Snowblower Forum banner

441 - 460 of 515 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
My biggest issue now is space. I take machines apart and put parts in those big Costco bins. Don't have any more room. It's hard to keep things outside under tarps in winter when there is 3-4 feet of snow.
I don't know anything about them (quality, cost, etc.) but I noticed Mustie1 has a few of those tent-like sheds that seem like a decent alternative.....not sure how they'd hold up to the amount of snow you get but he's in New Hampshire.
In NE Ohio there are dozens and dozens of Amish businesses specializing in wood sheds and small barns. Morton and other companies also sell a lot of pole barns. Again, I've never investigated them but I'd assume they are price competitive....maybe just a midwest thing but almost everybody living on an acre or more has a barn or shed of some kind.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i got one of them car tents and it seems to do pretty decent. the biggest thing is to just brush the snow off once in a while and make sure it is anchored down and kept square. if you got space behind or beside your garage could always build a lean to storage area. this is a pic of the 1 my grandpa built for his boat to keep it out of the weather. luckily for him was able to just continue the steel roof off the existing garage. he use to just keep the boat inside the back garage till they moved there full time at which point it got pushed outside.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
I recently added a couple of new Milwaukee M12 tools on sale from HD- a cutoff wheel and a 3/8" stubby impact driver. They inspired me to clean the layers of oil, grease and anti-seize off some of the cordless tools I use the most for refurbishing snow blowers and garden tractors. I have other Milwaukee cordless tools for other tasks and every one of them has exceeded my expectations.
Milwaukee1.jpg Milwaukee2.jpg Milwaukee3.jpg Milwaukee4.jpg Milwaukee5.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
I recently added a couple of new Milwaukee M12 tools on sale from HD- a cutoff wheel and a 3/8" stubby impact driver. They inspired me to clean the layers of oil, grease and anti-seize off some of the cordless tools I use the most for refurbishing snow blowers and garden tractors. I have other Milwaukee cordless tools for other tasks and every one of them has exceeded my expectations.
View attachment 168854 View attachment 168855 View attachment 168856 View attachment 168857 View attachment 168858
i was thinking of waiting until christmas unless the prices are good now. i want a 3/8 ratchet and cut off wheel. but probably will get more......

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
i was thinking of waiting until christmas unless the prices are good now. i want a 3/8 ratchet and cut off wheel. but probably will get more......
If you subscribe to Home Depot's "daily specials" emails, they sometimes have great tool deals with free shipping. CPO Outlets on eBay is another good source for Milwaukee...at least a good way to compare pricing.

That M12 cutoff wheel is a little BEAST. I've already used it a few times and was shocked how well it performed.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
View attachment 168854 View attachment 168855 View attachment 168856 View attachment 168857 View attachment 168858
I bought the 3/8 ratchet set..............now see what you've done!!!!!!
next will be the cut off wheel.........it'll never end.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
If you subscribe to Home Depot's "daily specials" emails, they sometimes have great tool deals with free shipping. CPO Outlets on eBay is another good source for Milwaukee...at least a good way to compare pricing.

That M12 cutoff wheel is a little BEAST. I've already used it a few times and was shocked how well it performed.
do you also use air tools? I do a lot of grinding and prep work for painting and powder coating. right now I have a small air compressor for just blow cleaning but was thinking of going all the way with something big.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have a 33 gallon in my shop which does everything I need, as well as a 20 gallon up in my garage for my cars and bikes ... Just got a retractable hose reel for the shop,... should have done that years ago....

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #451 (Edited)
do you also use air tools? I do a lot of grinding and prep work for painting and powder coating. right now I have a small air compressor for just blow cleaning but was thinking of going all the way with something big.
I wish I had the skills to do painting and powder coating. I'm happy if I can make respectable rattle can touch ups.
Most of my air tools have been replaced by cordless Milwaukees so the compressors are typically used to fill up tires and blow out gunk. I still rely on an air hammer to punch an axle stuck to a rim.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i got a compressor with a 60 gallon tank. it has paid for itself many times over already. it runs pretty much any tool i use including a sandblaster. you don't need quite that large of a tank to run tools but it is nice so when i need to i can continuously run tools without having to stop and let the compressor catch up. it was also pretty cheap. it cost me $508 brand new plus another $100 or so to have it hooked up.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #455 (Edited)
Guys, what could you say about these models? 6 Best Two-Stage Snow Blowers Reviewed (Oct. 2020)
I'm looking for a blower around $500, and a friend shared this review saying there might be decent machines
You'll want to provide a little more information- amount of annual snowfall in your area, size of driveway, slope vs. flat, gravel or concrete, etc.
Generally speaking, a Toro or Honda single stage snowblower is fine if you're not frequently clobbered with big storms and have a small to medium sized area to clear. They are easier to stow in the garage but require a gas-oil mixture for 2-cycle engines.
As RIT333 said, forget about finding a great 2-stage snowblower for $500 unless you're willing to buy used. I believe Honda offers the very best machines but they are far beyond your budget. Ariens and Toro are excellent and more affordable but even Ariens' Compact and Deluxe models will be in the $1000- $1400 range. Personally, I think one of the very best values in Arien's lineup is the 24" Platinum 24 SHO at $1600.
If $500 is your budget, look for a nice used Ariens or Toro. I sell completely refurbished Ariens for less than 1/2 the price of a comparable new unit.
Don't wait around too long- it's a seller's market right now. I've sold more units in the past 6 weeks than I've sold in the past two years combined.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
back to resellers. almost my biggest month ever in September. could have sold more if I had them ready. It just seems people are looking for quality used machines instead of buying new.

People wanna be ready for winter and at the same time be careful with their dollars during these uncertain times. I won't have anything left by the time it snows. I guess I'll go back to repairs more to stay busy and keep in pizza and beer money ( and my new Milwaukee tool obsession thanks to @rod330 )

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
keep in pizza and beer money ( and my new Milwaukee tool obsession thanks to @rod330 )
There are lots of ways to waste money... fast women, fast cars, golf, etc. Pizza, beer and Milwaukee tools sound like a better investment to me :)

I've also been overwhelmed with sales. My giant pile of two stage machines is now down to 3 listed for sale and 5 more that are nearly finished. I need to spend a few minutes listing 4 single stage Toros but I expect they'll go even faster since they'll be cheap. I'm saving 3 ancient "project" machines and 2 garden tractors to play with during the middle of the winter. As mentioned above, I've sold more units in the past 6 weeks than I've sold in the past two years combined.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
the Milwaukee is nice except when you have batteries fail. almost cheaper to just replace the tool than buy new batteries. i have almost been tempted to try the rigid stuff just for the lifetime warranty. as long as you get a nicer tools with brushless motors they should likely last better than the brushed stuff.

those toro's should sell quick. i sold one not that long ago and it sold for $150 and had it gone in less than 24 hours. could have probably got more for it but i was really just wanting it gone and the space back. the guy even drove 2 hours each way to get it on top of paying my full asking price. that is how you can tell you got something listed cheap lol.

i only got 1 maybe 2 snowblower left to fix up and sell. sold one the other day which was nice. really don't have space to store any more machines for the time being.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
There are lots of ways to waste money... fast women, fast cars, golf, etc. Pizza, beer and Milwaukee tools sound like a better investment to me :)

I've also been overwhelmed with sales. My giant pile of two stage machines is now down to 3 listed for sale and 5 more that are nearly finished. I need to spend a few minutes listing 4 single stage Toros but I expect they'll go even faster since they'll be cheap. I'm saving 3 ancient "project" machines and 2 garden tractors to play with during the middle of the winter. As mentioned above, I've sold more units in the past 6 weeks than I've sold in the past two years combined.
I kinda miss Bart....he would be bashing us resellers...maybe too much like dealers......nope, but i miss him anyway. he made me laugh as he was an expert on everything, he told us so.

441 - 460 of 515 Posts