Snowblower Forum banner

321 - 340 of 351 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #321 (Edited)
The wife is having dinner with her girlfriends, it's raining and after a full day of barn projects, I'm bored!

I put together a little photo album of the snowblowers I've sold this season along with the ones waiting for a buyer (most likely next fall-winter). I sold 12 machines this season which is about average. It's actually a miracle considering we've had almost no snow! Anyway, the first 3 photos show 10 sold machines. I didn't have a chance to photograph an Ariens 1128 or a 927LE since they were purchased before I could list them. The last 2 photos show the ones I have for sale but there are still 14 more waiting to be finished this summer. It's been a nice mix of old and new, great and not-so-great machines.

Needless to say, I won't be picking up any "bargain" machines this spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
Rod: I was wondering how the reselling was doing this season. I just fix for family and friends, and I don't know any of the local resellers, but I do see the adds and I wonder how they did so far. We have had a low snow season as well.

Have your sale prices been down? or just the amount of sales in your area? just curious.

tx

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Paul, I've sold 10- 14 snowblowers each season since I retired four years ago so this was about average. Prior to retirement I'd refurb and resell just 2 or 3 each season.

I haven't decreased my prices this year. In fact, I've sold them for higher prices to recover more of my costs. In general my prices are slightly higher than comparable models on Craigslist and FB that have never been properly serviced. If I charged even minimum wage for my time, nobody could afford my snowblowers. That's okay because it's just a fun hobby, not a business so I don't count my time.

I suspect there will be a growing number of cheap bargains for sale this spring and summer because we haven't had a bad winter in 3 years. If those machines have been sitting around with old gas, you can bet frustrated owners will want them gone when they won't even start.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Paul, I've sold 10- 14 snowblowers each season since I retired four years ago so this was about average. Prior to retirement I'd refurb and resell just 2 or 3 each season.

I haven't decreased my prices this year. In fact, I've sold them for higher prices to recover more of my costs. In general my prices are slightly higher than comparable models on Craigslist and FB that have never been properly serviced. If I charged even minimum wage for my time, nobody could afford my snowblowers. That's okay because it's just a fun hobby, not a business so I don't count my time.

I suspect there will be a growing number of cheap bargains for sale this spring and summer because we haven't had a bad winter in 3 years. If those machines have been sitting around with old gas, you can bet frustrated owners will want them gone when they won't even start.
I agree that there will be some bargains this spring/summer. It's hard to turn down a good bargain but on the flip side the inventory will ramp up. My prices didn't go down even though winter has been almost non existent. Most of my sales are in Aug-Sept-Oct when people are anticipating the winter.

Last winter I sold out in February and could have sold 10 or more machines in march when we had some big storms. I was actually getting emails and messages from people asking if I had anything. this year just the opposite. have inventory but no snow.

BTW @rod330 you do excellent work looking at those pictures.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm throwing in the towel on this selling season. I can store 8-10 blowers in the off season so I am looking for deals until I reach my storage limit. I think I can get 2 more blowers then I'll be ready to go for next year.

I picked up a pair of toro blowers yesterday .

$150 for the 828lxe and $50 for the 621.

They both run well and just need a general maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's a very nice 1991 828 ( going by F/R knob ). To me it all depends on condition of augers and bottom of bucket.
It looked pretty good serrations still there and no rust on the bottom of the bucket from the pics

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
It looked pretty good serrations still there and no rust on the bottom of the bucket from the pics

looks like a keeper. i'd install a zerk in the right side gearbox and pump a bunch of grease in there . around here that machine would go for 1200-1500.

people like the electric start even though you really don't need one on a well tuned Honda.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
electric starts are still nice to have whether they are used or not. they help the machines value. i use to use my electric start all the time when my pull start was broken kind of like a backup.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
They are out there. Didnt you want a honda for fun ? I've been working on this guy if he would come down to $600 I'd buy but he is stuck at $700.
Yes, I saw that one....looks great but there's no money to be made at $750 around this area. Still, it would be great as a personal use machine. I'm still disappointed you missed out on that nice looking Yamaha. That thing must have sold within an hour of the posting.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes, I saw that one....looks great but there's no money to be made at $750 around this area. Still, it would be great as a personal use machine. I'm still disappointed you missed out on that nice looking Yamaha. That thing must have sold within an hour of the posting.
yea that was weird someone in the area must have been looking spicily for a yamaha and jumped on it quick.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
I'm about due for a good deal.

A snow removal business friend has commissioned me to do a custom Honda HS928 to color match his big snow removal machines. the price has been set so the profit depends on the machine I get.

so snowblower gods ........look down favorably on me please.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I put together a little photo album of the snowblowers I've sold this season along with the ones waiting for a buyer (most likely next fall-winter).
This is a great idea! Last year around this time, I told myself to not pick up any more snowblowers, but then I kept getting slapped in the face with free snowblowers and I could not resist.

I managed to get most of the free ones refurbished for resale but was able to sell only 3 of them (the sold ones are shown first). The rest will be drained of fuel in a week or two and will wait for next season.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
not sure if I posted this before.

got this Honda gx240 chassis/engine/bars only for next to nothing and pieced it together from 4-5 other parts machines. hopefully will sell for good money to make

up for all my other buy high-sell low machines ;);):)

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm throwing in the towel on this selling season. I can store 8-10 blowers in the off season so I am looking for deals until I reach my storage limit. I think I can get 2 more blowers then I'll be ready to go for next year.

I picked up a pair of toro blowers yesterday .

$150 for the 828lxe and $50 for the 621.

They both run well and just need a general maintenance.

tested out the 828 LXE today. the engine is running much better after a quick carb clean. went to take it out in 5-6" and nothing wouldn't throw once it hit the snow load the auger would quit turning.

after taking the belt cover off the belt was stretched. i moved the idler pulley one slot and adjusted the slack out of the auger cable and she throws like a beast now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very much enjoyed reading this thread. I sold a couple Arien's last winter as quick flips but ended up really enjoying it. I started purchasing spring deals a few weeks ago and am now sitting on 5 Ariens and a freebie Yard Machines.

I currently have my eye on an Ariens st824 package deal. Three of them for $250. One has broken bars but runs. One needs nothing and has a light and x-tires with chains and the third apparently won't start. I currently have two of them in my arsenal. Probably one of my favorite machines.

Any one else doing some buying?

321 - 340 of 351 Posts