Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find repowered forums so I'll just post here for now until I can be redirected. I replaced my blown 312 Tek with a 301 Predator on my Ariens and finally got everything working. I do need to replace the belt guard but that's nothing urgent at the moment.

I had to relocate the stud holes for the motor mount. Front to back was the same but width was different. They were moved to the farthest point on the case and I had to use a cut-off wheel to remove part of the stud plate to make way of the case angle out on the edge. I also had to find the new belt dimensions and I had to raise the cover to match the new height of the shaft. To fix the cover, I found an old plastic battery box I hadn't used for several years and was the same thickness. I tested a section and welded perfectly with the original material...both melted at the same temp. I cut a strip from the box of the width I needed and then cut thin strips for filler material. I used a pencil style solder iron to weld it together. Watch out for the fumes if you do this...plastic fumes are bad!

I'll get pics up as well as specs of the machine so others can use any ideas that may be helpful. I haven't run it in snow yet but I'm sure it's going to be a beast.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Very cool! Pics would be great, maybe even a video (ideally of it in action). Thanks for sharing your results.

The 212cc Predator gets most of the press around here, but I like the idea of the extra power potential of the 301cc. I just wish it wasn't >2 times the price of the 212cc.

The re-powering forum area is here:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/re-powering/

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Very cool! Pics would be great, maybe even a video (ideally of it in action). Thanks for sharing your results.

The 212cc Predator gets most of the press around here, but I like the idea of the extra power potential of the 301cc. I just wish it wasn't >2 times the price of the 212cc.

The re-powering forum area is here:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/re-powering/
I also wish the 301 wasn't so much more money than the 212.

Yes, share pics, our IQs require pictures.

Thanks for searching, copying and pasting the re-powering posts. Always good.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Niteshft, To insert pictures, when you start your post scroll down to Manage Attachments, if you've already posted go to Edit, Advanced.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I also wish the 301 wasn't so much more money than the 212.

Yes, share pics, our IQs require pictures.

Thanks for searching, copying and pasting the re-powering posts. Always good.
$240 after tax isn't that bad for what is offered...I just with it had electric start and could power the lights. I may add a starter at a later time. I also need to make a new belt guard since the shaft is longer on this motor and the guard doesn't reach the auger pulley.

I didn't search, copy and paste, just started a new post.

If anyone didn't notice, I add pics to a previous post above.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plastic weld looks rough but I used a pencil soldering iron to do the job. I used to have a soldering iron with a flat tip but that was years ago. The right tool will do a better job. I searched for a plastic welding kit but thought I could get what I needed done with what I had. If you want a cleaner look a kit might be an option.

I used a hacksaw to cut the belt cover where I wanted it to rise. I measured and scribed a line into the plastic where I wanted to make the cuts. I believe the spacer strip measured 1 1/4 inch wide.

Make sure to have room or a way to exhaust any smoke given off during the weld. Plastic smoke is very dangerous to inhale.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's original equipment except for the engine and adjustments I had to make to the brackets. I can hardly believe I kept the machine this long and decided to rebuild. She almost went with the load of reciclables I took to the dump a few years ago. All the decals are original and the paint is like new. I have the advantage of a new machine since it's never been used since the engine blew the second season I used her...less than a year.
We are getting near or more than a foot of snow tomorrow, through the next day, and I'm getting a bit excited!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got her out but the machine wouldn't move in reverse. I tried adjusting the linkage but that just slowed down the forward speeds. It's not from wear since the machine has seen only a single season of use before the engine blew.

Also, the Predator engine doesn't seem to run at the same RPM as the old Tech. I adjusted the carb screw but the machine just doesn't throw anywhere near what it did before. I ended up using my other machine to do the job and put this one back in the garage to go over everything.

Oh! The chute kept popping off with snow blowing out the sides...I may need to weld some webbing to the bracket to stifin it where it goes at a right angle. I had thought of that before I was finished but decided to give it a go as is. Wrong decision.

Any suggestions as to the engine issues and reverse would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
niteshft....really nice job.....I haven't seen too many swaps with the 301....that is really nice. I particularly like how you fabricated the mount for the chute control...I'll be copying some of your ideas!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I tested my restored simplicity 860 with a pred 301 for the first time today. And I was very pleased. Blows through full buckets of soggy ice/snow with a respectable 20-30ft throw.

I can honestly say the 301 has more balls then I thought it would. What screw are you adjusting? And do you have a tachometer?

The rpm limiting screw is not located on the carb. It’s under the fuel tank. The idle limit screw is on the carb. I run mine at 3800rpm. How exactly is your setup not working as well as the old Ariens?

You should bump the jet a bit, stock is .036 on my non hemi engine. I’m not sure if it’s different on the hemi. Im currently at .037 and it feels great for an unbroken in engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tested my restored simplicity 860 with a pred 301 for the first time today. And I was very pleased. Blows through full buckets of soggy ice/snow with a respectable 20-30ft throw.

I can honestly say the 301 has more balls then I thought it would. What screw are you adjusting? And do you have a tachometer?

The rpm limiting screw is not located on the carb. It’s under the fuel tank. The idle limit screw is on the carb. I run mine at 3800rpm. How exactly is your setup not working as well as the old Ariens?

You should bump the jet a bit, stock is .036 on my non hemi engine. I’m not sure if it’s different on the hemi. Im currently at .037 and it feels great for an unbroken in engine.
I don't see any adjustment under the fuel tank but I did see a black phillips head under the carb filter on the left side...I'll try that next...can't find the manuel. :redface:

I did fix the reverse issue. After sitting for several years the friction disk seized up but had enough spring so that it moved ahead on the forward drive side. I used a bar under the disk and against the axle and it popped up but stayed in place. I added some penetrating fluid and worked it back and forth until the control moved it on it's own.

As for the chute popping off, I elongated the holes on the bracket I made so that I could tilt the chute back towards the engine so that it was level at the base. I hadn't realized I was off when I clamped it into place and drilled through for the bolts that it was off.

This machine had seen only one season when I bought it years ago and the engine blew. Hopefully, I'll get the rpm issue taken care of and have a "like new" machine for the next snow storm.:grin:

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Wow, nice work, thanks for sharing the results! It's great to see a 301cc Predator swap.

My Ariens has the same sort of chute mount/control. I've wondered what I'd do if the Tec engine blew. Any replacement engine would require working the chute control mechanism, as you did. Thanks for sharing how you did that.

Good luck getting the bugs worked out! Hopefully we'll get some more snow so you can try it again.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
@drmerdp where did you get the jet for your predator 301?
I have a cheap set of wire gauge drill bits that I used to enlarge the jet orifice in this instance.

Otherwise I usually buy replacement jets from either Honda directly, eBay, or NRracing.com. They have OEM and aftermarket jets available.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got enough snow to try the machine again and the chute popped off again. The chute bracket needed adjustment. One of the bolts holding the chute bracket was against the wall so I drilled new holes 1/2 inch away. It seems that I was lucky this time as there is no wobble and it turns freely. I have 6 ins of snow coming tonight and tomorrow so I'll get to test it again.

Blowing snow should be improved with the chute tilted back, at least I hope so. It throws snow about half of the current machine of the same power but, with its original Tech engine and around 20 years old. I think I can remember the machines were evenly matched when new. I need to tack the engine to see if that may be an issue but mine isn't working.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I finally got her out but the machine wouldn't move in reverse. I tried adjusting the linkage but that just slowed down the forward speeds. It's not from wear since the machine has seen only a single season of use before the engine blew.

Also, the Predator engine doesn't seem to run at the same RPM as the old Tech. I adjusted the carb screw but the machine just doesn't throw anywhere near what it did before. I ended up using my other machine to do the job and put this one back in the garage to go over everything.

Oh! The chute kept popping off with snow blowing out the sides...I may need to weld some webbing to the bracket to stifin it where it goes at a right angle. I had thought of that before I was finished but decided to give it a go as is. Wrong decision.

Any suggestions as to the engine issues and reverse would be appreciated.
The Predator 212cc as well as the 301cc are designed to run at rpms (3800+ rpms) that would blow a Tecumseh. Why turn down the rpms? I have 3 Predator 212cc's one on a mini bike the other two are on snowblowers and I been running all of them as fast as they can be per the stock governor and they are all working great.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts