Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990's Yard Machines blower with a 5hp Tecumseh engine. Idle keeps "hunting" up and down, so I ordered a new carb from Stens, because I heard they were a reliable place.
Well, the new carb doesn't have mixture adjustment screws for either the idle or main. What? It's a step backwards!

Is there a replacement carb that has with mixture adjustments?

Is is possible to put my old Tecumseh bowl nut+mix screw onto the Stens carb?

Any other ideas?

Joe

P.S. Should I just cower and let the EPA decided what's good for my blower engine?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
They DO sell replacement carbs that are adjustable. I picked up one for a 5hp tech off of ebay and never had any problems with it. All the replacement carbs I get are off of ebay and NEVER a problem. Even if they are made in China. Oh well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at Ebay, but thought a "good" brand like Stens was a better bet. I hate to buy a no-name Chinese carb, but if that's the only way to get a carb with full adjustments, then....I guess I will.

It's a sad statement.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And your Stens carburetor was made in.....?

I recognize that, but Stens can put quality control safeguards on their supplier to make sure their good name isn't sullied. They should make sure it's a quality product.

For me, on Ebay, it's taking a chance. Like a roulette wheel.

·
Registered
871 Posts
getting replacement carb was for getting the rebuild parts cheaper then getting the actual rebuild kit but then just install the new carb anyways.

use parts if need be from the stens and/or just do a proper cleaning of old carb, every hole and passage way needs to be cleared.

find your carb here or equivalent and see what needs to be cleaned
Tecumseh Carburetors

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great. Disagreement about whether to rebuild, or get a new carb, or even where the new carb should come from.

Dollar wise, I can get a new carb for just a little more than a rebuild kit.

It seems like an easy solution, but why is a quality carb so hard to find?

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I disagree. In many cases rebuilds don't work well enough
Then you are not doing the rebuild correctly! There is no reason a dirty carb cannot be rebuilt to new condition.

Chinese junk parts on the other hand . . .

And rebuild kits are so cheap that there really isn't any reason not go go there first. In this day and age, $12 vs $15 is irrelevant . . . and frankly, I don't want effectively used parts from a questionable replacement to begin with . . . if you are going to do that, might as well just use the original gaskets . .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then you are not doing the rebuild correctly! There is no reason a dirty carb cannot be rebuilt to new condition.

Chinese junk parts on the other hand . . .

And rebuild kits are so cheap that there really isn't any reason not go go there first. In this day and age, $12 vs $15 is irrelevant . . . and frankly, I don't want effectively used parts from a questionable replacement to begin with . . . if you are going to do that, might as well just use the original gaskets . .

Well part of the problem is that genuine factory rebuild kits aren't available.
So you either get an Asian carb or an Asian rebuild kit.
The carbs are so cheap, just get the whole thing. Am I right?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Great. Disagreement about whether to rebuild, or get a new carb, or even where the new carb should come from.

Dollar wise, I can get a new carb for just a little more than a rebuild kit.

It seems like an easy solution, but why is a quality carb so hard to find?

1. Some have better success with rebuilds, some with replacements. Its that simple.
2. Yep.
3. You can usually get an OEM Tec or B&S carb, even on these older machines, but it will cost 50 to $100. Also, you are asking for a spare part on a 20 to 30 year old, lower end machine. Keep that in mind.

If you try cleaning and rebuilding, lots of people here will help with any questions you have.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1. Some have better success with rebuilds, some with replacements. Its that simple.
2. Yep.
3. You can usually get an OEM Tec or B&S carb, even on these older machines, but it will cost 50 to $100. Also, you are asking for a spare part on a 20 to 30 year old, lower end machine. Keep that in mind.

If you try cleaning and rebuilding, lots of people here will help with any questions you have.

Thanks Paul,
I'm going to try w a new Asian carb. If that doesn't work well, then this summer I'll dig into the rebuild kit.

And I take umbrage at your characterization of a Tecumseh sidevalve as a "lower end machine." They put real care and research into this line. It was the mainstay of snowblowers for decades. Ever look at the factory update manuals or their book on Engine Failure Analysis? Some fine Americans made these their life's work. Rightfully so.

Joe

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Well part of the problem is that genuine factory rebuild kits aren't available.
So you either get an Asian carb or an Asian rebuild kit.
The carbs are so cheap, just get the whole thing. Am I right?
Internet carb parts are as much a crapshoot as the entire carbs. A rebuild kit from a reputable maker (or the engine mfg) is far more likely to be right that the offshore 'fly by night' boys.

Not a snowblower part, but in my day job, one of our guys went cheap and bought some Chinese data cables to save negligible money. 4 out of 4 don't work! You would think wire and connextors would be easy, but nope . . . Rebought a known brand and work - maybe they were made in China, maybe not, but the brand made **** sure they were correct (and we likely spent multiple thousand dollars in man-time to troubleshoot that which should not have been possible.) You get what you pay for, and for $12, you aren't even paying the guy making the carb enough to stay awake, sober, and much less care . . .

I trust the old carb to have no manufacturing defects - it's worked for a long time and proven itself. The parts in a rebuild kit are pretty simple compared to the full carb, and thus much harder to screw up. Get them from your local OPE shop, and if you are supported as well if they are bad.

45 years or so rebuilding OPE and auto carbs, I have yet to find a single one that would not rebuild to new. Castings and carb bodies don't wear from fuel flow . . .

·
Registered
839 Posts
Sorry, Joe, I was not calling out the Tecumseh as lower end, but rather some of the Yardman machines itself. I very much like the Tec engines.

Paul

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sign216 what are the numbers off your 5hp Tecumseh???? Will help SBFers help you better.

Engine is an HSSK50 no. 67324N
Machine itself is model TMO-3525302 or 315E610E088

date of manu: 42830 which should equal 1994
Carb no stamped on it doesn't seem to equate to anything, but a search says that this engine should have carb no. 632107A.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts