Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I fixed a broken string at the end on a Craftsman 5.5hp snowblower. I removed the cover, restrung the recoil mechanism and hooked it back up to the Snowblower. When I went to pull the string, there was no tension to make the string recoil. I took it off and hand wound the mechanism till I thought I had enough tension to make the string recoil. My question is there a certain amount of tension to put on the recoil mechanism? I gave it a few turns till I got some tension but didn't wind it too tight. The string broke again so when I replace the old string I want to make sure this time I rewind it with the proper tension. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I'm no expert, but I've rewound one or two starters. They've worked OK afterwards. If I was doing one now, this is how I'd set it:

- ensure there is still some spring tension when the cord is retracted fully. Enough to pull it in until the handle hits the recoil housing.
- ensure that, with the cord pulled out fully, the coil spring isn't fully tight. In other words, you want to run out of cord length before you wind up the spring fully.

I know, this isn't terribly "deep" advice. But it seems to me that if you meet both of these criteria, you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hello all. I fixed a broken string at the end on a Craftsman 5.5hp snowblower. I removed the cover, restrung the recoil mechanism and hooked it back up to the Snowblower. When I went to pull the string, there was no tension to make the string recoil. I took it off and hand wound the mechanism till I thought I had enough tension to make the string recoil. My question is there a certain amount of tension to put on the recoil mechanism? I gave it a few turns till I got some tension but didn't wind it too tight. The string broke again so when I replace the old string I want to make sure this time I rewind it with the proper tension. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There's a Donyboy73 video for that exact question on Youtube. I think its about 4 turns to wind the spring, but that could vary with the engine. He shows a method to test it before it goes on the engine to make sure it comes all the way out, and goes all the way back in without being too tight or loose

·
Registered
349 Posts
The string for recoils is somewhat special, much firmer, tighter woven than the same size you buy at stores like Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
View attachment 77281

View attachment 77297 ive used paracord and its just as good as stens trueblue, i used it because i ran out of the stens rope but it just as tough and it has a wear resistant nylon outer layer and a nylon inner core. ive used it for years with no issues
Whew, at first read, i thought you said you used Primeacord, the stuff used to set off explosives. I gotta get my eyes checked...:eek:k:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
When he said string, I was hoping he meant cord.:)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
...and maybe it takes a lot to get a blower going when its cold
Maybe, but having to have your arm reattached to your body everytime you start the snowblower would get OLD FAST.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts