Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the electric starter on my 1999 Tecumseh 10 HP Snow King. I applied blue Loctite when I installed it but the bolts still get loose anyways. You know what happens if they are loose. The bracket breaks under all that torque & stress and you have to get another starter and I don't want that to happen again. So I was wondering what size and type of lock washer would be best for this application.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
i believe they used a star washer on the oem kits 1/4x 20 bolts
if they keep getting loose what shape are the threads in block in , something is wrong if they keep getting loose

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I would be getting some new bolts if those are worn, and a good regular lock washer with lock-tite ..... don't get crazy on the torque, or you will damage the block, if you haven't already. You may also want to pull the shroud, to make sure you have a proper connection on the flywheel ...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I replaced the electric starter on my 1999 Tecumseh 10 HP Snow King. I applied blue Loctite when I installed it but the bolts still get loose anyways. You know what happens if they are loose. The bracket breaks under all that torque & stress and you have to get another starter and I don't want that to happen again. So I was wondering what size and type of lock washer would be best for this application.
What locktite did you use? 242?
Try the 262 instead.
You letting it cure for the proper amount of time before trying the starter?

Reactions: rod330 and Dannoman

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What locktite did you use? 242?
Try the 262 instead.
You letting it cure for the proper amount of time before trying the starter?
Ed, I used the blue one. Not sure of the number. It's the non-permanent one, which is red I think.... Cheers!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be getting some new bolts if those are worn, and a good regular lock washer with lock-tite ..... don't get crazy on the torque, or you will damage the block, if you haven't already. You may also want to pull the shroud, to make sure you have a proper connection on the flywheel ...
Yeah, these are new bolts and I hear you, I didn't crush them too tightly. Connection to flywheel is fine. Will go with the star washers and see if that does the trick. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Ed, I used the blue one. Not sure of the number. It's the non-permanent one, which is red I think.... Cheers!
You said Blue? Red 262 is the strongest, red.
Let it sit for 24 hrs. to fully cure.
Edit, Blue is the medium type.
Tells you on the bottle.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i believe they used a star washer on the oem kits 1/4x 20 bolts
if they keep getting loose what shape are the threads in block in , something is wrong if they keep getting loose
That sound like good advice Captchas. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You said Blue? Red 262 is the strongest, red.
Let it sit for 24 hrs. to fully cure.
Yeah. Red is something I feared since I may want to take the bolts off again if the starter craps out. Can the bolts still come off when you use red? Using heat?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah. Red is something I feared since I may want to take the bolts off again if the starter craps out. Can the bolts still come off when you use red? Using heat?
You should be able to, heat helps.
But the red is better, 262.
But you have to let it setup.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should be able to, heat helps.
But the red is better, 262.
But you have to let it setup.
Good advice B.E. I will try that out if the star washers don't do the trick. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Good advice B.E. I will try that out if the star washers don't do the trick. Cheers!
They say 24 hrs for the blue to cure too.

·
Super Moderator
2,747 Posts
If it was mine, I'd clean up the threads holes and get some new bolts and star washers to hold them in. Now if they still don't, I can think of 2 other things that might work. One is similar to what's used on some mufflers: a metal strip under the bolts that are bent up to catch a flat on the bolts. The other would be to get bolts drilled for safety wires that then could used to secure the bolts.
Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The other would be to get bolts drilled for safety wires that then could used to secure the bolts.
Lol, safety wire??

these are two tiny bolts, safety wires or loctite was not needed when the blower was brand new, and neither should be needed now,

something ain't right here, find the problem and correct it.....don't try to put a band aid on it,

this aint rocket science,

your bolts are damaged....and/or....the threads in the block are damaged....and/or.....you are not torquing the bolts to the proper value....or a combination of those

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
If it was mine, I'd clean up the threads holes and get some new bolts and star washers to hold them in. Now if they still don't, I can think of 2 other things that might work. One is similar to what's used on some mufflers: a metal strip under the bolts that are bent up to catch a flat on the bolts. The other would be to get bolts drilled for safety wires that then could used to secure the bolts.
Good luck.
good idea. thanks. my dad worked on jet engines and this is very common.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Lol, safety wire??

these are two tiny bolts, safety wires or loctite was not needed when the blower was brand new, and neither should be needed now,

something ain't right here, find the problem and correct it.....don't try to put a band aid on it,

this aint rocket science,

your bolts are damaged....and/or....the threads in the block are damaged....and/or.....you are not torquing the bolts to the proper value....or a combination of those
you're almost as funny as that other guy who was here a couple months ago.

I kinda miss him. hope you don't get booted.

·
Registered
767 Posts
try some red locktite. if you need to replace the starter just warm the bolt head with a torch first to make it easy to remove.

·
Retired Moderator
10,045 Posts
As mentioned above, something is wrong as it sounds like you're already doing what most of us would do and we'd be able to just bolt it down and forget about it. I don't even use loctite but now that it's been mentioned I'll likely try to remember to do so
thumbsup.gif

I like the star washer idea, I think maybe cleaning the bolts and threads with some carb or brake cleaner and then blasting them with some air and then repeating that a couple times to insure the holes are clean before going back with your choice of loctite would be the way to go. IMHO safety wire or expensive locking bolts just seem over the top but then again what price for peace of mind ?
Are you sure the bolts are long enough, catching enough threads?

You could also go crazy and buy a can of "Clean 'N Prime" to go a step further - - > Loctite 37509 Loctite Klean 'N Prime | Summit Racing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts