Snowblower Forum banner

481 - 500 of 515 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
I've had some items that weren't moving. So I deleted the ad and re listed at a higher price and then sold. Facebook seems to manipulate exposure of ads. I won't get hardley any views and then all of a sudden in one day, I get slammed with inquires.
Interesting....I've noticed the exact same thing. I wish I had done a better job of keeping track of my buyers but I feel as if 80% come from Craigslist. FB's messenger results in a lot of time wasters.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i don't think craigs list is any better or worse than facebook. i find you get the time wasters no matter where you advertise. i had instances where on kijiji where i arranged with someone to buy something and not show up or have people randomly show up a day or 2 later after i moved onto selling to the next guy in line. yes you get some of the same idiots on facebook but i really don't feel like 1 is better than the other to deal with. as far as the views things go i have no clue how that works. when i list something on marketplace i also post it to the same 7 local buy and sell groups. heck i have sold quite a few things through facebook lately for full asking price. i am either not asking enough maybe it is just dumb luck. heck almost seems like i have gotten more stupid questions/responses through kijiji lately than through facebook.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
i don't think craigs list is any better or worse than facebook. i find you get the time wasters no matter where you advertise. i had instances where on kijiji where i arranged with someone to buy something and not show up or have people randomly show up a day or 2 later after i moved onto selling to the next guy in line. yes you get some of the same idiots on facebook but i really don't feel like 1 is better than the other to deal with. as far as the views things go i have no clue how that works. when i list something on marketplace i also post it to the same 7 local buy and sell groups. heck i have sold quite a few things through facebook lately for full asking price. i am either not asking enough maybe it is just dumb luck. heck almost seems like i have gotten more stupid questions/responses through kijiji lately than through facebook.
agree. I qualify people on Craigslist asking for phone number. Then check number on reverse directory. cuts down responses but also cuts down time wasters. no shows etc.
Also , I have never sold so many blowers at full asking price as this year. People not even asking and if they do I just say Ihaveother people interested ( which is true )

I just think this is because people are just watching their money more and don't want to spend double or more for brand new.

agree with @rod. most of my sales come from craigslist. at least 80% or more. FB responses are mostly lowballers , no shows , and "is this still available" and never hear from them again. A yard sale mentality.

When my sale price is $1500 and people respond with a $500 offer , sight unseen , I feel like responding Okay and then giving them a phony address 30 miles away. ( I havent done this )

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yea I'm not sure what's going on with FB I've deleted and reposted the adds a couple times.

They are only getting 50-100 views over 3 days or so. I used to get 500-1000 views.

Offer up app add has 3 times the views the FB adds do, it doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Offer up app add has 3 times the views the FB adds do, it doesn't make any sense.
i find apps like that come and go a lot. remember letgo? i don't know where you live but it is no longer available here. am guessing they started loosing money from not enough people using the apps and viewing their ads. ones like kijiji, craigs list and facebook are the only ones that seem to stick around and survive. they are not just some passing fad

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
I think the other thing happening with FB marketplace are the constant changes. Their screens and options have changed frequently over the last six months so I'm betting their code developers are be constantly tweaking their databases.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
ya even the other day when i posted something it took a couple minutes for it to go through the Facebook filters or whatever and go live. definitely seem like they are always changing things.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i find apps like that come and go a lot. remember letgo? i don't know where you live but it is no longer available here. am guessing they started loosing money from not enough people using the apps and viewing their ads. ones like kijiji, craigs list and facebook are the only ones that seem to stick around and survive. they are not just some passing fad
Let go joined with offer up Into one. It's not bad I've sold a lot of things on offer up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
the snow hasnt even started and I only have one machine left. have 4-5 in the works but i don't like to rush. takes the fun out of it.
this is the only one left. I get a lot of crap over it. haha. was gonna keep it but already have a couple other 80's.

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
orang: I do like that Patriots model, and I always admired Bilichek and Brady (we'll see this year how each does without the other). I am glad you have been able to sell some machines, and I understand not having to rush thru the work.

Around here snowblowers are starting to sell (I am not a re-seller, much more of a tinkerer, and occasional seller). I have picked up a few older (more mature ??) machines to mess with for the next month or 2.

tx

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
my neighbor came over asking if I would service his Honda again. I did it free a couple years ago . I did 3 other neighbors' free to keep the peace. with my music and grinding, sanding , other shop noises that it was prudent to keep people happy.

I told him the first service was free as a neighbor courtesy but I told him I would have to charge him this time my regular rate. same as dealer but dealer is now 2 months out.

He acted surprised and maybe a little taken back. Offered me some Omaha steaks but I said no.

Am I wrong to ask for money from now on? I have done several emergency repairs for this guy over the last 2-3 winters. Free shear pins, adjustments and other things for no charge.

Now, feel like i am being taking advantage of. The other neighbors I did services for are cool. rarely bother me and then if they wanted an inspection or service they offer to pay.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
Am I wrong to ask for money from now on? I have done several emergency repairs for this guy over the last 2-3 winters. Free shear pins, adjustments and other things for no charge.
While I believe in helping my neighbors out, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for money when you're performing a speciality service like small engine repair. After all, your time, tools and skills could be used to earn money refurbishing and selling another snowblower.
We're blessed to have great neighbors. One neighbor sometimes annoys me by frequently borrowing tools. My father always told me to never borrow anything. He said you should just buy it yourself or make do without if you can't afford it. I've followed that principle.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
You have every right to charge for your services, and your neighbour should not be surprised nor offended. Your gut will tell you what is right and justified. Every neighbour does not need to be treated the same way, some are deserving of special favours, others not so much.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
You have every right to charge for your services, and your neighbour should not be surprised nor offended. Your gut will tell you what is right and justified. Every neighbour does not need to be treated the same way, some are deserving of special favours, others not so much.
I'm thinking of charging him a lot so he wont bother me anymore. I really cant be that mean but at least I can fantasize about that.

You're right about some neighbors. Some are a joy to help. They are friends and not users.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What's going on with prices this year? I've bought only half of what I could normally repair because prices are so high. In general, asking price has been twice normal price during the last 6 months or more. Is Denver an isolated case? Should I double my selling prices?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
I've noticed the same thing but haven't boosted my prices. After starting this thread last year I raised my prices a wee bit based on excellent feedback I received from other members. To that end, my prices are now comparable to similar machines that have never been serviced. They're just advertised as "used a few times". I'm not looking to make much money at all- just want to cover my costs and move them out when finished.
This year? I'll post something on Monday, get swamped with inquires and it's gone in 3- 5 days with no negotiation from buyers. As of now I have just one posted but will list two tomorrow and have just two left to refurbish this season. I never expected to sell so many, especially before the first snowfall.

In the meantime, I randomly monitor other snowblowers for sale but I'm certainly not buying anything. This one made me laugh out loud tonight. Part of the seller's description reads: everything works as it should, No longer have the need for it, Has electric start on it.
Yep, that electric start is going to come in real handy :LOL:
Ariens10.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
What's going on with prices this year? I've bought only half of what I could normally repair because prices are so high. In general, asking price has been twice normal price during the last 6 months or more. Is Denver an isolated case? Should I double my selling prices?
Its been an unusual year (covid ) and used blowers are much preferred over new. people are being more careful with money. Last night sold another blower to first person for full asking price. listed day before had a bunch of replies.

cant keep anything in stock. didnt sell a single blower between january and june. then all heck broke loose. once it starts snowing its gonna be nuts........and i wont have anything left.

guess will go back to repairing to help people keep what they have going.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
I've noticed the same thing but haven't boosted my prices. After starting this thread last year I raised my prices a wee bit based on excellent feedback I received from other members. To that end, my prices are now comparable to similar machines that have never been serviced. They're just advertised as "used a few times". I'm not looking to make much money at all- just want to cover my costs and move them out when finished.
This year? I'll post something on Monday, get swamped with inquires and it's gone in 3- 5 days with no negotiation from buyers. As of now I have just one posted but will list two tomorrow and have just two left to refurbish this season. I never expected to sell so many, especially before the first snowfall.

In the meantime, I randomly monitor other snowblowers for sale but I'm certainly not buying anything. This one made me laugh out loud tonight. Part of the seller's description reads: everything works as it should, No longer have the need for it, Has electric start on it.
Yep, that electric start is going to come in real handy :LOL: View attachment 169459
maybe a dumb question but how do you repair that recoil? drill out the rivets?

481 - 500 of 515 Posts