Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Guys --

Know that a half-competent machine shop can broach a new keyway in an existing pulley for you, and tap for a new setscrew. So don't panic.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Guys --

Know that a half-competent machine shop can broach a new keyway in an existing pulley for you, and tap for a new setscrew. So don't panic.
I would assume fixing the broken one would cost a lot more than getting a new/used one, if you could find one.

I could have been greedy and asked a lot of money for my used but no longer needed impeller pulley, but I'm not like that.

I think everyone was worried that they would just have to buy a new machine or shovel. All of the online parts retailers list the pulley, but are all discontinued. Even ebay had nothing.

Yearly maintenance would avoid this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys --

Read on there is a happy ending.
After spending way too much time searching eBay etc. for a replacement, I was about 20 minutes into cutting a keyway myself with the edge of the little flat-file I use for knocking down the depth gauge on my chainsaw. I was fighting to make sure to keep the edges square. I said to myself, 'If you mess this up, you're in for $200 -- minimum -- on an every bit as Mickey Mouse retrofit." I have a special place in the Mickey Mouse kingdom. This time I got on the phone.

A very-competent machine shop cut a new keyway in my existing pulley for $25 (his minimum shop rate). It took around 15 minutes from the time I walked in the door. The square key at Industrial Hardware was $5. The shaft key slot is a 0.197 or a 5mm. The 5mm is the one you are looking for.

If thirty bucks is too much for you, I'm saying I could have finished the keyway cut with the file in another half-hour. But you are going to have some play in your edges. You could Mickey Mouse a jig to keep the file from yawing -- so much.

This is an run-of-the-mill job for machine shops. If your local machine shops are too expensive, GTS Tom Megis Garden City Idaho. I'm sure you could drop you pulley in a usps flat rate envelope and get it done that way. Meanwhile, , if you have any questions -- ask away.

Mine is a craftsman snow blower 917881150 that uses this same pulley.
I consider my craftsman is a husky that has been painted red. ;-)
Craftsman 191079 impeller pulley
or a Husqvarna 532191071.
replaced by the also unavailable 532191079.
note the 532 prefix.

I'm a good researcher. I spent more time looking for this pulley than it took me to have a keyway cut. I think the only way you are going to find one of these pulleys online is if some one parts out a husky or craftsman on ebay and you are lucky enough to stumble upon it before it gets snapped up.

Eye Automotive tire Door Gas Circle
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Rim
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Circle
Wheel Automotive tire Rim Gas Wood
Eye Automotive tire Door Gas Circle

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Circle

Wheel Automotive tire Rim Gas Wood

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

21 - 23 of 23 Posts