Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

My first snowblower project. My PowerClear 180 engine took a crap, can't even replace it. After some researching and You Tubing, I've seen several have repowered their blowers with Predator Engines. I just got back from Harbor Freight and picked up the 79cc engine. I'm stuck as I don't know how to adapt the pulley to the Predator shaft. The key is slight bigger on the Predator Engine, and the shaft is shorter too. I'll attach some pictures.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here so that I can get this thing mounted and ready to go? Looks like the bolt pattern should be ok to match up, just stuck with this pulley.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Do you have an electric motor shop anywhere nearby? They could probably help you with an extension (which will probably take the shaft diameter up to a one inch) and a new pulley with the same diameter as the old one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I know of unfortunately, but the shaft diameters are the same size. Your right, its almost like I need an extension, unless its ok to have that pulley half on the shaft. I measured 1 3/4" space from where the pulley went on to the old shaft. Its tapered so it stops at that distance on the old, not on the new......I was hoping I could just swap the pulleys and make them work. I need to make sure its at the same distance so that it lines up with that 2nd pulley for the belt. The key on the Predator shaft is 3/16", not sure what it is from the Loncin Engine but its definitely smaller, so I almost need a key that has 3/16" on the bottom, then smaller at the top so that I can affix the pulley to the shaft. I really have no experience with this and am pretty much stuck. If I can't get this to work I'll have to take the Predator Engine back.

Can I just drill a hole in the pulley and use some sort of set screw instead? What are my options?

·
Banned
474 Posts
They make stepped key and looks like your new engine has 1/4" keyway and the old was 3/16, so 1/4-3/16 stepped key will solve that problem. If the new engine shaft is long enough for 1/2 to 2/3's of the old pulley width for install it will probably work.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Use some Loctite stud and bearing mount on pulley as a little extra insurance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the feedback guys! So, I will look for a stepped key. Is the Loctite Stud and Bearing so that the pulley can't move toward the engine? As I mentioned, the Predator shaft is shorter than the Loncin shaft. I measure and it sits about 1 3/4" from the motor. So, if I put the pulley on the new shaft, it will need to be in that exact position so that the other pulleys are in line.

The Loncin shaft is tapered so it stops exactly where it needs to so the pulleys are in line. I need someway keep it at that same distance on the new shaft.

Is this correct?? Or should I get a brand new pulley with a keyway that fits the predator shaft?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I've done some further investigating. The keyway on the new 79cc Predator is 3/16". The only documentation I could find on the Loncin, was the it says 5mm x 6.5mm x 16mm...........I'm not exactly which fraction or size that would closest equate to. The stepped keys seem hard to find. No one has stock around here unless I order a ton of it.

This is what I am thinking........wouldn't it be easier just to get another V-Belt Pulley that is the same, or close to, the current pulley dimensions? That way I can match the 3/16" keyway up very easily. If anyone knows where to get these types of pulleys, please let me know. I don't think Home Depot or Lowes carry's them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The loctite is so your set screw wouldn't back out. If you tried to use what you have you'd have to drill the pulley and tap it as well, and then there might be a little slop if the set screw isn't close to the same width of the flat of the keyway on the engine shaft.

I don't know offhand what the pulley diameter is, but if you put all those parameters into a google search you'll probably find a pulley you need, most likely from some place like Grainger. As an example I searched "3 inch pulley 3/4 inch shaft 1/4-3/16 stepped key" and got this hit.

https://www.grainger.com/product/5RHY9?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166591017996!!!g!82166299197!&ef_id=WOuAMgAAAXL0ONGt:20171220154019:s&kwid=productads-adid^166591017996-device^c-plaid^82166299197-sku^5RHY9-adType^PLA

But again - look in the yellow pages under 'electric motor' and I'll bet you have a shop nearby.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again Dhazelton! I measured the pulley and it is around 2" diameter, with a 5/8 bore. The new pulley I need is 2", 5/8" bore, and has the 3/16" keyway to match the new motor shaft. I found plenty to choose from on Graingers site, so I'll order today and go pick that up tomorrow.

You don't think it matters that the new pulley isn't ribbed do you? The old pulley is ribbed, but the current belt was not and it was working just fine. I'll let you know how it works out after I go pick it up tomorrow.

One things.............should I be concerned that the new shaft is slightly shorter than the old one? If I place the old pulley on the new shaft, in the position it needs to be in so that its aligned to the rest, it looks like its at least 1/2 way on. Do I need to extend the shaft?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dhazelton,

Ok, I will just try it. I dont think the others can be shimmed out though. I have 2 option here:

1) Use the new pulley from Grainger. I'll probably need to redrill and tap a set screw hole because it will not be mounted on the new motor shaft far enough for them to even work.

2) I ordered a 1/8" to 3/16" step key which I can use with the old pulley. I've already drilled and tapped a set screw hole for that one because it did not have already. The old shaft was tapered so the pulley could not go any further toward the engine and it was already aligned with the idler pulley. I'll need the set screws to make sure to keep it in place.

I'm anxious to get this going! I hope it works. Problem is I have to put gas/oil in the Predator Engine to see if it works, and at that point I basically can't return the Engine to Harbor Freight if it doesn't work!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I don't think they can be shimmed out, I've checked. I got the pulley from Grainger, but I was told by someone else that this may put too much stress on the belt because the pulley is for V-belts (which the strange thing is these snowblower belts are labeled as v-belts in the parts diagram). Not sure if this will work or not. I'm waiting for my 3/16 - 1/8" stepped key, that way I can reuse the old pulley. I've drilled and tapped for a set screw in the old pulley in case I use it.

Does anyone else think this pulley will put too much stress on the belt? Here is what I got today:

https://www.grainger.com/product/TB-WOOD-S-V-Belt-Pulley-5RHY7?searchBar=true&searchQuery=5RHY7

·
Banned
474 Posts
You have a flat ribbed belt, right? That pulley is for a v-belt and will not work.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thanks again Dhazelton! I measured the pulley and it is around 2" diameter, with a 5/8 bore. The new pulley I need is 2", 5/8" bore, and has the 3/16" keyway to match the new motor shaft. I found plenty to choose from on Graingers site, so I'll order today and go pick that up tomorrow.

You don't think it matters that the new pulley isn't ribbed do you? The old pulley is ribbed, but the current belt was not and it was working just fine. I'll let you know how it works out after I go pick it up tomorrow.

One things.............should I be concerned that the new shaft is slightly shorter than the old one? If I place the old pulley on the new shaft, in the position it needs to be in so that its aligned to the rest, it looks like its at least 1/2 way on. Do I need to extend the shaft?
Can you move the motor or other pulley at all to line up the belt with the pulley all the way in?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
No I don't think they can be shimmed out, I've checked. I got the pulley from Grainger, but I was told by someone else that this may put too much stress on the belt because the pulley is for V-belts (which the strange thing is these snowblower belts are labeled as v-belts in the parts diagram). Not sure if this will work or not. I'm waiting for my 3/16 - 1/8" stepped key, that way I can reuse the old pulley. I've drilled and tapped for a set screw in the old pulley in case I use it.

Does anyone else think this pulley will put too much stress on the belt? Here is what I got today:

https://www.grainger.com/product/TB-WOOD-S-V-Belt-Pulley-5RHY7?searchBar=true&searchQuery=5RHY7
Take the old pulley to a local machine shop, they can enlarge the keyway for you to 3/16. Shouldn't be much. I have a local shop I take little jobs like this to. This way you have the right belts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Fire up the engine and make sure it works. They will take it back within a certain period, you just have to drain the fuel out of it first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a good idea. I tried to research the return policy on gasoline engines for Harbor Freight but I didn't see anything. I was hoping worst case if it doesn't work that I could return the engine.

Does anyone think this pulley will be imbalanced? I tried to drill/tap for a set screw, but unfortunately I did a poor job and the set screw just can't get in there. I hope one and if the step key works that the pulley won't be imbalanced and cause vibration though? I also added a 5/8 collar to lock the alignment in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I would just weld that collar to your original pulley ... all done!

Still using the stepped key-way of course ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks DHazelton/Oneacer,

I should be getting that 1/8 to 3/16 step key here soon. I sure hope it fits the old pulley! I shouldn't need to weld that collar to the original pulley, it has a set screw on it so it should hold it to the shaft. Lets say this step key I ordered DOESN'T work. Do you think that JB Weld would have enough strength to hold the pulley to the shaft? I know it wouldn't be recommended, but that is my last resort. I can try to take it to a machine shop and have them enlarge that keyway to 3/16, but if I can't find a machine shop to do it I was just curious about the JB Weld.

Forgot to ask you guys............I seriously took a guess on trying to mate the Woodruff Key to the new 3/16 key. No idea what size this is off the old motor. Of course its metric..........I guessed at 1/8".

I also put some more pictures on here with the fully mounted motor. As I said, the existing bolt pattern matched right up. The 4 on the belt side, and the 2 underneath. Exact fit. The only issues really were the mismatched keyway (both motor shafts are 5/8") for the engine pulley, and the motor shaft was about 1" shorter on the Predator. I also had to grind down the belt guard because of the shorter shaft size.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts