Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say when you can't get a Eng to run correctly after multiple cleanings and a kit, the Chinese carbs are great for $15. I bought 2 so far, bolt on and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I've used a few with good results, Some are not quit the same quality but in reality the OEM ore also Chinese made just like the eBay ones.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see no quality issues, except for the holes that aren't threaded for the bracket to hold the heat shield

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
No real issues on them that I have seen, just not as nice of a finish on some of them, Then again I got one that looked better than the OEM LOL but I'll keep using them as long as I need one

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know what would cause gas to leak out of the intake hole on an older Tecumseh carb. Assume the needle is seating correctly it has a new kit in it. But gas still leaks out

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wasn't too impressed. I got mine off of amazon, holes didn't line up quit right, new carb was in metric so I had to buy new screws for it, the needles were made of cheap soft metal. I took the engine in for some work, and included the new carb, and he stuck the old B&S carb back on.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't too impressed. I got mine off of amazon, holes didn't line up quit right, new carb was in metric so I had to buy new screws for it, the needles were made of cheap soft metal. I took the engine in for some work, and included the new carb, and he stuck the old B&S carb back on.

That stinks, mine seemed to be a lot better quality then that. Do u know the seller?

·
Registered
45 Posts
A few years ago I bought 1 for a 2002 single stage MTD (my spare unit), with Tecumseh HSK50 Snow King engine. I use Sta-bil in the gasoline. In the early autumn of 2015, it had been on 1-2 years, and would not start when I wanted to run it to warm the oil for an oil change. When I removed the bowl, there were metal particles in the bowl, and the inner side of the bowl felt rough. i just cleaned out the junk and it was fine. I cleaned the bowl again this year (some junk in there). I am not really complaining, considering the price, but if someone was not comfortable removing the bowl, this would be a show-stopper.
I have not tried yet - if I can find an old Tecumseh carb, see if the Tec bowl would be a perfect fit (what are the chances of that?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 for the chinese carbs

they were a couple bucks more than the rebuild kits, and worked perfect

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got one of these for a Honda GX340. Works fine. It came with all the extraneous parts (insulator, gaskets, etc.) and even a rubber gas hose. To top it off, it was actually cheaper than the rebuild kit. I took the thing apart before installing. Looks 95% all there compared to OEM. (New one didn't have a pre-filter cup compared to the OEM.)

Time will tell if this lasts, but if comments online are true, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Just ordered another last night for a Honda GCV 160, Did a quick clean but the float needle wasn't sealing and leaking gas once full, Since it was a "Favor" for someone I figured a new $15 carb was much better than pulling it apart and having to check all parts and it was in tough shape to begin with, so I'll just put the new one on when I get it and keep the old and repair for a spare when I have spare time.

Reactions: e.fisher26

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The only thing I have had issues with on the larger ones is that the choke levers are no the same (which are of course swedged onto the butterfly shaft). I have had to re-use the old choke lever and shaft - sometimes those little screws can be very fragile and tough to deal with. Other than that, I can't complain. It's always been pretty painless after that. I have replaced at least a dozen or so of them. I always buy them in lots of 5 when I order them from China...... that way I have time to get fresh stock when I get low on them. I keep the old ones around for parts just in case I can save a few OEM ones..... but they are not worth rebuilding these days.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The only thing I have had issues with on the larger ones is that the choke levers are no the same (which are of course swedged onto the butterfly shaft). I have had to re-use the old choke lever and shaft -
Hope you don't mind if I ask a question. I bought a carb from Ebay and the choke lever arrived bent. How does one go about removing it to replace with the original? I am assuming if you take off the choke plate itself, it pulls out. Any insight?

Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think thats about it, remove screw, make sure the shaft is not warn, and mKe sure the spring, if theres one, goes in right place.

-efisher-

1 - 20 of 27 Posts