Snowblower Forum banner

Repurposing a snowblower engine

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  moose 
#1 ·
So here's what I built with a used 11 HP B&S engine. I built it ..... well do I need a reason? Of course not. Just a project For something to do in my retirement years. Works pretty well. I replaced the 120V starter with a 12V one. So electric start and the battery also runs the winch to raise and lower. I 've cut quite a bit of wood, mostly softwood from my neighbors.Also milled some Ash from Emerald Ash Borer dead trees. It was an interesting project and I did learn from my ongoing mistakes as I am not a machinist or mechanic. 16" tires, 136" long band blade. I can cut up to 22" diameter logs . Of course I am limited to size of logs I can handle. I also built a log arch move the logs so I don't destroy my lawn. If I can build it anyone can.BTW I did manage to install an air filter.

See less See more
#3 ·
^^-- that "swapping motors" reminds me of the set-up I recall as a kid...

Dad had a snowblower with a removable engine that would transfer to the reel mower in the summer.
I think there was some sort if idler pulley on one side that had to be released to loosen the belts; then there was a large handle/ wing-nut that had be unscrewed to remove the power plant, then move to other implement and repeat in reverse for install.
It was red in color and I think it might have been a Toro brand, but not positive on that.

With all the snowblower gear heads here I do not recall ever seeing a setup of which I describe.
If anyone has one (or pictures) I would love to see it.

#5 ·
Yep, that's it... tried putting some keywords in a search but nothing came back.
We had only the snowblower and the reel mower and definitely not the roto- tiller (we rented that from the garden center every spring.)

Tabs comes through again... thanks for the image my friend.... and a trip down memory lane!

#6 · (Edited)
Neat image... never knew of the other implements...

...wondering what this device is, seems as if it is some type of horizontal blade???
...looks sorta' dangerous:

On Edit: reading the fine print, it indicates it is an edger/ trimmer.

#8 ·
Awesome stuff, Thanks Tabs.

Y'all here on this site are a great bunch of folks. Kinda' tearing up bringing back the memories of my dad who was truly a renaissance man. He had this set-up (with only the two attachments) and I am sure he inherited it from a neighbor. Dad rarely bought anything new if he could acquire and repair it.

Reactions: JJG723
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.