Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the threads about flippers and gougers I was wondering about the members here that buy snow blowers and then resell for top dollar.

what really works? I'm sure it is a combination of things but what is the main thing that you have learned from experience?

is appearance super important? is your reputation the main selling point? do you document all the work and costs involved before reselling and inform the buyer?

what is the turning point in turning a potential customer into a buyer?

I figure if that the first or second person who looks at it , buys it, you must be very good at reselling blowers.

so what works for you.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
i make sure anything i sell is working 100% unless i sell it as is, i like to use a flap disc and paint any heavily rusted areas because appearance is just as important as functionality in a buyers eyes. i always make sure im honest with people and give them a thorough tutorial in use and care. thats about it

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If you make all things fair (such as if all snow blowers where is equal condition) I find to sell it's all in presentation. Take good pics and make sure the blower is the center of attention in the pic. If there is your blower in a shed with all kinds of other equipment around it or in a row of other blowers, There attention will NOT be on what your trying to sell. Keep everything else out of the photo, Make it look good and the center of attention. So far this year I had no trouble getting what I wanted for them and there were others out there similar and the buyers all have said they seen the AD and wanted the blower.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
For top dollar I clean and paint if needed. Take pics of new parts. Also the obvious make sure its running and operating top notch with no mechanical flaws. Also throw in free goods. I ordered a 50 pairs of grips cleats online. Talked to seller on eBay came out to $4 USD a pair. People love getting a deal. Every machine sold for asking price and had a guy tip me. I sold every machine to to first person looking and had people send friends and family to come pick out a machine. I only posted about 6 machines online and the rest all through referral from those who just purchased. Had people say hold this one for my (blank) Ill send them right over. All between December 22 to January 3rd. Total of 26 machines. The extra cleats made for nice xmas gifts for neighbors, mailman etc.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For top dollar I clean and paint if needed. Take pics of new parts. Also the obvious make sure its running and operating top notch with no mechanical flaws. Also throw in free goods. I ordered a 50 pairs of grips cleats online. Talked to seller on eBay came out to $4 USD a pair. People love getting a deal. Every machine sold for asking price and had a guy tip me. I sold every machine to to first person looking and had people send friends and family to come pick out a machine. I only posted about 6 machines online and the rest all through referral from those who just purchased. Had people say hold this one for my (blank) Ill send them right over. All between December 22 to January 3rd. Total of 26 machines. The extra cleats made for nice xmas gifts for neighbors, mailman etc.
what do you mean by grip cleats? Giving them something free for giving asking price sounds smart. plus word of mouth.

·
Registered
579 Posts
..., I believe buyers have a responsibility to educate themselves. One should know the estimated value of what one is trying to buy. Then factor in condition, previous owner(s) age of the machine and maintenance history - these factors should be used to negotiate cost. I certainly believe the seller, has a responsibility to be honest but also sell a machine at a profit - after repairing it. Profit includes diagnosis, parts, repair/labor. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Ice snow cleats like these. Ive done the same other years with thinks like salt , nice gloves one year from LL Bean on sale in the summer for 3 bucks a pair.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
orangputah, The other side of the coin if I'm looking. Any over spray and I'm out, won't even consider it, especially bolts and bearings painted over. I see JD garden tractors all the time in the summer around me with the slightly yellow tires, green paint on the black frame, deck stickers painted over. I'd rather see original condition and clear oil on the dipstick than any 2 hour spray bomb.
I hear you JT. But most people buy the sizzle and not the steak. They like "pretty". I'm like you. I see a quick rattle can job and keep on going. If I'm buying something the oil has to be clean and full. Clean filters, etc.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm with Dauntae....the ad has to have a fairly clean machine, by itself in the shop or driveway..with pictures from all angles. I make sure the rust is touched up or in the case of real bad, completely disassembled and stripped and repainted.I also change oil and plug ( if needed), check and replace belts if needed, skids and scraper bar, clean or replace carb, and service and adjust transmission. I won't offer a machine for sale if it is needing any thing at all. That said....no one calls unless it is snowing!

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ice snow cleats like these. Ive done the same other years with thinks like salt , nice gloves one year from LL Bean on sale in the summer for 3 bucks a pair.
ok thanks. i spoke to a 30 year small engine shop owner the other day that does this. he basically told me that "People Love FREE."

it's amazing. they may spend a $1000 or more on a used blower but what sells them is $5 worth of shear pins and an owners manual.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
ok thanks. i spoke to a 30 year small engine shop owner the other day that does this. he basically told me that "People Love FREE."

it's amazing. they may spend a $1000 or more on a used blower but what sells them is $5 worth of shear pins and an owners manual.
OH I forgot about the owners manual LOL Got me a laser printer that prints both sides and a binding machine, They DO like the paper too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What works for me is make it 100% working nothing wrong and start on the 1st pull. If it runs perfect the 1st person usually buys it.

I don't do paint work it's not worth my time and effort and I don't buy rusted machines to resell. Most of the time these spray can jobs make the machine look worse.

I just give it a real nice wipe down with some industrial degreaser spray some tire shine on the tires.

Another thing I only resell good brands toro, ariens and honda everything else doesn't fetch good money for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Clean and shiney, as well as everything working, and competitively priced.

Looks and price are the attraction and good working condition seals the deal.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
here is what a good rattle can job looks like. i use a 36grit flap disc on my angle grinder, after that i use krylon rust tough primer. i then use duplicolor de1620. in this case i did the top of the bucket. paint was all peeled off like sheets of paper when i first got it. i ended up sanding away the decal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts