Snowblower Forum banner

301 - 320 of 351 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
WOW!!! you do excellent work. they all look brand NEW!!!
Thanks. My "secret" for the cosmetics is Honda's Spray Cleaner and Polish. Original Bike Spirits Cleaner and Polish also works well. Clean the surface, spray it on liberally, wait a minute or two before wiping off the excess and then do a quick buff. They are expensive products but the results are well worth it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have my eye on a couple hondas I might pickup at the end of the year. Since no one is buying blowers nothing is moving.

Thay means there should be some good deals heading tward spring. I dont mind storing for the summer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I have my eye on a couple hondas I might pickup at the end of the year. Since no one is buying blowers nothing is moving.

Thay means there should be some good deals heading tward spring. I dont mind storing for the summer

I check our weather forecast (Massachusetts) for the week a day or so ago. Mid to upper 40’s with only one day, Thursday if I remember correctly to be below freezing temperatures. Easy week on heat bills, snowblower use and a tough week for those who depend on cold weather to supplement their income.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
I don't know what happened but I sold a snowblower today and one on Sunday. And, I've received a few inquiries on another unit I listed yesterday. I'm feeling pretty lucky since my last sale was just before Christmas.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
I find riding mowers to be the most profitable, you still have to get them cheap though. April till June I can sell all I fix. Chain saws, blowers, rototillers, powerwashers, generators,push mowers....I only mess with if free, and if they are an easy fix. Snow blowers I really like to work on, but hard to make any money off of the last four years...just enough to feed my habit!
do the same thing almost. I probably have a dozen machines out back that are only good for parts. most were free but they do come in handy at times.

hey maybe you know. what happened to the cranberry harvest? the prices out here are thru the roof. I used to work near the bogs in the Myles Standish State forest at the boy scout camp.used to get 2 cans for a dollar last year and now the best price is 2 for $3.

I LOVE cranberry sauce.

well maybe I will pick up that old Honda for $30. the owner said he can't get it started. most times it's not too hard to fix that. worse case the parts are worth several hundred.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
sounds like something you really shouldn't have to think about it if your going to make hundreds of $$ off $30
I'm feeling pretty lucky since my last sale was just before Christmas.
you most likely were. with the way winter has been this year i feel like snowblower sales are done for the season at this point. only about 2-3 months of winter left and even then i doubt we will get any major snow dumps to help sell. been alot of above freezing temps around here lately. getting all the idiots wondering when the outdoor skating rinks will open lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
do the same thing almost. I probably have a dozen machines out back that are only good for parts. most were free but they do come in handy at times.

hey maybe you know. what happened to the cranberry harvest? the prices out here are thru the roof. I used to work near the bogs in the Myles Standish State forest at the boy scout camp.used to get 2 cans for a dollar last year and now the best price is 2 for $3.

I LOVE cranberry sauce.

well maybe I will pick up that old Honda for $30. the owner said he can't get it started. most times it's not too hard to fix that. worse case the parts are worth several hundred.
Cranberry prices to the farmer tanked in 97, and never really recovered. The price to the farmer is less then half what it was in the 80's, but cost of production has multiplied several times......which explains why I mess with lawn tractors, blowers and chainsaws!

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Cranberry prices to the farmer tanked in 97, and never really recovered. The price to the farmer is less then half what it was in the 80's, but cost of production has multiplied several times......which explains why I mess with lawn tractors, blowers and chainsaws!
it just seems like it happens in every industry.....the race to the bottom. used to be in logging and loved it but gradually could not make a living at it so had to change.

my parents' generation was such the father could work and the mother stay home. that changed. now everyone works or else you are living in poverty. I believe that was the intention of big business.

extra money in this small engine repairs is nice . but it shouldn't have to be this way.

if i lived close by I would give you my old 353 Husky chainsaw I am having trouble with. bought a new Rancher 455 a couple years ago but it is heavier than I like.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm doing a complete rebuild on a Husky 455 tomorrow...the parts just came in today. No money to be made on this...just want to do it for the experience....I like Stihl and Echo....but love Huskys.....

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm doing a complete rebuild on a Husky 455 tomorrow...the parts just came in today. No money to be made on this...just want to do it for the experience....I like Stihl and Echo....but love Huskys.....
I love working on chainsaws. You can make money on the large pro saws if you can get them non running. Parts are available and pretty cheap on ebay.

I put a high compression piston and gutted the muffler in my stihl 036 for fun .

It's a pretty bad saw now.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
I love working on chainsaws. You can make money on the large pro saws if you can get them non running. Parts are available and pretty cheap on ebay.

I put a high compression piston and gutted the muffler in my stihl 036 for fun .

It's a pretty bad saw now.

which chainsaw do you prefer working on? i may try to do this but start on an easy machine.

I've worked on maybe 5-6 brands of snowblowers but there is not really much money in reselling non hondas around here. money in repairing but idon't wanna stock parts for different machines. i can do Honda engines that are on generators, pressure washers, wood splitters , etc. usually the same problems related to carburetors and bad gas.

·
Registered
772 Posts
which chainsaw do you prefer working on? i may try to do this but start on an easy machine.

I've worked on maybe 5-6 brands of snowblowers but there is not really much money in reselling non hondas around here. money in repairing but idon't wanna stock parts for different machines. i can do Honda engines that are on generators, pressure washers, wood splitters , etc. usually the same problems related to carburetors and bad gas.
Chainsaw try to stick to stihl and husqvarna.

Make sure it has good compression if it doesnt it will need a piston possibly a cylinder. But you can get some real cheap on ebay.

They have a fuel system and oiling system that's about it. Really you can take both makes almost fully apart with just a t27 torx bit and that's it.

Love working on them

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
which chainsaw do you prefer working on?
Somehow (inheritance) I've ended up with a Stihl, a McCulloch, a Jonsereds & a Husqvarna. And that's my order of preference to both use them and work on them... The Husqvarna always works and never needs any extraordinary maintenance. The Stihl ALWAYS needs tinkering.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Somehow (inheritance) I've ended up with a Stihl, a McCulloch, a Jonsereds & a Husqvarna. And that's my order of preference to both use them and work on them... The Husqvarna always works and never needs any extraordinary maintenance. The Stihl ALWAYS needs tinkering.
What model Stihl? as long as the fuel system is clean and fueling is good. i bet you have an air leak somewhere these old saws are prone to air leaks as the rubber seals and gaskets will degrade over time.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
What model Stihl? as long as the fuel system is clean and fueling is good. i bet you have an air leak somewhere these old saws are prone to air leaks as the rubber seals and gaskets will degrade over time.
And that's the issue... I've owned all of them for 30+ years now. The other three saws are relatively trouble-free, and all have their original fuel handling bits. They are kept at different properties and each is used only a handful of times each year.

I've replaced the rubber bits on the Stihl 028 Super two times already, and it needs to be done again now. The 028 replaced an older 090 that was a great saw, but became too heavy for my father to use.

I find myself carrying the Husqvarna to the other properties if I anticipate doing a lot of cutting because it starts easily and idles forever, while the other saws tend to stall when left sitting for a minute or two.

·
Registered
772 Posts
And that's the issue... I've owned all of them for 30+ years now. The other three saws are relatively trouble-free, and all have their original fuel handling bits. They are kept at different properties and each is used only a handful of times each year.

I've replaced the rubber bits on the Stihl 028 Super two times already, and it needs to be done again now. The 028 replaced an older 088 that was a great saw, but became too heavy for my father to use.

I find myself carrying the Husqvarna to the other properties if I anticipate doing a lot of cutting because it starts easily and idles forever, while the other saws tend to stall when left sitting for a minute or two.
man thats a bummer i had an 028 a while back when i cut lots of fire wood its probably my favorite saw ive ever had.

i used it for around 10 years cutting wood and replaced the fuel lines once and rebuilt the carb once thats it. its probably the best firewood saw ever made IMO.

now i have a 036 to handle whatever i need every now and then.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
If anyone is interested in Harbor Freight's lift table, the 1000lb model is on sale for $210. I think I paid about $230 with the coupon at the regular price a couple of years ago. The 500 pound model would be $145 (not on sale) with the standard 20% off coupon. I'm sure the 500lb model would accomodate any snowblower; I just wanted the added insurance of the 1000lb model for other purposes.

Caution- these things are HEAVY. HF uses the same lift cart to load all of their bulky items in your truck. Bring a helper to assist with unloading! I did it myself but used the forks on my tractor's loader....it's really that heavy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-Capacity-Hydraulic-Table-Cart-60438.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNDg1MTM2NTgiLCJza3UiOiI2MDQzOCIsImlzIjoiMjA5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6IjkzMjgifQ== &utm_source=1021&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0620B_Inventory_Blowout&cid=mEmail_s1021_0620B_Inventory_Blowout&lid=22,590,265&uid=be233a22340795490aac3e002cff303ac398aa4a13aad4a3dbadaf835bc8eef7

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
If anyone is interested in Harbor Freight's lift table, the 1000lb model is on sale for $210. I think I paid about $230 with the coupon at the regular price a couple of years ago. The 500 pound model would be $145 (not on sale) with the standard 20% off coupon. I'm sure the 500lb model would accomodate any snowblower; I just wanted the added insurance of the 1000lb model for other purposes.

Caution- these things are HEAVY. HF uses the same lift cart to load all of their bulky items in your truck. Bring a helper to assist with unloading! I did it myself but used the forks on my tractor's loader....it's really that heavy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-Capacity-Hydraulic-Table-Cart-60438.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNDg1MTM2NTgiLCJza3UiOiI2MDQzOCIsImlzIjoiMjA5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6IjkzMjgifQ== &utm_source=1021&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0620B_Inventory_Blowout&cid=mEmail_s1021_0620B_Inventory_Blowout&lid=22,590,265&uid=be233a22340795490aac3e002cff303ac398aa4a13aad4a3dbadaf835bc8eef7
good deal in store. $97 shipping for me. I'm not too far from the Reno stores. though. been thinking of getting one of these. i usually will drive the blower onto some pallets but if doesn't run I'm working near the ground , haha

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Finally, a wee bit of snow today! I just received a wonderful message and photo from a nice couple who bought my last snowblower....very rewarding to know your work is appreciated.

Thanks again for selling us an awesome snow blower, we really needed it today!

Attachments

301 - 320 of 351 Posts