Snowblower Forum banner

341 - 351 of 351 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Very much enjoyed reading this thread. I sold a couple Arien's last winter as quick flips but ended up really enjoying it. I started purchasing spring deals a few weeks ago and am now sitting on 5 Ariens and a freebie Yard Machines.

I currently have my eye on an Ariens st824 package deal. Three of them for $250. One has broken bars but runs. One needs nothing and has a light and x-tires with chains and the third apparently won't start. I currently have two of them in my arsenal. Probably one of my favorite machines.

Any one else doing some buying?
Where do you live where Ariens is popular? I have getting some deals lately and am working on several projects. Giving this Honda HS624 away for members of my FB group. It was given to me for the express purpose of giving it to a family in need. I serviced it and it's in nearly immaculate condition. probably worth about 700-1000 around here. maybe more in a storm lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where do you live where Ariens is popular? I have getting some deals lately and am working on several projects. Giving this Honda HS624 away for members of my FB group. It was given to me for the express purpose of giving it to a family in need. I serviced it and it's in nearly immaculate condition. probably worth about 700-1000 around here. maybe more in a storm lol.
Wow, that’s quite the freebie haha

I’m in the Northeast. Central NH. Ariens is the bread and butter up here. I see you guys talking about Honda but they are few and far between.

I also just picked up a blown up Deluxe 27 that I’m getting ready to tear apart and I just found a Deluxe 30 at the dump with an immaculate bucket. I just tore that engine down to find a broken pushrod and one bent push rod but no other damage. Does anyone know anything about those OHV Briggs engines? The 27 and 30 have the 250cc and the 305cc respectively and they’re both blown up. And it seems most of the Briggs on CL are as well. Hmmmmm?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
It's nice to be reminded that summer is no different than fall / winter.
Buyer: How old is your John Deere riding mower?
Me: About 25 years old. I've completely refurbished it to as good as new.
Buyer: Thanks but we're looking for something 1 or 2 years old
Me (to myself): For $900? I hope you know how to weld that cheap Home Depot garbage.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
ahahahaha i would tell them to check out prices at a dealer. i don't think there is any new machines under $1k i think most are close to $2k by the time you include taxes and even more if want a quality brand name like john deer. i know i have even been trying to keep an eye out for a machine for a friend and almost seems like anything under $500 needs work or is a tiny 30" machine.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
It's nice to be reminded that summer is no different than fall / winter.
Buyer: How old is your John Deere riding mower?
Me: About 25 years old. I've completely refurbished it to as good as new.
Buyer: Thanks but we're looking for something 1 or 2 years old
Me (to myself): For $900? I hope you know how to weld that cheap Home Depot garbage.
How true. People love the new stuff with all the bells and whistles. I try to tell them how cheap it is and the older stuff was built to last and sturdier. They don't listen.

And they probably wont mind buying a new snowblower in 5 years when their new one has had it . People are conditioned now to expect things not to last long and buy new,

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Very true. I generally avoid Cub Cadet and other MTD riding mowers but even they sell for about $500 if they start, stop and cut. Every year I generally refurbish 3 or 4 smaller John Deere lawn and garden tractors between 20 and 30 years old. I don't buy junky ones and you can find these for $400- $800. I only use genuine Deere parts which are getting outrageously expensive. Replacing an electric PTO clutch or even a couple of deck spindles means you'll be losing money. I price them to be gone in 2 or 3 days but you still have low ballers and dreamers. If this isn't worth $975, I give up. LT155.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Very true. I generally avoid Cub Cadet and other MTD riding mowers but even they sell for about $500 if they start, stop and cut. Every year I generally refurbish 3 or 4 smaller John Deere lawn and garden tractors between 20 and 30 years old. I don't buy junky ones and you can find these for $400- $800. I only use genuine Deere parts which are getting outrageously expensive. Replacing an electric PTO clutch or even a couple of deck spindles means you'll be losing money. I price them to be gone in 2 or 3 days but you still have low ballers and dreamers. If this isn't worth $975, I give up. View attachment 167703
usually dont list anything in June but this time I have and sold three units. august and september have been the best months when people are looking and getting prepared for winter.

otherwise , even in winter, it's only when the big storms happen that people look. I love what I do , finding deals and then completely refurbishing the. I like the hard cases better than the easy ones. This month found a real nice unit that just need a service and sold for a good profit. But it's more fun for me to find a rough blower that needs a complete dismantling and rebuild with new parts, some welding perhaps , and some ingenuity to make into a nice machine.As long as the engine has strong compression and the trannies work as they should I can make a nice machine.

This one was rebuilt from 4-5 different machines.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
@rod330

I only take cash but have people asking if i will take venmo or paypal. I say no. I did take paypal one time but had to pay a 3% fee . the buyer said I should not have had to pay that fee since it was a private party sale so I went round and round with PP to no avail.

Have heard stories that some people will use Venmo and then they will reverse the charges after taking possession of item.

I think I will stick with cash. A lady today said she didnt wanna use cash because of covid-19 but I stuck to my guns and they came back with cash. They wanted to use Venmo.

I still don't have a smart phone.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
@rod330
I only take cash but have people asking if i will take venmo or paypal. I say no.
Same here. I was asked about Venmo last week and PayPal's 3% fee is hefty. I'm always surprised how many people think I'll accept a check. ATMs are everywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Same here. I was asked about Venmo last week and PayPal's 3% fee is hefty. I'm always surprised how many people think I'll accept a check. ATMs are everywhere.
The people were irked that I wouldnt accept check and had to go to ATM which was 3 miles away. I just told them if cash was a deal breaker then ol well. They wanted me to take 50 dollars off for cash and I said sorry no. I put too much work into these machines.
I also told them I could get 100 more in sept-oct and thats the honest truth.

They came back with the cash about an hour later.

341 - 351 of 351 Posts