Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a 1980s toro 5/24 snowblower that needs a new motor. Would this be a direct fit for the predator motor onto the original engine mount. Then use the shaft adapter? Or is the new engine size alot larger then the original 5hp?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
should be a drop in fit other than maybe needing longer bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
The Predator should bolt right in. As mentioned the chute crank may need to be positioned out a bit (2") from the point where it attaches to the handle bar (via a longer bolt and a 2" spacer sleeve). This is so the chute crank will clear the valve cover of the Predator.

The engine engine will basically get you to a 724 in terms of performance. Both engines should have the 3/4" crankshaft, so the pulley should be re-usable.

I put the Predator 212cc on my Toro 521, so it throws snow into next week. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
i have owned a few 524, 724 and one 824 model which i used for a few years. trust me, these toro engines use a 1 inch crank and YOU WILL NEED A SLEEVE. it will be a huge roadblock when you tear down your old engine so order one

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys cant wait to get this running! I ordered a new sleeve adapter so that should be here soon!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Toroboy,

I forgot to add...

The only really unique thing to know about the repower is that metric bolts are not used on the crankshaft back plate where you have to remount the belt idler

Being a foreign engine you'd think they'd be metric but they are not. Need to use 5/16-24 bolts.

Found out the answer to that here:

Bolt for 212cc Predator engine shaft? - DIY Go Kart Forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts