Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Im trying to figure out if he's busting my chops or genuinely doesn't remember me.
Well, you did say this:
I haven't had much experience in this department but it's always been a concern of mine.
I've been driving snowblowers for just shy of 60 years and am still learning.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, you did say this:

I've been driving snowblowers for just shy of 60 years and am still learning.
Ok.....
That's true. I guess I asked for it.

I meant I haven't had much experience with the machine eating rocks etc. I've been using this one since 2014 I think and my first time using one was 1993.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
I don't think i have ever thrown a rock with my snowblower. I have an asphalt driveway.
I think I've thrown gravel, rocks, dog bones, dog poop, dog toys, tennis balls, newspapers, sticks, sprinkler heads, wood chunks, rope pieces, door mats, tarp shreds, nuts and bolts, extension cords, and maybe a few other things I've forgotten... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Many years ago, where I used to live, under the snow, I caught an end of a nylon rope in the auger, needless to say, that did not go well, and a very time-consuming repair....

From that point on, I always do a walk around of any area prior to the snow event that I am going to blow.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
My father instilled a great respect in me for the dangers and hazards when operating and being in the vicinity of a running a snow blower.

Try to inspect the area for hazards (large rocks, sticks, newspapers etc) before the storm hits. Never blow snow towards people, pets, vehicles, windows etc.
Take your time, it's not a race. Respect your neighbours property and the property lines. Don't blow snow onto the street, be aware of vehicles and pedestrians especially when doing the EOD pile and side walks. Set your scraper bar to the correct height for the terrain and driveway type and condition.

I find the biggest risk of hitting something or launching projectiles, is after a storm when you are helping out a neighbour by blowing their driveway or EOD pile and are not that familiar with the terrain and unaware what may be lurking under the snow fall.

I have yet to break a shear bolt (touch wood), but have launched stones, ice chunks and sticks through my machines. Especially during the last 4 years on our 250' gravel U shaped driveway, mainly early in the season before the ground is frozen and a snow pack has been built up. We had the driveway paved this summer, so looking forward to smoother going and blowing less gravel through my machines. I have blown a lot of snow over the years on the lawn for path ways and dog runs etc., so I always check these areas for potential hazards also. In the fall I will put out marker poles to identify permanent hazards and driveway edges etc..

This is the very machine I began using when I was 10 or 11 years old and continue to use 47 years later.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium GOT Member
10,007 Posts
I think I've thrown gravel, rocks, dog bones, dog poop, dog toys, tennis balls, newspapers, sticks, sprinkler heads, wood chunks, rope pieces, door mats, tarp shreds, nuts and bolts, extension cords, and maybe a few other things I've forgotten... :rolleyes:
well i do spend about 10 minutes in the fall before the snow flies to make sure area is clean.....learned that the hard way after eating a small tarp that took 2 hours to clean out. Had to remove the whole auger assembly.

decks are the real hazard when it comes to stuff left out. After i installed an impeller kit in my old 80 neighbor was complaining that i was hitting his house with ice pieces from the berm.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think I've thrown gravel, rocks, dog bones, dog poop, dog toys, tennis balls, newspapers, sticks, sprinkler heads, wood chunks, rope pieces, door mats, tarp shreds, nuts and bolts, extension cords, and maybe a few other things I've forgotten...
Quite a comprehensive list. One of my blowers has an affinity for white wire Christmas lawn ornaments, extension cords and the safety chains on my snowmobile trailers.

Window Water Plant Drinkware Font

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Quite a comprehensive list. One of my blowers has an affinity for white wire Christmas lawn ornaments, extension cords and the safety chains on my snowmobile trailers.

View attachment 199613

Those reindeer aren't positioned the way I usually see them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
On a similar vein, a few years ago the ODOT operator on US 26 set the chute wrong on one of the big Hwy Rotories, and took out several windows and a headlight and grill on several homes in our HOA which backs up to US 26. The snow had to go 60 to 80 ft through trees to hit the houses.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Around here, they don't really "sand" the streets...it seems more like pea-sized gravel. I am usually raking it out of the grass in the spring and putting it on a parking area next to the main driveway.

When I am clearing the end-of-driveway slush and snow, I will usually see gravel shooting out of the top of the chute. And no, I don't have a gravel driveway. It is somewhat entertaining to see sparks when the gravel shoots out of the chute, though. It is because of that I aim the chute as far away from the street as is practical.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Let's just say it was a bit surprising the first time it happened. I initially thought there might be something flying out of the muffler, but that was not the case.

Reactions: tabora

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sparks out of the chute while blowing snow, now there is one I have not heard before ...... :)
See.

If I didn't start this thread you would've never known about that.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
The problem with being young and working long hours was that I was rarely at home even remotely near the time a storm started. Usually I would get home well after dark or get up in the wee hours to tackle an overnight storm. No matter how many times I policed the drive and walk, inevitably I would run across something new and fun on the walkways around the house, the dog runs, etc. Oh well, no harm, no foul except for the occasional Honda shear bolt... At least the HSS1332AATD doesn't seem to break those thanks to the Auger Shear Bolt Guard System.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts