Snowblower Forum banner
581 - 600 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
i have a feeling there is a reason they have not been snapped up. i would guess it probably has something to do with them being old or od. is that 1 powered by a vertical shaft engine or am i missing something? the one with the vertical shaft engine looks like it is at least the newest out of all of those machines. might be worth getting the model numbers and see what parts availability is like. i think someone was on here not too long ago looking for a carb for a machine like that and they are not very common or easy to find which could result in it being expensive when you do find one if it needs one.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
Burned out myself. Had the best year ever, selling equipment. But dealing with the nut jobs have just burned me out. Taking a break from dealing with people.
boy am I glad you posted this. now i feel like i am not the only one. I do the same. take breaks until i feel like doing it again.

right now the sellers market is so hot i am turning down full cash offers for my Hondas'. The buyer has to have an old Honda trade in for partial credit plus cash. Have done this about 6-7 times in the last 2 seasons. Just about the only way I can stay busy with affordable projects. I prefer broken machines. Blown engines or right side gearboxes that are bad. Most people want retail trade in value for a good Honda.......wut???????

I mean really .....why would I do that.? I tell them to sell it for that price if they think they can get it for a machine that hasnt been serviced in 7-10 years.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Looks like a great deal to grab all 3. The buckets do look a little low in height. It appears the one with wheels has an extension. What kind of HP do they have?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I am seeing a lot of good macines out there in the 200 to 300 dollar range in my area. It is just one of those years. We have not had much snow untill this past week. If it keeps up that inventory may dry up.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I don't see how you could go wrong at $600.00 for 3 Yammies especially when 2 of them run.
I wonder what the back story is on them? I understand they are not that common in the USA, and parts can be hard to find.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I think these people are so used to Amazon Prime and Uber Eats culture that they think that everyone else is running around catering to their needs so they have more time shopping online buying more stuff.
But dealing with the nut jobs have just burned me out.
Not snowblower related, but whackadoodle related... I own a photo imaging and computer repair business. Right before Christmas, we received an online order for prints that we made that day and then called and left a message for the customer. We called every two weeks and left more messages. Finally reached the customer on Friday:
She: I don't want those prints any more - I want to cancel the order.​
Me: The prints were produced the day you ordered them.​
She: Well, I don't want them, please cancel.​
Me: It's way too late to cancel them, you should just come and pick them up (she's about 18 miles away).​
She: It's too far to go, I wanted them printed in your Yarmouth store.​
Me: We don't have a store there, only this one.​
She: Well, just throw them away.​
Me: Well, you ordered them, so you should come pick them up and pay for them.​
She: I'll just mail you the money.​

Not holding my breath...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I don't see how you could go wrong at $600.00 for 3 Yammies especially when 2 of them run.
I wonder what the back story is on them? I understand they are not that common in the USA, and parts can be hard to find.
they could always need $1000's in parts and being super un common could also mean there is not many people looking for parts so even if you had to part them out they would be slow to get your money back. also depends on how much snow you get and what brands sell around you. the fact that they have been for sale on the market for at least 2 weeks and not sold for $300 each or $600 for all 3 likely means they are not popular in that area or no one is willing to take the risk. i really can't blame them. $600 is a big dent towards buying a nice machine or resto modding or restoring a old machine to use.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
they could always need $1000's in parts and being super un common could also mean there is not many people looking for parts so even if you had to part them out they would be slow to get your money back. also depends on how much snow you get and what brands sell around you. the fact that they have been for sale on the market for at least 2 weeks and not sold for $300 each or $600 for all 3 likely means they are not popular in that area or no one is willing to take the risk. i really can't blame them. $600 is a big dent towards buying a nice machine or resto modding or restoring a old machine to use.

Some valid points, however, for someone who has the skills and enjoys tinkering and repairing machines, I think they are a good buy (may even get all 3 for $500.00).

Just my humble opinion.

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. :cool:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 ·
Snowbelt_subie, the last time I saw a Yamaha around these parts was the one I messaged you about last year. They're almost too good to pass up! Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
Not snowblower related, but whackadoodle related... I own a photo imaging and computer repair business. Right before Christmas, we received an online order for prints that we made that day and then called and left a message for the customer. We called every two weeks and left more messages. Finally reached the customer on Friday:
She: I don't want those prints any more - I want to cancel the order.​
Me: The prints were produced the day you ordered them.​
She: Well, I don't want them, please cancel.​
Me: It's way too late to cancel them, you should just come and pick them up (she's about 18 miles away).​
She: It's too far to go, I wanted them printed in your Yarmouth store.​
Me: We don't have a store there, only this one.​
She: Well, just throw them away.​
Me: Well, you ordered them, so you should come pick them up and pay for them.​
She: I'll just mail you the money.​

Not holding my breath...
you wanna a whackadoodle story. had a lady and her boyfriend ( looked like meth heads ) come over to look at one of my Honda's. spent about 30 minutes or so explaining all the work done , demonstrated its use etc .

at the end of my hall of fame pitch the lady says "we'll take it "

GREAT! I waited for the $1800 cash ..she looked at me like "What"

I said $1800 please before I load it into your truck.

she says " I THOUGHT THIS WAY FREE!!!!!"

no. $1800. she huffs off screaming I dont know what.

later that day I get a message from someone saying this idiot is posting all over social media that I am stealing used blowers from the dealership and then selling them.....

I messaged her and told her I would contact my attorney in the morning unless she deleted all her posts.

she deleted them.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Curious if there are any flippes in the twincities area ?? I see a lot of east cost and a Michigan or two but haven't come across anyone in the Mpls/St.Paul area.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
Since I sold everything aside from my personal Ariens last year, I've been browsing FB and CL for some spring deals....nothing so far but it's still early into the buying season. I'm aiming very low this year, maybe just 2- 3 good Ariens two-stage flips.

The used market for lawn and garden equipment has been bone dry for months in NE Ohio. I recently sold two very nice Stihl chainsaws for almost the same price I paid for them 10 years ago....and had buyers fighting over them.

I did snag a John Deere GT245 garden tractor this weekend only because I saw the ad when it posted, the seller had a moving truck in the driveway and I was 10 minutes away.

·
Registered
158 Posts
“The used market for lawn and garden equipment has been bone dry for months in NE Ohio. I recently sold two very nice Stihl chainsaws for almost the same price I paid for them 10 years ago....and had buyers fighting over them.”

I am in lower Michigan and it is the same here. It seems like many things are in short supply. Examples:

3 years ago I bought a used Craftsman Lawn Tractor for $180. I cleaned it up (painted the deck) and gave it to my son as a gift. This spring he bought a new JD so I sold it for him. I listed it for $525 and had 9 different inquires in the first 4 hours on craigslist. I Sold it to the first person that looked at it. I did my research and there were not many lawn tractors list.

I just flipped two lawn mowers and they sold in the first two days they were listed with multiple contacts on each. Again, not many out there on CL.

My son was looking for a newer (used) SUV (Volvo). Took him a while to find one and had to have it shipped from 6 states away.

I am looking for a used small “fun” American sports car (midlife crises). I have been looking in a 4 state radius and there is not much at all.

Thank you COVID…

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
We dont have a ton of lawn equipment needs around here in the mountains and if we did people just go out and buy new. The used market is either free or very low. I could fill a semi with free lawnmowers and bring them to you if I could have some blowers in exchange.

ha, also been looking for an old car to restore. prices are thru the roof . I think due to all the car shows on Tv like Counting cars, Rust Restorers and all the rest. Plus Reno has 2 major car events every year; Cool April Nights and Hot August Nights.

People even think the most mundane 60's cars are worth their weight in gold.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·
Well, I thought it was time to pop up like that groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil, and predict the winter reseller season in my area. Nothing has changed, it stinks. I haven't found a single prospect to refurbish and resell in a full year. The few blowers listed for sale in my area are grossly overpriced and seem to disappear quickly. Even rusty, el-cheapo models are priced way too high. At least I have the time to maintain our personal lawn and garden equipment!

It looks like orangputeh is staying very busy -- how about the other resellers in your area?

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
Well, I thought it was time to pop up like that groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil, and predict the winter reseller season in my area. Nothing has changed, it stinks. I haven't found a single prospect to refurbish and resell in a full year. The few blowers listed for sale in my area are grossly overpriced and seem to disappear quickly. Even rusty, el-cheapo models are priced way too high. At least I have the time to maintain our personal lawn and garden equipment!

It looks like orangputeh is staying very busy -- how about the other resellers in your area?
Sorry to hear about lack of projects. The only reason I am staying busy is because i ask for trade ins. Otherwise i wouldnt be able to find anything also.
Today sold a 928 for cash plus a 928 trade in that has a bad hydro and the right side tranny just needs a service.

Luckily I have a couple spare hydros in stock to switch it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 6 two stages and one single stage ready to go. I also have a John Deere 828D that needs to be finished and two 824 Toro’s that I need to dive into to see if I can make two good machines out of or just one.

I buy all my machines in the spring. Lucked out this year and got a huge package deal of 8 blowers for cheap money and all but one of them were salvageable.

Missed out on a few good deals throughout the summer due to health problems so I was unable to pick them up. My goal for next spring is to find a decent 5x8 or 5x10 utility trailer so I can collect and carry more blowers.

Also, does anyone happen to know of a good website to look up John Deere parts?

581 - 600 of 610 Posts