Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
repowering my 1972 simplicity snowaway. The 6hp L head briggs is getting tired. Installing a Honda GX200 6.5 hp. Had to redrill the mounting holes to center the crankshaft. The height was to low,used briggs 1" spacers and had to get a pulley sleeve to from 3/4" to 1" e-bay worked great. Had to put a deflector on the muffler to point it outward. This engine off of a pressure washer, will I have to make a hot air box to keep the carb from freezing up?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Some of us are using non snow engines just fine and some freeze up. Guess it depends on your conditions. A lot of pressure washers use tapered shafts just like generators so make sure yours isn't. Sounds like you already checked though.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
repowering my 1972 simplicity snowaway. The 6hp L head briggs is getting tired. Installing a Honda GX200 6.5 hp. Had to redrill the mounting holes to center the crankshaft. The height was to low,used briggs 1" spacers and had to get a pulley sleeve to from 3/4" to 1" e-bay worked great. Had to put a deflector on the muffler to point it outward. This engine off of a pressure washer, will I have to make a hot air box to keep the carb from freezing up?[/QUOTE

I used a Honda clone (Predator 212cc) and I fashioned a snow shield from a piece of Aluminum to go between the gasoline tank and the engine to protect the governor linkages. I also jeted the engine richer by removing the main jet and using floss and polishing compound to enlarge it slightly so it will run without surging in the cold winter air. Icing only occurs when the humidity is high meaning at or above the temperature you are at and the air is colder than the freezing point. I have been using both my blowers and niether of the have frozen up. I even kept the piece of air filter foam in the air cleaner intact while others have removed it. Freezing if air is cold and dry is unlikely to happen since humidity in the winter can be as low as in a desert. Carburetor icing is a fairly low occurrence since it requires high humidity were the humidity is equal to the temperature or rainy/ snowing while blowing snow could increase your chance of carburetor icing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the responses. I will try to make a shield to go over the air cleaner and capture some heat . The briggs didn't have a air filter on it just a open pipe, the machine had a hood over the whole engine to keep the heat to the carb. This Honda starts easy one pull with the choke on and the switch on when I remember it. Sounds good, need snow to try it out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's the model with the paddlewheel auger. I've had those before and they are absolute snow cannons. Only problem with them is that changing the auger bearings on them is nearly impossible due to corrosion. Did you change yours, and if so, how'd you do it?

·
Registered
864 Posts
those are a neat design, there's a few vids on Ebay about taking them apart. looks like a complex machine to work on. I wouldn't mind taking a look inside one out of curiosity, myself....

the only icing problem I ever had was with my tractor in very, very cold weather, the governor linkage would ice up- but eventually running the machine long enough, it melts it off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts