Snowblower Forum banner

461 - 480 of 515 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
The last couple months I have had 3 instances where people insisted I just deliver the blower sight unseen and they will pay me upon delivery.

Must be a new sort of scam? I politely tell them to come view the snowblower. If it checks out okay , pay me the cash, and then I will deliver. I don't hear from them again. Or they reply that they can't understand why i just wont deliever and get COD.

The thing is I request a phone number to weed out the scammers and they do. I then cross check the number and their email name shows up and an address. The address checks out as real. the person checks out as real. Usually a professional like a doctor, real estate broker or long time resident.

So , I wonder what is going on? In each case the people live within 10 miles. Is their lives so complicated that they can't use 30 minutes to come view? In each case they say they know my snowblowers are good, the ads give them all the info they need and just want it delivered.

My radar says these people are legit. I'm usually pretty good at smelling out a scammer.Believe me I have had some real strange deals presented.

Well anyway , I'm sticking to my guns.My blowers sell pretty easily and I'd rather set my own rules on who I am going to sell to.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
most of the time i would usually not deliver. i would possibly consider it if they show up and ask but never agree to over messenger and i would only deliver in town. most of the time the city people 30-60 minutes away want me to deliver or meet part way but there is no way i would agree to that. i can live with maybe loosing $5 delivering in town but no way i am going to waste $20 or so on fuel for someone that may or not just be wasting time.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My last 4 blowers I sold in just over a week ... one was a neighbor, just walked that one over, and the other 3 were picked up.

I would never deliver a unit on my trailer to a location on a hope and a prayer. If I had cash in hand for the sale prior, I would give a free local, or charge for any distance delivery.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
one guy said he would PP me $100 to bring the blower about 60 miles and I could keep it if he decided he did not want the blower...........I can't make that up.

I said "No thanks" and was wondering what planet he lived on "The Rich and Famous?" and I was his peon delivery boy?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
I've had just two cases in the past year when buyers wanted to pay upon delivery without seeing the item. First, I had a pristine Ingersoll garden tractor advertised for $2,100. Despite my better judgment, I drove nearly an hour and discovered the guy had a barn full of Ingersoll tractors. He wanted to test it out which is not unreasonable. However, after 20 minutes watching him mow his weed infested lawn I said "ENOUGH". He rather begrudgingly paid the full price in ten, five and one dollar bills. Over the phone he promised to pay a $50 delivery fee (his number, not mine) but somehow just couldn't "find" enough cash. My delivery fee turned out to be six dirty, crumpled one dollar bills. Lesson learned.
In late August a guy wanted an Ariens Compact 24" delivered about 20 minutes away. He said he lived 90 minutes away and was buying it for his son. He promised to meet me at his son's house and pay for it. I could see myself waiting an hour in the son's driveway because dad was "caught in traffic". I told him to come to my shop, inspect the machine, pay for it and I'd gladly deliver....he refused so I declined. I think he messaged me 3 or 4 times saying he didn't understand why I wouldn't take his money.
I think Amazon and other online retailers have set the expectation that anything can be deposited on your doorstep within 24 hours without getting off the couch. Sorry, I'm not Amazon. Cash only at my shop and then we'll discuss delivery.
By the way, I think offering local delivery really helped boost my sales this season. I'd rather spend a few minutes loading and unloading a snowblower in my truck than spending an hour trying to cram one into a buyer's little SUV.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
I've had just two cases in the past year when buyers wanted to pay upon delivery without seeing the item. First, I had a pristine Ingersoll garden tractor advertised for $2,100. Despite my better judgment, I drove nearly an hour and discovered the guy had a barn full of Ingersoll tractors. He wanted to test it out which is not unreasonable. However, after 20 minutes watching him mow his weed infested lawn I said "ENOUGH". He rather begrudgingly paid the full price in ten, five and one dollar bills. Over the phone he promised to pay a $50 delivery fee (his number, not mine) but somehow just couldn't "find" enough cash. My delivery fee turned out to be six dirty, crumpled one dollar bills. Lesson learned.
In late August a guy wanted an Ariens Compact 24" delivered about 20 minutes away. He said he lived 90 minutes away and was buying it for his son. He promised to meet me at his son's house and pay for it. I could see myself waiting an hour in the son's driveway because dad was "caught in traffic". I told him to come to my shop, inspect the machine, pay for it and I'd gladly deliver....he refused so I declined. I think he messaged me 3 or 4 times saying he didn't understand why I wouldn't take his money.
I think Amazon and other online retailers have set the expectation that anything can be deposited on your doorstep within 24 hours without getting off the couch. Sorry, I'm not Amazon. Cash only at my shop and then we'll discuss delivery.
By the way, I think offering local delivery really helped boost my sales this season. I'd rather spend a few minutes loading and unloading a snowblower in my truck than spending an hour trying to cram one into a buyer's little SUV.
glad I'm not the only one this happens to. Have also had people very upset that I won't deliver sight unseen . One guy was only 5 miles away. I told him all he had to do was drive 5 miles, inspect machine, pay for it and I'd gladly deliver it. He wouldn't. His loss. It made me happy to sell it the next day to a very nice young couple and then I emailed the other guy ( because he was still wondering why I wouldnt bring it over to him ) and told him it sold.

I also deliver and it def helps sales cause most don't have a truck or have a trailer or have a friend with truck or trailer. Free within my town.

Most people I deal with are VERY nice. It's just the rest that I can't stand dealing with. The first person I can get to come and look at it usually buys 9 times out of 10. I can't stand back and forth emails with the person asking questions. I've learned they are just fishing or looking for a deal and then will low ball you.

I specifically state in my ads that I will gladly answer all questions in person. Cuts down on responses but the ones that do are more serious. The older I get the less patience I have with people.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
I've had a few of buyers express interest in a particular snowblower but then start to overanalyze things when they see 4 or 5 others I also have for sale. Too many choices, I suppose. I've intentionally tried to keep a mix of low, medium and higher priced snow blowers ready to go so there's something for every budget. I cut them off immediately if they ask about ones I haven't finished and redirect them to the current "for sale" group. I can't remember the last time somebody showed up and didn't eventually buy one. My last sale was to a fellow who came to see my least expensive unit and ended up buying my most expensive unit the next day. That had nothing to do with my salesmanship; he just realized that spending a little bit more money would get a much more heavy duty machine.

Most people I deal with are VERY nice.
Yep, same here- one of the best parts about doing this goofy snow blower thing is meeting some great people.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i wouldn't be against delivering but ideally i would usually like them to show up first and make sure it i what they want and what they expect especially if they are local. i would probably deliver within about 10 minutes drive of my house for free. anything farther would have to be discussed and would need non refundable deposit before i leave my driveway with the machine in my vehicle. i don't advertise delivery tho since i live 30 minutes from a city that is full of idiots that would want me to deliver and i call it a $20-$30 drive depending on which vehicle i drive.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
I've had a few of buyers express interest in a particular snowblower but then start to overanalyze things when they see 4 or 5 others I also have for sale. Too many choices, I suppose. I've intentionally tried to keep a mix of low, medium and higher priced snow blowers ready to go so there's something for every budget. I cut them off immediately if they ask about ones I haven't finished and redirect them to the current "for sale" group. I can't remember the last time somebody showed up and didn't eventually buy one. My last sale was to a fellow who came to see my least expensive unit and ended up buying my most expensive unit the next day. That had nothing to do with my salesmanship; he just realized that spending a little bit more money would get a much more heavy duty machine.

Yep, same here- one of the best parts about doing this goofy snow blower thing is meeting some great people.
It seems to me that people who come to the garage and see the other blowers and start asking about them usually don't buy any. It's confusing to them. I get a LOT of people who are new to snowblowers and it's just too much info to take in at a time.

I now usually say it's this machine and nothing else is available to make things simpler for them. Of course I ask questions about their needs like what size area, decks or driveways , etc to make sure they are looking at the right blower. If they really need something bigger or smaller I will tell them so and then point them to the right machine.

I never sell for the sake of selling . I really want them to get the right machine. If they are hesistant because the machine is used and if they appear to have the budget for them , I will encourage that they buy a NEW Honda even if it's $3000 so they can get a 3 year warranty and peace of mind. People appreciate that.

Lately most of my sales are not even advertised. Word of mouth or people will buy a 928 from me and then come back and buy a deck blower or a 724 for a big deck. Right now I have a list of 3-4 people who want a 624-724 when I have one available. I tell them they can find a better deal on one themselves and bring it to me for service but they would actually want to pay twice as much for one of mine cause they say they don't know what to look for and would rather pay more for one of mine where all the work has been done.

That is pretty satisfying that people trust me in that regard.

·
Registered
779 Posts
So what is up with facebook marketplace I put 3 adds to sell snow blowers today and they hardly have any views

Do you have to pay for the boost now to get any views?

I have been busy with twins and haven't sold anything in a while. I used to get hundreds of views under a standard add but now that seems like it wont happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
could depend on the machines or price. i never really looks at views on the items i have listed. things either get a ton of interest or very little. i think price sometimes effect this. also do you have them listed in the right category?

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
So what is up with facebook marketplace I put 3 adds to sell snow blowers today and they hardly have any views

Do you have to pay for the boost now to get any views?

I have been busy with twins and haven't sold anything in a while. I used to get hundreds of views under a standard add but now that seems like it wont happen.

Must be a regional thing. I rarely sell on FB. too many lowballers and tire kickers. most sales come from Craigslist with very detailed ad and lots of pictures. sold 2 more today. record summer/fall and it hasnt even started snowing. won't have anything left for snow time

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
Snowbelt_subie, take a look at post #373
Here's a little heads up if you're posting items for sale on Facebook Marketplace.
First, if your listing isn't getting many views, delete it and repost. I have found a few of my ads have somehow been "stuck" in FB. An easy way to test this is to browse ads using one or two words from your listing title in a search. If you don't see your own ad, it's not showing up for anybody else either.

Secondly, FB is now using some asinine computer algorithm to ensure you're not violating their rules. For example, I've learned after considerable trial and error that the following keywords automatically trigger a "violation of our policy against selling animals".
  • Shell Rotella
  • NGK
  • referring to a snowblower as a "beast"
Yep, you just can't make this kind of nonsense up.

·
Super Moderator
toro 928 ohxe 38801,
446 Posts
same on Craig's list no views delete and repost , just change the wording a bit, when i sold my old cub LT in july first round nada second sold in a few hours with different photos and wording

·
Registered
779 Posts
Snowbelt_subie, take a look at post #373
Thanks I'm out of the loop here lol

I reposted this morning. One had 3 views one had 6 and one had 38.

It's pretty sad when offer up gets more views than fb marketplace I used to get 1,000s on some items I was selling.

Reactions: rod330

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
good info on ads.

from now on my ads will say.

Honda snowblower for sale
That's it.
$

even if you price it wrong on FB you get an error message.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #478
I saw this local advertisement for a Craftsman snow blower for $300. I'm going to raise my prices tomorrow :D

"The only issue is that the tires are screwed into the rims to avoid the tires from slipping in the rims. The screws can be removed and new tubes installed as you can see in the last picture. (I have the two new tubes to be included)."
tire.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
hahaha.

you should raise your prices because you have quality machines and all the necessary work has been done so the machine is ready to work. who else does that anymore??? Hardly anyone.

I mention this in my ads and it works because I ask the buyers why they bought my machine when there are similar machines for hundreds less. They always say " you say all the work has been done " . it's a good selling point.

most owners will not spend $100-200 or more servicing/repair a machine before selling . I can not believe some of the junk out there and their prices but they do sell. Sometimes the new owner brings the machine to me and have to spend several hundred to bring it in good working order. I try to make them feel better by saying well now you have a machine that will work well and will only need to be serviced every couple years.

also when I sell a blower I also give the new owner the owners manual. I have to buy them on Ebay but I think it's worth it since it causes less problems down the road ( if they will read it )

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I've had some items that weren't moving. So I deleted the ad and re listed at a higher price and then sold. Facebook seems to manipulate exposure of ads. I won't get hardley any views and then all of a sudden in one day, I get slammed with inquires.

461 - 480 of 515 Posts