Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't had much experience in this department but it's always been a concern of mine. Enough that I stop my augers / impeller when cars go by. The last thing I need is my machine throwing something other than snow or water. But I live in a busy road so this can be very time consuming at times.

I DO NOT BLOW SNOW IN THE STREET UNDER ANY CONDITIONS.

What behavior do you typically see when your machine eats a rock, stones or a ball etc? Does it generally go further than the snow, less far? How does the deflector angle effect it?

This has become an even greater concern of mine since speeding up my impeller with the bigger engine. But luckily there's typically nothing in my snow so I have nothing to base this on. I've been told by some friends that it seems to them like small driveway stones etc don't travel nearly as far as the snow.

I'd like to hear what your experiences have been and what the conditions and machine were.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Turn the chute down, blow straight ahead rather in the street.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turn the chute down, blow straight ahead rather in the street.
How is that an experience you've had? I'm looking for experiences. ;)

I do not blow in the street. Ever.
But I often blow forward aimed in a section of grass between me and the street.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
There are so many variables as to what you would suck into your blower, how you have it pointed, directed, etc... etc ....no two people are blowing with the same machine, identical areas, identical objects ... etc, etc ... impossible to compare.

Just be safe and don't have anyone around you, and in my area, it is illegal to discard snow in the street, and besides, you risk damage to anything going by.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How is that an experience you've had? I'm looking for experiences. ;)

I do not blow in the street. Ever.
But I often blow forward aimed in a section of grass between me and the street.
If you're not blowing into the street there's not much of a chance that you're gonna hit a passing car with anything.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
In my experience, rocks always fly farther than the snow and dirt. I am in a situation where I have to blow their dirt and debris back out of my parking area on a regular basis and have run stuff through my machine that would make most people cringe.

There is almost zero chance of traffic in my case but I must take care to avoid my own vehicles and pets if they happen to get out while I'm clearing snow.

Reactions: ChrisJ

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my experience, rocks always fly farther than the snow and dirt. I am in a situation where I have to blow their dirt and debris back out of my parking area on a regular basis and have run stuff through my machine that would make most people cringe.

There is almost zero chance of traffic in my case but I must take care to avoid my own vehicles and pets if they happen to get out while I'm clearing snow.

I had to edit my original post as I didn't need people thinking I blow snow in the road.
I can't stand it when people do that. Same with leaves, grass etc.

I blow into the grass by the road, but I do it at an angle often and rocks have always concerned me. I often have to blow towards my house, even vehicles as well and again, don't need to be throwing rocks at the windows.

I've also had the concern of something hitting the deflector and pushing it up which I'm sure could happen.

Unfortunately I deal with snow in very tight areas. Another reason I really need to fix it so the impeller will work one handed.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Not seeing much snowblower launched objects, I would expect the behavior and flight trajectory is fairly unpredictable depend on its shape, size, weight, and the amount of snow surrounding it.

However, I've always been extra cautious to lessen the chance of it happening. After a heavy snowfall, I go slow just so I can find the sidewalk/driveway edges. My neighborhood is pretty well maintained and I keep my sidewalk clean so if there is any debris, I'd sure track down the perp who put it there. The worse I've come across so far is frozen dog poop. This usually happens because the dog owner/walker has a phone on hand, rather than a dog poop recovery bag.

As a few people have already mentioned, there are safe practices that reduces the chance of launching objects and mitigating its damage potential. Keep deflector angle low, never direct chute toward any windows, cars, house, or people.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The nice light fluffy clean snow in my driveway gets put on my lawn.
The yucky messy dirty stuff the plow puts at the end of my driveway I throw between the sidewalk and the road where the plow left a bank going all the way up the street. I am just adding to it.
So I have to aim it perfectly so it falls on top of the pile. And yes, ice and any debris goes farther then the snow. There is 50 feet between my driveway and my neighbors so I usually have to lower the chute a bit so as not to throw into his area.
If there is a lot of traffic or people walking then I stop until the coast is clear, but sometimes cars come up from behind me and I don't know they are there until they pass me, but I have found that they usually give me lots of room so as not to get their car hit with anything.
I have been clearing my driveway the same way for the past 21 years and never had an incident yet.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I haven't had much experience in this department but it's always been a concern of mine. Enough that I stop my augers / impeller when cars go by. The last thing I need is my machine throwing something other than snow or water. But I live in a busy road so this can be very time consuming at times.

I DO NOT BLOW SNOW IN THE STREET UNDER ANY CONDITIONS.

What behavior do you typically see when your machine eats a rock, stones or a ball etc? Does it generally go further than the snow, less far? How does the deflector angle effect it?

This has become an even greater concern of mine since speeding up my impeller with the bigger engine. But luckily there's typically nothing in my snow so I have nothing to base this on. I've been told by some friends that it seems to them like small driveway stones etc don't travel nearly as far as the snow.

I'd like to hear what your experiences have been and what the conditions and machine were.
rocks and ice go farther for sure especially with the impeller kit
iam careful with aim no worrys about the street i clear it completely and place it on the sidewalk across the street i do stop if a car comes not fair they drive under my 60 foot throws
cant wait to try out the 414 with the sho pulley this yr the one good test looked to be 65 feet aimed straight ahead
also the st10/24 rust bucket with the new 3.25 pulley with kit should be 50 feet
rocks and ice go way far far

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rocks and ice go farther for sure especially with the impeller kit
iam careful with aim no worrys about the street i clear it completely and place it on the sidewalk across the street i do stop if a car comes not fair they drive under my 60 foot throws
cant wait to try out the 414 with the sho pulley this yr the one good test looked to be 65 feet aimed straight ahead
also the st10/24 rust bucket with the new 3.25 pulley with kit should be 50 feet
rocks and ice go way far far

Wait.

You place the snow on a sidewalk across the street?
Seems rather wrong, doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me the key is to walk the property I will be blowing BEFORE THE STORM HITS. I clear that area of anything I don't want to have the blower run over.
I do also, but we have a lot of foot traffic being on the main street of a small town so you never know what happened during the storm. Like I said, I haven't had an issue yet, I'd just like to keep it that way.

There's also the issue with the huge amount of snow plowed in from the road with who knows what in it and that's mainly what I get to work with. I did have it eat a plastic water or soda bottle last year.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
For me the key is to walk the property I will be blowing BEFORE THE STORM HITS. I clear that area of anything I don't want to have the blower run over.
I do this when possible; the only issue is that the storms sometimes blow additional sticks down that lurk under the snow, and of course the EOD pile can contain pretty much ANYTHING. At least I solved the newspaper-in-the-driveway problem by going to digital delivery. ;)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Wait.

You place the snow on a sidewalk across the street?
Seems rather wrong, doesn't it?
no its never used or cleared of snow ever
i place it on both sidewalks and neighbors yard when needed they dont care we have been friends 60 years
i clear my sidewalk for fun no otheer sidewalk in the devolpment is cleared
i shoot for the 3 foot wide area between our fences but its not perfect
almost always lots of wind when iam blowing

·
Registered
2022 Ariens Kraken
51 Posts
Rocks go far, dog poop goes about as far as the snow unless its frozen, then it goes far. Sticks, it all depends on the size and how its ingested and ice chunks go the distance too. Treat it like a firearm, never point it in the direction of anything you do not want to damage. Aim the chute down if you cant avoid aiming any particular way to limit the distance it throws. When I approach the end of my driveway I turn the chute as far to one way as I can and then I start to angle my machine in the direction of the chute for the last 3 feet of the driveway or so. I then go perpendicular to my driveway to clean up the end by the road as a direct the snow into the ditch.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
After you operate a snowblower for a while, you will understand how to use it properly, and take the necessary steps to operate it safely.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts