Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a starter motor to replace the one that died on my 826. The P/N on the dead starter is 396469. Is there an alternative starter that will fit and work for this engine (P/N 190402-0989-99)?

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
396469 = 393488 or 393609 or 396505

My understanding is the different numbers are the same basic 120 Volt starter but the plug and switch housing might be a bit different.
Any chance yours might be rebuildable or the it's just needing a new bendix (drive gear) ??

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
In my experience with them it's the bendix about 90% of the time. Clean them up, lightly lube the shaft, start/stop it a couple times and re-insttall. Good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased a 37000 starter that looks like a rebuilt. I haven’t put it in the snowblower yet but tried it in my hand under power. My question is, while holding the start button in, should the gear remain extended out all the way when I hold the button in? Mine extends all the way but retracts partially a second later.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
It should extend out so that it's in full contact with the ring gear on the flywheel. I haven't actually held one and watched it but you might be seeing the gear spinning up against the spring, compressing the spring and then the spring pushing back just a bit after it's absorbed the shock of the gear compressing it. That would be normal operation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got around to taking mine apart. After opening it up, I found that two of the brushes were no longer attached to the wires (the wires were melted at the ends). Everything inside seems to spin freely. If I can reattach the brushes or get a new brush set, what are the chances it will work?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Probably pretty good, depends how the wires were disconnected / melted. You might find a used starter in one of those shops that has lawn mowers, and snowblowers around the yards.
Sid

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I found a brush set on eBay for pretty cheap, I'll see if that's enough when it arrives.

Any tips for keeping the brushes in their slots so I can get the cap back on?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts