, then whatever amount I'm going for at that moment (1 gal, 2.5 gal or 5 gal.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.