Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Toyota Tacoma
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to repower my 1024 SHO. I have a few engines laying around and I am trying to figure out what is the best option. This is going to be my main snow blower and want it to really perform well.

Option 1: 12 horsepower Tecumseh OHV older style.
Option 2: 10 horsepower Tecumseh OHV newer style.
Option 3: Briggs 342cc OHV
Option 4: brand new LCT 414cc
Option 5: LH358 Tecumseh flat head

I plan on adding a light and heated grips to it. I do have a 60 watt flywheel and stator for the older tecumseh. It I use the tecumseh I will tear it down and rebuild it.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Why so many engines? All big too.

I'm of the thinking I want to use the oldest first to get rid of it. And it's 24" wide? Go with the smallest and oldest, LH358. Do you have plans for the others? That should influence your decisions.

·
Premium Member
2019 Toyota Tacoma
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. I have wide eyes and had many projects over the years. When repair season was over sometimes I would pull the engine and junk or sell the body for short money.

Once I decide. I'll most likely do something with the rest.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am about to repower my 1024 SHO. I have a few engines laying around and I am trying to figure out what is the best option. This is going to be my main snow blower and want it to really perform well.

Option 1: 12 horsepower Tecumseh OHV older style.
Option 2: 10 horsepower Tecumseh OHV newer style.
Option 3: Briggs 342cc OHV
Option 4: brand new LCT 414cc
Option 5: LH358 Tecumseh flat head

I plan on adding a light and heated grips to it. I do have a 60 watt flywheel and stator for the older tecumseh. It I use the tecumseh I will tear it down and rebuild it.
Out of those engines, I have used the LCT 414 cc for 7 seasons and it is fantastic, lots of power and reliable but small gas tank. Also the OHV Tecumseh 11 hp OHSK110 from 2003 (approx 18 years), that I gave to my son 7 years ago, and that is also a good engine, just not as powerful as the LCT. Both do about 60 engine operating hours per season and no problems.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I dropped an older 12hp OHV on a ST1032. Worked like a Charm

·
Premium Member
2019 Toyota Tacoma
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Briggs and LCT are not just a bolt on. I think a two belt upgrade kit was available to retrofit some machines. I might buy one if I can find it.

Very helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Option 4 all day long! You would then have a SS-HO !!!
1615312434885.png

·
Registered
269 Posts
my gut feeling.. option 1 .. probably the least work involved and not over-overkill on the power lol 12HP is still a 20% upgrade on the power situation.. maybe not that big a bump on the torque.. but on a 24in machine.. torque probably isnt as critical

·
Premium Member
2019 Toyota Tacoma
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going with the newer OHV and rebuilding and cleaning up the older 12hp then swapping and seeing if I get an improvement on performance.

Has anyone tried adapting dual belt kit to a 924 series? Looks like a hub swap and idiler and belts. Wondering if it will all fit under the belt cover.

Part# 72600700

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Going with the newer OHV and rebuilding and cleaning up the older 12hp then swapping and seeing if I get an improvement on performance.

Has anyone tried adapting dual belt kit to a 924 series? Looks like a hub swap and idiler and belts. Wondering if it will all fit under the belt cover.

Part# 72600700
No room for a dual auger belt system on the 924 model.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
No room in what way?
What needs to be changed to make it happen?
There is not enough distance ahead of the crank to the bucket to fit the double pulley, which is a long unit. The experts with the 924 say a single belt is all you need. The early 926 models had single belts until belt slip caused a move to the dual belt system.

I don't have personal experience with the 924 models.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts