Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Craftsman blower from 2001 that had the Tecumseh motor that is noted to throw the rod; the guy tossed the motor.. The body was complete and there was a box of parts with the augers and the auger gearbox in peices. For $30 couldn't go wrong! I have a "donor" motor, a 8hp Briggs Industrial Plus off a generator. I was wondering id I can run a light off the alternator wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is what I have done to the blower so far..
Cleaned, lubed and assembled the auger gearcase. Everything was as new and spun nice and easy when assembled
Sanded, primed and painted the body of the blower..
Ordered new pulleys and had my FIL open up the one pulley on the lathe to fit the tapered shaft.
Drilled new mounting holes on the base and mounted the motor.
Brought complete blower with motor to an engine shop to measure the belts so I get the correct size.
Engine starts right up and everything on the blower works, the trans is fine in all gears and the auger spins nice and free.
I will post pics soon....

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You should be able to run a light. I was going to tell you that a generator engine most likely won't work because of the tapered shaft, but sounds like you got that sorted. Why was the gearbox apart? Did they manage to kill the gear and the engine at the same time?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
More pics of completed project....
The nice thing about this was the pulley cover fit with one slight modification, I had to cut a hole in the top storage area so the pulley didn't rub. Other than that the pulley cover fit.

To the question about why the auger gearcase was taken apart by the previous owner, i have no idea. But. this was my first attempt ever at doing something like this, and thanks to the web searches I found this site, and the video's of "donyboy" which helped me assemble the auger gearcase.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Nice looking machine now. Can't wait for snow.

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Great job there! It will be interesting to see it go after the snow this year. Keep us posted on how it does.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good job! So $30 plus stuff laying around including the engine, what you have invested? Safe to say less than $100 with a belt?

Good deal!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$30 for the blower, $13 muffler, misc bolts and clips $15, and belts were the biggest expense. This motor sits higer and we guessed at 4in larger drive belt up to a 36 (perfect). The auger belt was a challenge. 37in way to tight, and 38in worked with some adjustment but was loose. I then bought a 37.5in belt and it was perfect. Add $36 for belts, and $8 for primer and paint. So total cost was $102.

I'm looking to get another blower, an Ariens 4hp that is missing the auger shaft and gear. Everything else is there incuding the augers. This one is FREE. Once I have the model number I'll be looking for the auger shaft and gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts