Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm preparing for the reality that my wife probably won't let me import my dream snowblower, add the fact that yamaha snowblowers in the USA don't get a warranty and the canadian border is closed, and nobody is getting a passport until next year, and, yeah... So, looking at the ariens linup, I like the efi/36"/hydro combo, but wheels are lame and lack traction. I would like to retrofit the rapidtracks to this blower, but I can't find the kit. I can find the kit for 14" tire models, but does anyone know if there is a kit for the 16" tire models? I figure this way I can at least come close to my dream of having a yamaha...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Forget about retrofitting. Anything that retrofits will cost you a lot. They want to sell you a new snowblower, not just the track kit. Ariens has a track conversion kit out there and it was something like $500. I don't think they are putting the Rapidtrak out there, yet. For the reason that I mentioned.

People tend to underestimate wheels and overestimate tracks. My neighbor had a Craftsman snowblower with tracks and he got rid of it in just one season due to hard turnings. Even with auto-turn, they seemed rough and heavy to handle. In packed snow, their tracks still spun as I saw in a few videos.

So, it doesn't matter what system that you have. There are advantages and disadvantages to them. You just learn to use them. If your snowblower came with tracks, then good for you. If not, don't think about it. It's not worth it.

A smarter/cheaper way would be putting two wheels on each side and more weights on them (like many 45" snowblowers out there). I saw them pushing 2-3 feet of snow with very little spinning.

Replacing tires are also easy.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Investing in a lawn mower with a snow blower + chains will run you about $3500.00+-
From www.earthtools.com
The BCS 722 with electric and recoil start $3,015 less added discounts
The BCS 24 inch single stage snow blower is $945.00

$3,960+tax + snow chains and wheel weights

The BCS single stage will clear snow 16 inches deep

Not much help, but the importing of a small Yanmar 9.5 horsepower track drive snow monster from a yanmar utv dealer in Ohio will be more; you could get a lot of snow removal accounts with it though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts