Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited an old (1982, as hand written in the manual) Montgomery Ward 8HP 26" with a B&S engine. It lived a rough life, throwing snow off of a gravel driveway for many years so it's seen better days. However the engine is strong but it doesn't throws snow very far at all. I wish I could do the "impeller mod" but the blades on the impeller aren't even straight anymore from all of the rocks that have been jammed in it over the years. So...

I am in search of a replacement impeller. I need some help finding/sourcing one and need to know how to install it. If there are any other parts that need to be replaced in the process like bearings or seals, I would like to know. Hopefully someone is familiar with these machines/parts? Here is some info from the manual that I have...

Snowblower Model: TMO-35253A
Impeller (Fan Assy) Part #: 05469-456 but superseded by 05812-0637

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
My source shows both numbers as discontinued. Impellers are fairly common Ebay items and you can watch there for a used cream puff or a NOS part. There are many in Ebay right now, "MTD Impeller" There is also the possibility of a substitute. If you match the diameter and shaft size from something available you almost home. Keyways are usually standard to the shaft size. http://m-and-d.com/?mv_pc=Gilson

I think it's safe to say that whatever bearing is behind the impeller wants to be replaced while you are in there.

I don't know if a procedure for this exists anywhere. it's mostly common sense. If a procedure is found it will give you the order of operations. The biggest trick on these is often how to do it, not what to do.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
You could also have someone try to straighten it and maybe even weld something on the back side of each vane as a stiffener. Just depends on if you can find something nice out there.

How about a couple shots of the impeller ?? :icon-wwp:

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
nafterclifen is correct that since his machine has the TMO prefix it is an MTD.
The Gilson built Montgomery Ward models have a GIL prefix.

Pete
Dang! I knew this fact but I only read the first part of the post and never got to the numbers.:blush:

·
Registered
260 Posts
And to make it worse, if you do find a part you're prob going to have a deal of a time removing the rear pulley from the shaft and the impeller off the shaft. Before you buy any parts, you might try taking the blower apart. The rear pulley is often destroyed trying to get it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts